Utah creates 5 person commission to regulate one trans girl playing sports

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Because the function is to place oversight of trans people in sport under political control (of Republicans).

The commission's members are appointed by varied elements of the Utah government all of whom are solidly Republican. So Republicans appoint commission members guaranteed to come out with the right opinions, whilst also keeping themselves at a safe remove from controversy because the commission is "independent". The commission members being immune from legal suits leaves them more free to rule as they please.
Which they then say isn't good enough and reject the student. Or give them the run around and demand more and more invasive tests, which never quite hit the standard they're looking for.

The important thing to remember is that they don't actually care about fairness: the GOP would shutter girls sports in a heartbeat to save a dollar if it weren't for Title 9
Just to be clear here, I wanted Tstorm to answer it. Because they seem to be under some illusion of what this process is.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Would you guess, there's nothing in that bill that empowers anyone to inspect people's bodies?

What does this commission do then? " (A) hear the information that supports the student's eligibility; " That's all. What information are they hearing? "Any information the student wishes to disclose to the commission that may be relevant to the commission's eligibility determination," and/or from any medical professionals or other witnesses the student chooses to include to support the student's eligibility."

You're all way too gullible.
It's like all those "anti-CRT" bills that have banned CRT yet none of them ban anything about CRT...

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I actually, though the governor was pretty nice to trans-people in his letter to why he rejected the anti-trans sports bill. It's just that state legislatures are full of jerks who don't care about anyone but their in-group.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I actually, though the governor was pretty nice to trans-people in his letter to why he rejected the anti-trans sports bill. It's just that state legislatures are full of jerks who don't care about anyone but their in-group.
I'm actually very suprised that someone just did some basic research.

Unfortunately, now they will be a demonic pedophile forever for this

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But hey, closed door meetings involving young kids, sports, and coaches immune to reprisal have never been hotbeds of sexual abuse before, right?
There is no closed door meeting with young kids. Read the bill. At no point is the child intended to be in contact with the commission without parents/guardians/medical professionals/witnesses present. The only "closed door" part of the process is the commission deliberating, which the child isn't present for.
Maybe you could help me out here. Why is there a commission at all? Why couldn't this be done a letter of the expert of the students choosing?
Because you can get an "expert" to sign literally anything. You know how many doctors have signed off on terrible things for a quick buck? Putting absolute authority in the hands of the doctor for something like this would incentivize a market for doctors willing to sign off on this sort of thing regardless of circumstances.

Like, the real shocking thing here is that aren't just saying no. Ya'll would have been less outraged if they just said "no, only girls in girls sports, the end."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
There is no closed door meeting with young kids. Read the bill. At no point is the child intended to be in contact with the commission without parents/guardians/medical professionals/witnesses present. The only "closed door" part of the process is the commission deliberating, which the child isn't present for.

Because you can get an "expert" to sign literally anything. You know how many doctors have signed off on terrible things for a quick buck? Putting absolute authority in the hands of the doctor for something like this would incentivize a market for doctors willing to sign off on this sort of thing regardless of circumstances.

Like, the real shocking thing here is that aren't just saying no. Ya'll would have been less outraged if they just said "no, only girls in girls sports, the end."
When you do a commission/ investigation, you usually provide EVIDENCE of wrong doing beforehand. Not pretending that wrong doing might be there. What this bill is doing is presuming guilt... at least by how you are framing it here

And it still doesn't reach any sort of snuff test because any transition, including puberty blockers, usually has 3 experts on it. It's almost like a commission is already done before any transition is made. And by almost like, I actually mean mandatory

There are way easier things to make a quick buck off. And things that are way less controversial that doesn't require you to be insulted just for doing it. The doctors that use Ivermectin for treating Covid are well known. Hiding this incredibly hard.... but it leads people to realise that if it WAS about experts, the commison would be ABOUT experts. Not the children. We would also hopefully realise that malpractice is already a thing. 'Experts wiritng dodgy scripts' is already covered under the law and wouldn't need a extra law that targets a particular demographic

What would be more acceptable is a commison looking at malpractice of doctors and maybe some kids providing evidence. BUT you need to provide some form of evidence of malpractice before any commission is started. I can't believe I have to write that last sentence but far too often there seems to be a presumption of guilt

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They *did* just say no. The five person rotating commission who are totally immune to prosecution to police one trans child kicks in when just banning trans kids from playing sports gets knocked down in court.

