Useless Facts, The Best Kind of Facts

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
In France, 1740, a cow was hanged for being a witch.

Yuji Naka, a programmer who worked on the original Sonic the Hedgehog and NiGHTS into Dreams, hates Sonic R.

The air you are currently breathing only contains about 21% oxygen.

Winston Churchill called the first tanks 'Landships'.

ghstman

Nov 20, 2009
My name is Fiction said:
Super Six One said:
Dogs cannot look up.
"Yes they can!"
Of course they can't. Last I checked, dogs don't know how to read a dictionary.

...I'll just pack my things and go.

Content:

The mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs (Called the KT Extinction Event) was not the only mass extinction to occur, much less the largest. Granted they weren't all quite so sudden as the KT event (the Triassic-Jurassic event happened over about 10,000 years).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Extinction_intensity.svg

X-axis is millions of years ago, y axis is the percentage of species that got wiped out. Letters at the top are the different time periods (Tr - Triassic, J - Jurassic, etc...) The second significant peak from the right is the one where all the dinosaurs died out. (where section K and Pg meet.)

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza a day.

It costs the US Mint approximately 1.5 cents to make every 1 cent coin (and approximately 6 cents to make the nickel, worth 5 cents). This means that they lose money on every penny and nickel they produce ? a total of $22million in 2009 alone.

Walt Disney received one full-size, and seven miniature Oscar statuettes for Snow White.

aeroblaster

Nov 10, 2009
scatmanfan said:
Unless you're 32, you haven't lived for a billion seconds. I actually did the math on that one, as it seemed preposterous. 32 isn't exact, but I didn't go so far into the math as to see EXACTLY when you'd hit a billion seconds.
1 billion seconds = 31 years 8 months 15 days 17 hours 46 minutes 40 seconds

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Sn1P3r M98 said:
DarkRyter said:
People with green eyes can't see dogs.
Uhhh, I have green eyes. And I can see my dog. Am I missing something here?
I've gotten this kind of response at least three times now.

New fact, then. People with green eyes don't understand penny arcade jokes I reference.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/3/22/

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
lacktheknack said:
The longest word in the world is 1185 characters long.

Also, the fear of long words is called "Hippopotomonstrosesquipidaliophobia".
i know that the longest word in the english language is the chemical name for titin but im not sure if that counts as your talking about the world, it has 189,819 letters.

http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.html

darn ninjas

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Here's one I hear: Ever 50-72 seconds, someone in the world says mustard.
How did they calculate that?

And for that matter who calculated that?

kurupt87 said:
You only ever breathe through one nostril at a time, never both.
So why if you breath in through your nose and put one finger near both you can feel air inflow on both fingers?

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
People used to think blowing smoke up someone's arse would save them from drowning.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Rockchimp69 said:
Talal Provides said:
Rockchimp69 said:
Out of the millions of races of animal on our planet, only 1 known race has biological immortality. That is to say, it can keep on living forever as long as it isn't killed or doesn't run out of food.
And they're immortal because every time they have sex, they revert back to being a child.
Although most of them never survive much longer than the average human, between 40 and 70 years I believe but I can't really remember.
What creature is that?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
If you click your index and thumb together, the noise isn't coming from your fingers rubbing against each other but your finger hitting your palm

The voice acting who played ducky in the land before time was murdered by her abusive dad

The woman who did the voice for Sarabi in The Lion King (Mufasas wife) died of Lung Cancer.

I got loads of useless facts
I'm pretty sure the first one is false, and the other two are just depressing.

Sorry to be a dick, but I'm just sayin'.

OT:

The small piece of waxy flesh connecting the finger and the external fingernail is called a cuticle. Although, that's pretty commonly known.

Cotton swabs remove only a fraction of ones' built up earwax, and will often cause an impacted mass of earwax.

The actual name for earwax is 'Cerumen'.

Asspennies. No reason behind that last one word sentence, I just felt like typing it out.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Eggsnham said:

Try it yourself, snap your middle finger and thumb together and the sound comes from your middle finger hitting your palm, not the fingers. It seems really obvious once you listen

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Eggsnham said:

Try it yourself, snap your middle finger and thumb together and the sound comes from your middle finger hitting your palm, not the fingers. It seems really obvious once you listen
I put something in between to stop any fingerpalm contact and I still got the noise.

Although there was less than with fingerpalm contact, there was still noise.

We should contact Mythbusters..

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Eggsnham said:
I put something in between to stop any fingerpalm contact and I still got the noise.

Although there was less than with fingerpalm contact, there was still noise.

We should contact Mythbusters..
I trust my logic with it, maybe it's because there is still noise being made from your finger hitting the object but not as much as the palm
I dunno
I'm too tired
Giant case of cba to say if it's right or wrong so fuck it lets get mythbusters