USA - Police State here we come!

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Vicarious Reality said:
OhJohnNo said:
Lionsfan said:
Is this the bill Anon has been going on about? My guess is that it's not as bad as people are making it, otherwise it never would have passed with such flying colors.

And plus, if the government wants to imprison/interrogate you, well they'll do it anyways regardless of whatever bill is out there
Was that the video with the theme tune and masked man with several different computerised voices? I'm 90% sure that wasn't the "real" Anonymous (the 40 or so members at the core, who are actually dangerous). In fact, I think it was somebody trying to imitate and discredit Anonymous by making a ridiculously terrible video.
.... what.

You don't have the faintest idea of what anonymous is do you
Are you one of those people who claim that "Anyone can be anonymous if they want to be"?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
At work, I have a sheet of paper telling me all the 2 letter codes for each state, I circle the ones in red so I know never to go within 200 miles of that state's borders.

Maybe I should just, I dunno, circle the entire fucking list.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
T8B95 said:
I think Carlin said it best:

Anyone who thinks that they still have rights is kidding themselves.
Sadly, that is the exact video I thought of when I saw this thread. I say sadly, because he is so right that it is pathetic.

So, who's taking bets on when American Revolution 2.0 happens?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
kebab4you said:
Syzygy23 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Didn't the White House already say they would veto this into the dirt? And besides, it'd never hold up against the Supreme Court.
Yeah, about that... See, Obama realized that he was only going to be remembered as "The first Black President". That wasn't good enough for him. Now hes aiming to be "The biggest hypocritical prick in the history of the USA."

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/15/obama_to_sign_indefinite_detention_bill_into_law/singleton/

I have lost what little respect I had for him.
He also backed down on his veto against SOPA, so I really hope he doesn't get re-elected, but then again, what sane person do the US got left then to represent them?
Yeah... still waiting on him to go ahead and end those two wars he said he was going to end as part of his campaign. We're about 2 years overdue on that. Oh, and since then, he's sent more troops, and involved us in two MORE wars that have absolutely nothing to do with the US. My family would greatly appreciate having our family members back from Afghanistan. Aaaaanytime he's ready.

Oh, and I loved the shoot-down of the jobs bill he touted we needed so badly because it had a compromise in it that would create even more jobs and wealth (pipeline from canada). *sigh*

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
PhantomEcho said:
Sjakie said:
im getting a lot of use out of this video:

whenever i see or read about some American saying/complaining about their rights, i just laugh nowadays about his/her stupidity.

George Carlin was a very, very funny man.

One of my favorites, even.

But only very, very ignorant ones take his words as gospel.

You can sit on your hands and roll your eyes and make all the jokes in the world you want... but if you want to effect any kind of change, if you want to uphold any semblance of civilization, then you have to accept the philosophy that there are such things as 'intangibles'.

You can't see or touch or taste or smell them. We've "made them all up", as Carlin would say.

But they have significance and meaning. They're there, and disregarding them isn't the same thing as disregarding religions' "morality" because these are things we have all agreed on and signed into practice and made a part of our lives.

And you can strip all the significance away, if you like. You can make it seem pointless to ever care about anything or anyone and to just go about your merry day being a predictable ass.

But that doesn't do any good for anyone.

You have rights assigned to you by law. Laws which are broken ever day, because people are inherently dicks... but laws all the same. And like predictable asses, dickish laws can be fought and overturned with enough support. Sometimes it's a revolution, sometimes it's just a lot of protests and rioting in the streets.

But the one thing that doesn't fix anything?

Laughing and calling everyone who actually does give a fuck stupid.

Even Carlin didn't call them stupid. Crazy? Sure... but what human isn't!? We're pretty much designed to be completely batshit mental!

But he most certainly never called them stupid.
Im with you for the most part. Carlin was a genius, his humor was easy to understand for everybody of all age groups 12+, his subjects like religion, law, God and common sense are normally on the heavy side of discussions and debate. He made it so that even people who normally dont worry and talk about those things got an easy to understand glance on the subject and his humor kept those under-educated brains from exploding. He offered a fun, first step into a learningprocess over those subjects. It's why i often post this video in topics about this.

