Valkyrie Elysium Impressions - Angel May Cry

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
? Must be a lot shorter than the others in the series then. Or you marathoned that shit since day one.
It took about 20 hours. It's not a long game at all actually. 9 main missions 20 side missions. None of which are all that long. I think the longest mission was 15-20 minutes give or take. And i played on Hard mode too which really wasn't that hard and yeah...that's like....it really.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It took about 20 hours. It's not a long game at all actually. 9 main missions 20 side missions. None of which are all that long. I think the longest mission was 15-20 minutes give or take. And i played on Hard mode too which really wasn't that hard and yeah...that's like....it really.
The games are usually known for being hard and tough. I used to have the PSP version of the original. I guess they were expecting a new audience so they made things easier. I get that, but hard mode should be hard.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The games are usually known for being hard and tough. I used to have the PSP version of the original. I guess they were expecting a new audience so they made things easier. I get that, but hard mode should be hard.
But weren't the old games turn based jrpgs? This is a whole different thing from that.

It was still "hard", I died a lot especially towards the end, but I'm a video game god who has platinumed both Bloodborne AND Elden Ring plus both Nioh games, so this game just wasn't hard for me.

It certainly isn't on the difficulty level of DMC or anything like that.

The problem with Elysium is that once you figure out how to deal with the enemies, then it's basically over at that point. Lock onto their weakness, use your summons and proper elemental spells, then you basically win.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But weren't the old games turn based jrpgs? This is a whole different thing from that.
Yes, but they were even more difficult than your standard RPG for the time frame. Even hardcore RPG fans found it a bit too difficult or way overboard at times. I vaguely barely remember beating the PSP version, then traded it in at some point cuz I didn't feel like doing a new game plus.

was still "hard", I died a lot especially towards the end, but I'm a video game god who has platinumed both Bloodborne AND Elden Ring plus both Nioh games, so this game just wasn't hard for me.

It certainly isn't on the difficulty level of DMC or anything like that.

The problem with Elysium is that once you figure out how to deal with the enemies, then it's basically over at that point. Lock onto their weakness, use your summons and proper elemental spells, then you basically win.
He should have said the other stuff sooner. I get what you're trying to tell though. Even then, if this game is still easier on its hard mode compared to the reboot version of DmC (2013) and Killer Is Dead, then that tells me that this game is still easier than the games from the 2013 releases. That is not always an inherent law, but once you find a pattern and exploit, there's not much else to the combat. Shoot, even Nier Automata knew how to throw a curveball at you once in awhile.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, but they were even more difficult than your standard RPG for the time frame. Even hardcore RPG fans founded a bit too difficult or way overboard at times. I vaguely barely remember beating the PSP version, then traded it in at some point cuz I didn't feel like doing a new game plus.
Ironically, easy mode is actually the hardest in Lenneth, and hard mode the easiest because you can get way better items on hard mode, allowing you to make busted builds quicker. Still requires you to actually know what you're doing tho. Likewise in Silmeria, the sequel. They're the type of game that requires use of all its mechanics, and punish mistakes harshly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ironically, easy mode is actually the hardest in Lenneth, and hard mode the easiest because you can get way better items on hard mode, allowing you to make busted builds quicker. Still requires you to actually know what you're doing tho. Likewise in Silmeria, the sequel. They're the type of game that requires use of all its mechanics, and punish mistakes harshly.
I found out in Kbash's recent Valkyrie retrospective video.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Played the demo but and was not impressed but not turned off. My friend was like the combat was like FFXV but improved. I played it and he was not wrong because it was FFXV combat improved by being Bayonetta combat but downgraded.

Now from the demo I did not hate it but between that and the new Star Ocean on top of Tales of Arise having my action rpg attention right now both titles are definetly and wait for a good discount and pick up later for me.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Played the demo but and was not impressed but not turned off. My friend was like the combat was like FFXV but improved. I played it and he was not wrong because it was FFXV combat improved by being Bayonetta combat but downgraded.

Now from the demo I did not hate it but between that and the new Star Ocean on top of Tales of Arise having my action rpg attention right now both titles are definetly and wait for a good discount and pick up later for me.
That's probably fair. It's not a long game and despite there being 6 different weapons to learn and master you can 100% the game in about 20 hours and much less if you just go with the main story.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's probably fair. It's not a long game and despite there being 6 different weapons to learn and master you can 100% the game in about 20 hours and much less if you just go with the main story.
Pretty sure this would take me at least 40-50 hours :)

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I've only played VP2 back in the day and I'd hesitate to call it a 'turn based RPG'. It's more like a weird semi real time affair where time only passes as you take actions. A bit like how Valkyria Chronicles does it actually. When you attack it's a crazy combo juggle system like in Endless Frontier. VP1 probably isn't quite as complex.

Since the trailers Elysium just looks so tepid, from the gameplay to the graphics that I have a hard time getting interested at all. Even though I really liked VP2. My PS2 actually kicked the bucket halfway through my playthrough and if the game was any less good, I might have just bid my PS2 goodbye there and then but nope, I wasn't having it and I sent it to the repair shop and got it fixed.

Maybe one sweet ass day when it's 75% off or shows up on Gamepass I might give it a gander.

I think among the new whacky Square things that they've been pushing out lately, it's probably Harvestella and Triangle Strategy that I will bother checking out. I really wanted DioField Chronicle to be good, bit the reception for it seems rather lackluster...