Utah creates 5 person commission to regulate one trans girl playing sports

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's worth nothing that less than half the women in Utah support that ban, and only ~37% strongly support it.

Gotta protect the women, especially against themselves

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Damn, another thing that wouldn't happen happening?

Girls already have a stigma against playing sports because they might look too manly, now if they do too good they'll get bullied over it. Congradufuckinglations TERFs, you're helping conservative enforce gender stereotypes

"Spatafore said the association has received other complaints, some that said “that female athlete doesn’t look feminine enough.”
Yeah, you really gotta watch out for those things that won't happen. Here in Kansas we had the vote on the state constitutional amendment that would specifically give the right to ban abortion (and specifically even in instances of rape, incest, or for health consequences) to our VERRY republican dominated state legislature. Who assured us repeatedly during the campaign that the so-called "value them both" amendment was not an abortion ban. Would not ban abortion. Would not target doctors or those who might assist a woman who wanted an abortion. Of course those things would NEVER happen. Even though ALEC has several abortion bans already written and just ready to be introduced the second it passed... it would NEVER happen. And thanks to those of us who knew better, it won't anytime soon.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Just in case you thought that Republicans gave a single solitary shit about federal overreach

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Why 26? Not that it would be ok if they picked any other age, but would have expected it to be 18 or 21 or something.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's also the bit where that's when the prefrontal cortex crystallizes and you get much more susceptible to outside norms

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Why 26? Not that it would be ok if they picked any other age, but would have expected it to be 18 or 21 or something.
They say brain development stops at 25 so maybe that's why?

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But isn't it amazing that so many people that want to control out lives are, themselves, outside that window? (insert Twilight Zone theme here)
Ahh, but they're on the other side of the window, and don't acknowledge that deterioration occurs.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Apparently it's 30 now (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47622059). Given that brain function then starts to decline from ~45 (https://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2012/01/05/cognitive-decline-can-begin-early-age-45-warn-experts) we have an extremely small window when we should be allowed to make our own decisions.
I would argue that the brain never stops developing. Although the development tends to be more than offset by degradation after a certain point.

I cannot help but feel that some of the scientific rationale here is poor. It's a little outside my best expertise, but the argument is that the brain undergoes a "rewiring" due to puberty that is complete ~25 (or as more recent papers suggest, 30). However, the brain does continue changing. If you work on a certain sort of activity, your brain can alter to increase the amount of activity in the required areas, and it can do this in your 40s, 50s. Bits used less may dwindle. What, exactly, is the justification for this completed "rewiring" separate from other development? I cannot help but wonder if it's kind of bullshit: interpretation overreach.

I also wonder what role experience-dependent learning may have on it. Maybe we take until average 25 to develop because our parents look after us so much, so we've yet to learn and form those connections that tell us "Stop taking sickies or you'll get fired".

What's also gibberish is an argument that "adulthood" means a sort of maximal growth, where things level off thereafter. But let's take muscle. At some point in your 40s after a life of idleness, you decide to become a bodybuilder. You will surely end up with larger muscles than you ever had before, so does that mean you became an adult at 44, because it was the point of maximal muscle development? Surely not. So why would we make that argument about a brain? There are arguments blah blah brain development impluse control blah, but then why can some 15 year olds be more "mature" (psychologically) than some 35-year-olds, despite having a less developed brain?

Problems, problems. I am very skeptical.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I would argue that the brain never stops developing. Although the development tends to be more than offset by degradation after a certain point.
Yeah, sounds right. If the brain didn't continuously develope we'd never be able to form new memories or learn new skills... so everyone would be stuck in an extreme form of dementia. Fucking terrifying.

What's also gibberish is an argument that "adulthood" means a sort of maximal growth, where things level off thereafter. But let's take muscle. At some point in your 40s after a life of idleness, you decide to become a bodybuilder. You will surely end up with larger muscles than you ever had before, so does that mean you became an adult at 44, because it was the point of maximal muscle development? Surely not. So why would we make that argument about a brain? There are arguments blah blah brain development impluse control blah, but then why can some 15 year olds be more "mature" (psychologically) than some 35-year-olds, despite having a less developed brain?
The term 'adulthood' is pretty nebulous and/or arbitrary once you get outside of legal definitions, especially if you start tossing in non-physical attributes.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Straight up Morality Police being set up in multiple states, including mine. Conservatives know they don't have (palatable) solutions to any *actual* problems, so culture warring they shall go

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Next they'll ban women wearing trousers.
Swooped

Came here to say this

Also, if a male is dressed up in 'female clothes' is so sexual, maybe consider that it's also super sexual for females to dress up in 'female clothes'