He often called Americans stupid because they do not take action when 'Basic human rights' get violated like it is the case now.

As for me laughing about it. I am not American and im not suppossed to get involved in how they make their laws. It is not my place to do something about the rights of people in other countries, they should do that themselves. If that is wrong, then we should get rid of the whole idea of countries in the first place. 'We' dont tell 'you' what to do and the other way around ofcourse, basic respect.
So i laugh about it because you see so much Americans being 'outraged' and 'upset', when stuff like this happens. I see those Americans more and more, which would make it a good thing since that would mean somebody would do something about it eventually...but no...it only gets worse and worse at an increasing rate.

so i laugh because that is all i can do, otherwise it would just be something to cry about.

Ofcourse i'll be cheering and laughing at my TV/PC when the riots/protests and revolution kicks off.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Every American in this thread is now going to be taken into government custody and detained indefinitely without due process under suspicion of terrorist activity, just fyi.

Just kidding! (probably)

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Vausch said:
Remember the PATRIOT Act? House 357 to 66, Senate 98 to 1.
chadachada123 said:
*cough* PATRIOT Act *cough.*

Congress can do whatever the hell they want. They've got an approval rating percentage that is frequently in the single digits, but no one has the balls to do anything because they constantly blame the OTHER congressmen rather than the one that they voted for.
I do remember the PATRIOT Act, I remember hearing about how America was taking the first steps towards a Police State, and that it was the biggest disgrace to America ever, and next we would have Police squads roaming around and that it proved Republican's were the worst thing in the world ever.

So what happened to all that? There's no doubt it's a questionable law, but don't you think there's a chance that most of the doom and gloom scenario's people are spouting off is just hyperbole? Or if you want to jump on a "Liberal-Media Conspiracy" well then everybody stopped talking about it when Obama signed a 4 year renewal on the act. Either way, the PATRIOT Act hasn't exactly lived up to it's hype as the "destroyer of American life"[footnote]@[user]chadachada123[/user], I agree with you about the problems in Congress though, more often than not people blame other Reps besides the one they vote for. However, my point about the Government interrogating you if they felt like it was more toward the CIA, NSA type of groups[/footnote]

Vivi22 said:
And the other half of the problem are people so unbelievably naive that they actually suggest this can't be that bad or it wouldn't have passed so easily.

This bill is such an offensive assault on the rights of US citizens that if there were any justice in the world Americans would be taking to the streets in mass protest at the very least.
boag said:
The reason it passed, is because its political suicide to vote against the defense bill.

But this bill and the SOPA bill are 2 of the most aggravated assaults against freedom in general. Its the first steps Dictatorships take to establish a stranglehold on a country
See my point up above. It seems like every couple years we have another bill/law that will destroy life as we know it for Americans, and nothing really pans out.

What I'm saying is that I seriously doubt the US is going to turn into a police state off of this act. Maybe you can argue that it's the first step, that's more plausible than saying "RIP Bill of Rights 1791-2011". So saying people are naive because they aren't immediately protesting the bill is just silly. The bill isn't going to overturn the Geneva Convention, and they can't just grab American Citizens or legal Aliens either.

From the Bill, nothing in the bill can be
construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.
It's targeted specifically for Terror Suspects, which is an entirely new topic. If people want to talk about suspects being held indefinitely by the US military without cause, well that's legit. But it isn't legit to say how this bill is the biggest threat to freedom in America

Also, the Bill helps Gay Marriage toward the steps of being 100% legal. After DADT was repealed the House passed measures to try and prevent the Pentagon from recognizing Gay Marriage, which this bill now removes, stating that Military-Chaplains have the right to opt out of ceremonies if if goes against their beliefs. Funny how no one is talking about that part of the bill

Logarithmic Limbo

Mar 13, 2011
"In democracy you get the goverment you deserve. Alternately you deserve the government you got."

- Josef Heller

"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered."

- Dorothy Thompson

"Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order."

- John V. Lindsay

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."

- Abraham Lincoln

"When they came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

- Martin Niemöller

It is a slippery slope, we know this since time immemorial. Why do we keep forgetting this? Are we still, in this day and age, still so easily distracted by "bread and circuses"? Have we not come further than this?

Logarithmic Limbo

Mar 13, 2011
MistahFixIt said:
I'm not one to advocate violence, but I have the depressing sensation that the only way things are going to change in the United States is with an awful, bloody paradigm shift. An American version of The French Revolution, more likely than not.
Well, don't they say that there are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty, the soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Lionsfan said:
What I'm saying is that I seriously doubt the US is going to turn into a police state off of this act.
That may be entirely true. The trouble is, it does open individuals to being victimized by this law. Whether it ever affects the lives of the majority of American citizens isn't the issue, the issue is whether or not anyone will suffer due to this law. Because if anyone has their freedoms trampled by it and is denied their right to a fair trial, then the law has done it's damage.

There is already enough abuse of power going on in the American justice system without giving the people who perpetrate such abuses broader powers to violate people's freedoms and get away with it.

Any law the curtails rights which are supposed to protect people from government abuse should be fought, regardless of how many people it ends up affecting in reality. There needs to be a very strong reason for curtailing freedoms, and I find it difficult to believe there is any justification for removing the right to a fair trial for anyone being held in custody for any crime.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Lionsfan said:
What I'm saying is that I seriously doubt the US is going to turn into a police state off of this act.
That may be entirely true. The trouble is, it does open individuals to being victimized by this law. Whether it ever affects the lives of the majority of American citizens isn't the issue, the issue is whether or not anyone will suffer due to this law. Because if anyone has their freedoms trampled by it and is denied their right to a fair trial, then the law has done it's damage.

There is already enough abuse of power going on in the American justice system without giving the people who perpetrate such abuses broader powers to violate people's freedoms and get away with it.

Any law the curtails rights which are supposed to protect people from government abuse should be fought, regardless of how many people it ends up affecting in reality. There needs to be a very strong reason for curtailing freedoms, and I find it difficult to believe there is any justification for removing the right to a fair trial for anyone being held in custody for any crime.
Now there's something everyone can agree with.

Maybe I'm just feeling extra jaded lately, but it always pisses me off when people go all 2012 on every single controversial bill that comes around, although I guess that's just a product of our culture nowadays

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Lionsfan said:
Now there's something everyone can agree with.

Maybe I'm just feeling extra jaded lately, but it always pisses me off when people go all 2012 on every single controversial bill that comes around, although I guess that's just a product of our culture nowadays
Too true. The internet is the land of hyperbole so it can be hard to keep things in perspective sometimes. Of course, if anything, that means we have to be twice as careful to not let the bad stuff slip by unnoticed. I'm certainly guilty of sometimes giving headlines a quick eye roll before making myself actually read and consider the issue being raised.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Not surprised, but still disappointed. Decades ago this government was bought and pocketed by big business, extremist christians, and the mob while the people it was supposed to represent and protect were thrown overboard.
Apathy is pumped directly into the populace 24/7 in the form of consumerism and banal media, and anyone in control is merely interested in maintaining their power if not accumulating more. We're basically shell-shocked and compliant from fear and unwilling to admit it, preferring to build up a veneer of "normalcy". Any dissenting voices are drowned out and culled by not only the authorities, but by the subconscious of our society and the fear of being outed as "an enemy of the state". They are singled out, and that is the most effective form of control. Keep reminding them that a single person can do nothing.
I admire Lolsec, Anonymous, and the Occupy Movement for their energy, strength of character, and willingness to refuse to stay in line. I don't however have any hope that these people will bring about any real discernible change. I will grow old and frail and die knowing that some day there will be a disaster brought about to this nation by our own collective hand that will finally bring about a new era for this land, but I will never fool myself into thinking that I have a nation in which I can believe.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
theultimateend said:
Fleischer said:
It is difficult to type this comment, amid all of my headdesking, but I am done with Obama.

Ron Paul is the only hope for my country.
President is basically a talking head.