Of *course* it's worse than just saying no. It's a threat

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They *did* just say no. The five person rotating commission who are totally immune to prosecution to police one trans child kicks in when just banning trans kids from playing sports gets knocked down in court.

Of *course* it's worse than just saying no. It's a threat
Where have trans kids been banned from sports anywhere or just one person saying trans kids should be banned from sports?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Where have trans kids been banned from sports anywhere or just one person saying trans kids should be banned from sports?
I'm sorry, I was imprecise: the singular trans girl this law was written about is not banned from playing sports, she is banned from playing girl's sports at school.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, currently in transit
Also, they've been stripped of winning by a governor. That's what this was all aboutFB_IMG_1648024405306.jpg

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So, currently in transit
Also, they've been stripped of winning by a governor. That's what this was all aboutView attachment 5799
I'm sorry, I was imprecise: the singular trans girl this law was written about is not banned from playing sports, she is banned from playing girl's sports at school.
Thus, my point, no trans people are banned from playing sports now nor any future potential bannings in the works.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Thus, my point, no trans people are banned from playing sports now nor any future potential bannings in the works.
Yet every 6 months morons get mad at Mack Beggs for following these stupid rules.

Fuck's sake, the Mormon Republican governor of Utah sees this shit for what it is, what's your fucking excuse?

EDIT: "It's not a gay marriage ban, a gay guy can marry a woman just like a straight man can"

Is that really the level of rhetoric you want to stoop to?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh goodie. We're not reading stuff again. The link is right there, man. You could just open it.

And to be clear on what you approve of, for the Florida one, its fine to ban a transgender person for winning but not caring if they compete or not

Here's one that is already in effect

New Idaho Laws Target Transgender Residents : NPR

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, I'm acting like this is a witch hunt and demanding evidence before you turn someone's life upside

Horrible of me, I know
The aren't turning anyone's life upsidedown. This is a process for requesting extraordinary access to girls' sports. It's voluntary.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The aren't turning anyone's life upsidedown. This is a process for requesting extraordinary access to girls' sports. It's voluntary.
The current process is not sufficient why, exactly? A trans girl might be able to play a sport?

Like, a Mormon conservative politician who endorsed the likes of Rubio, Cruz, and Trump can see this for what it is, who do *you* think you're fooling?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Well, at least that wouldn't involve genital inspection. It would still be horrible, it would still be senseless, it would still be abuse, but at least it would be just a bit less severe.

What's so extraordinary about a girl playing girls' sports?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yet every 6 months morons get mad at Mack Beggs for following these stupid rules.

Fuck's sake, the Mormon Republican governor of Utah sees this shit for what it is, what's your fucking excuse?

EDIT: "It's not a gay marriage ban, a gay guy can marry a woman just like a straight man can"

Is that really the level of rhetoric you want to stoop to?
Ok Strawman...

Oh goodie. We're not reading stuff again. The link is right there, man. You could just open it.

And to be clear on what you approve of, for the Florida one, its fine to ban a transgender person for winning but not caring if they compete or not

Here's one that is already in effect

New Idaho Laws Target Transgender Residents : NPR
Really?!?! What does changing a word on your birth certificate matter? Sex is the field on a birth certificate, not gender. The only reason I would ever want to change my birth certificate is if something on there was wrong to where it was messing up me getting a driver's license or passport or something. Even if my sex was wrong on it, I wouldn't give 2 shits about it.

People keep pushing this sports thing as hate against transgender people. It's not hate because if a trans woman was playing women's chess or a trans woman was in a women's video game clan in a women's tournament, literally no one would care. The issue is whether it's fair or not, which I very much doubt has been concluded.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Both side of this issue need it to be kept alive and "hot" because they use it for political gains.

The GOP will rail against this minor issue with only one person affected and despite the fact that, honestly, minor sports competition really don't matter that much.

The dem will rail against it despite the fact that the entire idea is that there's a biological sex and mental gender that can be different and sports category are obviously based on biological sex making this a non issue and, again, minor sports competition really don't matter that much.

The best thing to do is to ignore the issue as much as possible, the more attention is given to it, the more both side will try to keep it alive to the detriment of the people affected by it.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs