Utah Governor Vetoes Bill HB 353

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Now, with all thats been said and done concerning that bill, I wonder if enough of the senate would have been convinced not to veto the veto? They probably didn't give it much thought the first time around, so maybe they will now. I'd say its been made apparent to almost everyone but Jack Thompson that the bill isn't as good as it seemed to be, and that it'd more likely threaten to undo the ESRB's work. Jack Thompson is a lost cause anyway. If a video game were to part the sea and lead people to the pearly gates he'd still be declaring it the work of Satan.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
bodyklok said:
GyroCaptain said:
Ran him on Wikipedia: he's a former ambassador to Singapore under Bush I and was re-elected last November with 77.7% of the vote. In other words, what he says will probably be what goes. He speaks Chinese and has a big family with several adoptees. He's a fan of Dream Theater (proclaiming a Dream Theater day) and has played keyboards on stage with REO Speedwagon. Opposes partial-birth abortion, supports gun ownership, civil unions, and insurance/healthcare cost controls. In other words, I would vote for this guy faster than you can imagine for president and he's already under consideration by some.

I could see the Republican party getting straightened out, even.
Wow this guy sounds awesome!
Hey this is hell calling... Umm... we need some more fire...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.
I know. Democracy...actually...working?!

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I feel really happy now. I don't know why, I'm Australian for Christ's sake, but I still want to vote for and high five that guy. I can't wait to see the reaction of the people who really wanted this, I really hope someone brings a camera.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Labyrinth said:
Lucky Utahians. If only the Australian government has as much insight.
Or the British PM.
Don't worry, we'll be getting a new one soon. At most, he can stay in for 1 more year before he had to call a vote, although its standard to call one sometime in the summer this year.

thejoshualee

Mar 12, 2009
This makes me happy. Not just because of the win for the video game community, but because I'm a Utahan and voted for Huntsman.

Oh, he's also a relative of mine :).

John Huntsman is one of the most reasonable people I've ever met and hope he runs for the Big Seat.

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I was actually shocked to find out that he actually vetoed it! He has always come off as one of those mindless "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" people. I stand corrected. He appears to be one of those semi-intelligent "Think of the children, but let's try not be overly protective to the point that we further damage the state's economy and reputation" people.

In all likelihood, the veto is going to be overridden, but I'll remember that our governor was the one person capable of making an educated, unbiased decision for the good of the people.

Actually... Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't he the one who is working on getting rid of our idiotic law that requires everyone to go through the motions of joining a "club for private members" order to drink here? *googles* Yes... Yes he is. No, you can't have him for president. WE NEED HIM HERE IN UTAH!

thejoshualee

Mar 12, 2009
Adfest said:
I was actually shocked to find out that he actually vetoed it! He has always come off as one of those mindless "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" people. I stand corrected. He appears to be one of those semi-intelligent "Think of the children, but let's try not be overly protective to the point that we further damage the state's economy and reputation" people.

In all likelihood, the veto is going to be overridden, but I'll remember that our governor was the one person capable of making an educated, unbiased decision for the good of the people.

Actually... Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't he the one who is working on getting rid of our idiotic law that requires everyone to go through the motions of joining a "club for private members" order to drink here? *googles* Yes... Yes he is. No, you can't have him for president. WE NEED HIM HERE IN UTAH!
He is a great gov, eh?

As far as news goes, there is no plan to go for an override, though they do plan on re-tooling the bill for next session.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.
Exactly. Maybe it's not so bad that this guy has Presidential ambitions...