Unless you vote on the congressional level you will never see change. They are the folks doing most of the bad stuff :p.
Not anymore. The Executive Branch should have roughly a third of the federal government's power; however, Bush W. expanded, without checks from the other two branches of government, the President's power. The President's freedom to have de facto wars, as well as order the assassination of people - including US citizens, creates a situation where the person who gains the Presidency has the greatest public power in the government. (Who actually controls the power through backroom deals is another issue I am completely ill informed.)

I vote in all elections in my community - those for local, state and national level. I call my Senator's offices and voice my concern over key political issue - such as the Citizens United vs Federal Election Commission ruling. I do what I can to create a better today and tomorrow.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Sjakie said:
PhantomEcho said:
Sjakie said:
im getting a lot of use out of this video:

whenever i see or read about some American saying/complaining about their rights, i just laugh nowadays about his/her stupidity.

George Carlin was a very, very funny man.

One of my favorites, even.

But only very, very ignorant ones take his words as gospel.

You can sit on your hands and roll your eyes and make all the jokes in the world you want... but if you want to effect any kind of change, if you want to uphold any semblance of civilization, then you have to accept the philosophy that there are such things as 'intangibles'.

You can't see or touch or taste or smell them. We've "made them all up", as Carlin would say.

But they have significance and meaning. They're there, and disregarding them isn't the same thing as disregarding religions' "morality" because these are things we have all agreed on and signed into practice and made a part of our lives.

And you can strip all the significance away, if you like. You can make it seem pointless to ever care about anything or anyone and to just go about your merry day being a predictable ass.

But that doesn't do any good for anyone.

You have rights assigned to you by law. Laws which are broken ever day, because people are inherently dicks... but laws all the same. And like predictable asses, dickish laws can be fought and overturned with enough support. Sometimes it's a revolution, sometimes it's just a lot of protests and rioting in the streets.

But the one thing that doesn't fix anything?

Laughing and calling everyone who actually does give a fuck stupid.

Even Carlin didn't call them stupid. Crazy? Sure... but what human isn't!? We're pretty much designed to be completely batshit mental!

But he most certainly never called them stupid.
Im with you for the most part. Carlin was a genius, his humor was easy to understand for everybody of all age groups 12+, his subjects like religion, law, God and common sense are normally on the heavy side of discussions and debate. He made it so that even people who normally dont worry and talk about those things got an easy to understand glance on the subject and his humor kept those under-educated brains from exploding. He offered a fun, first step into a learningprocess over those subjects. It's why i often post this video in topics about this.

He often called Americans stupid because they do not take action when 'Basic human rights' get violated like it is the case now.

As for me laughing about it. I am not American and im not suppossed to get involved in how they make their laws. It is not my place to do something about the rights of people in other countries, they should do that themselves. If that is wrong, then we should get rid of the whole idea of countries in the first place. 'We' dont tell 'you' what to do and the other way around ofcourse, basic respect.
So i laugh about it because you see so much Americans being 'outraged' and 'upset', when stuff like this happens. I see those Americans more and more, which would make it a good thing since that would mean somebody would do something about it eventually...but no...it only gets worse and worse at an increasing rate.

so i laugh because that is all i can do, otherwise it would just be something to cry about.

Ofcourse i'll be cheering and laughing at my TV/PC when the riots/protests and revolution kicks off.

Hey... when you put it that way... I actually agree with you wholeheartedly. I mean, there's not a lot you can do looking from the outside in. It's really up to Americans to finally get up off their asses and start making decisions for themselves again. And it's starting. Slowly, but steadily, it's starting.

If it can pick up momentum... there's a chance.

But if it dies out, yeah. You have to laugh at the stupidity of it all just to keep from wondering what the fuck is wrong with the world.

Still. Carlin, he's a damn genius. I miss him more every day.

Something tells me that right about now, we could have used a guy like him. Nothing helps fight complacency and despair like comedy does... and nobody had more insightful comedy about the American way of life than Carlin did.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
PhantomEcho said:
The reason you don't hear much more than that... is that any organization that professes to be a militant armed force against the government gets promptly dismantled. So it's probably best for them all to not go around advertising their information on forums.
It's not only that. The second amendment is often mistaken for a carte blanche for illegal activities, such as plotting against the government.

Look, some countries don't even allow firearms. You'd think that if they try to do something illegal like taking down the government they won't be bothered with the moral implications of owning illegal firearms anyway.

We all know that civilians can't stand a chance against professional soldiers. Why would you want to face a soldier in combat instead of just crafting explosives? In my opinion, an explosive is more easily transported than a firearm (which are plain obvious unless everyone is wearing trench coats) and not only causes damage to structures and assets, it also wrecks the moral of any trooper.

It has not come down to a matter of not hearing about it, but hearing it every day as an excuse to insult Europe as a whole while not even being able to witness their own loss of freedom.

Every time I bring up the Patriot Act or a similar bill, I am called "stupid" and I really "don't know anything about freedom, one day my guns will be taken away too".

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Fleischer said:
theultimateend said:
Fleischer said:
It is difficult to type this comment, amid all of my headdesking, but I am done with Obama.

Ron Paul is the only hope for my country.
President is basically a talking head.

Unless you vote on the congressional level you will never see change. They are the folks doing most of the bad stuff :p.
Not anymore. The Executive Branch should have roughly a third of the federal government's power; however, Bush W. expanded, without checks from the other two branches of government, the President's power. The President's freedom to have de facto wars, as well as order the assassination of people - including US citizens, creates a situation where the person who gains the Presidency has the greatest public power in the government. (Who actually controls the power through backroom deals is another issue I am completely ill informed.)

I vote in all elections in my community - those for local, state and national level. I call my Senator's offices and voice my concern over key political issue - such as the Citizens United vs Federal Election Commission ruling. I do what I can to create a better today and tomorrow.
Well as long as people vote more for Congressional runners than Presidential I think you'd always see a positive return :).

It's the Fetish for the Presidency that is failing modern US politics.

But yeah Bush did get lots of cool new powers. Cool if you are the President at least.

Kudos to you on your latter comments, people who vote in all levels are fantastic and should be showered with their preferred sexual partners. (Because in a perfect world those people would be so hot for politically educated folks)

Ulvenbror

Jun 13, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
Ulvenbror said:
Well, now that is surprising!
So there are US Americans who really believe they are not already living for well over 60 years in a police state?

A lie told a 100 times does NOT become truth but, it apparently does become the "accepted truth".

Thanks ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, Hollywood and the church in general!
Keep up the good work guiding the herd!
Please, stop. I'm not even disagreeing, but when you present your views with a such a slimey sense of smug superiority it makes me disregard everything you say. Not that "teh media is teh evulz, you are all teh sheeple!" is really worth listening to anyway, though.

Anyway, it seems we need a refresher on what a police state is. Guess what? In a police state, you can't say it's a police state. If you can have a militia full of raving wing-nuts, own enough guns to take on the local police department and regular post about this on the internet, chances are you aren't in fact living in a police state.

I'm not saying this isn't bad, because it is. But it's also not a police state, and saying that makes people less likely to listen to you.
Yeah, you've got me there!
It is better than a police state.
That's the wonder of it all: they (read, the people that own the stuff that moves the country) can achieve a greater level of control than poor China can, precisely because it isn't "out in the open" for the common folk, like in a strict sense police state. Chinese government does an amateur job of it. They should take lessons from the US of A.

The media isn't evil, no one is "evil". The media is only the best instrument of control available to those who can and want to manipulate the population. Evil and good is for idealists, the world is run by power and power is above (or below) morality. Morality is, to a considerable extent, influenced by those with power.

And please, I am not smug. I'm sarcastic and useless.
Like the drunken beggar that preaches to people in his "free time".

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
The Virgo said:
Terminate421 said:
The bill of rights stops this dead in its tracks
Wait, you REALLY think the bill of rights is going to stop this?

Dude, when was the last time a politician did something to help the actual people? Like then they pumped billions of dollars into banks?
Thank you for this entire post.

Basically, this stated everything I feel on the subject... outside of just going on a tirade for the next hour about being disgusted with how little my "Fellow Amerikans" care about (even the illusion of) their freedoms being taken away. The "Bill of Temporary Privelages" doesn't matter for squat in the first place, and even if it somehow did, most Amerikans seem to give a rat's ass about what their own government does until it becomes their own physical problem...