Valve Announces Steam Machine Prototype Specs

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Huh so anything from generic midrange pc to titan beast. Kinda pointless specs as its literally any non amd system you would build today. outside the psu and maybe 8gb too much ram.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I think people are forgetting something. Valve won't be selling these machines. These specs are only for the 300 limited production testing machines that will go out to those 300 lucky for testing. Whether the actual units produced for sale by 3rd party manufacturers will have these specs is purely up to speculation at this point.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Psychobabble said:
Sight Unseen said:
Psychobabble said:
fix-the-spade said:
CriticalMiss said:
but it's still going to be a big cost for a single component that is (if I've heard correctly about the Titan) pointlessly overpowered.
It's pointlessly overpowered for right now. What about in two years time when the next Battlefield/Crysis/MMO/Total War comes out and starts burning out all the two year old mid range cards and forcing downsizing on the other console brands? Or four or five years time when 4k TV screens are cheaper (Titans are really for single GPU multi screen and 4k setups, for 1080p they are massive overkill)?

It makes a degree of sense to me to fir the fastest hardware available now. The relative price is dropping all the time, the development cost to Valve is nil, if they order a million of them you can bet Nvidia would drop a further $200 off the trade price. Plus it gives them a legitimate claim to making the most powerful console in the world, probably more or at least close to whatever Sony and Microsoft would be thinking about for next gen.

It is very expensive though.
What would make a hell of a lot more sense though would just be to build the damn box where you could upgrade components instead of having to pay insanely high prices for cutting edge tech you don't currently need.
Steam Machines are confirmed to be fully upgradeable and customiseable and you can even build your own If you don't like the specs on this one, buy a cheaper one and put your own hardware in it if you have the know-how. Problem solved.
I had read they could be monkeyed with but didn't know the extent. That's great as I already build my own gaming machines, so don't really need to buy one of theirs. I'm hoping the Steam Os is a fully functional gaming replacement for Windows. As that would kick serious ass.
I'd really recommend you read the full announcement for Steam Machines that Valve posted last week. You can find it here: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

To be helpful though here's a few quotes from Q&A section of the page:

Q:Will I be able to build my own box to run SteamOS?
A:Yes.

Q:Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
A:Sure.

Q:Can I download the OS to try it out?
A:You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Okay, I expected it to be good, but damn. TITAN? 780s? 16 Gigs of ram, all that CPU power.. What a behemoth. Certainly outdoes my rig. Wonder how much it'll cost..

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Are they seriously going for the Titan... It's an overpriced junk of garbage.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Charcharo said:
Why a freaking Titan?!?? That thing is useless, unless you are going for a triple monitor setup or 4K res, and even then its still debatable whether its worth it. And the power supply does look kinda weak.
And no GAMING PC needs 16 Gigs of Ram. 8 Gigs? 12 Gigs? Maybe, and the second is already pushing it. 16 is just not necessary.
Future-proofing: It is a thing.

Also, if you run recording software (say, FRAPS, like I do), then all of a sudden, you can't have enough RAM.

Why buy minimal specs if that means that you'll have to upgrade next time you get hyped about anything?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Me55enger said:
Geforce.com- a site I got to via the official Nvidia site when searching for product information- advises that a 600w minimum PSU is to be used with the Titan.

Link can be unceremoniously found after this colon: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan/specifications
according to...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-23.html
...the power consumption of a GTX Titan peaks at about 266W, so if you set aside 300W for it, you're completely safe from a brownout. So long as the rest of the system doesn't peak at over 150W, a 450W PSU is more than enough.

So many people buy more power supply than they need... especially people who aren't running an optical drive...

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
3GB DDR5 (GPU)

That should read 3GB GDDR5 (GPU).
There is no such thing as DDR5 RAM. GDDR5 is a high bandwidth, higher latency version of DDR3.
DDR4 hasn't even been released yet.

Some of those specs are a bit crazy but it is clear that they are trying out a large number of configurations just to get an idea of the sweet spot. Most games will run perfectly on an i5/GTX660 system. My PC runs everything with a late model Core 2 Quad and GTX 760 with no issues.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
Urg...

I worry Valve is going to overshoot on the price. That's incredibly important nowadays, and even just 100$ more can hit you pretty hard on the sales side.

On the plus, this is really powerful I guess.
Erm, they arent going to overshoot anything. This boxes are just for testing and will not be comercialized. There will be no steamboxes made by valve other than 300 test ones, and those will be given away.

unstabLized said:
Okay, I expected it to be good, but damn. TITAN? 780s? 16 Gigs of ram, all that CPU power.. What a behemoth. Certainly outdoes my rig. Wonder how much it'll cost..
It costs 0$

CriticalMiss said:
So folks who know about PC bits, does this tell us anything about pricing other than there will be one ridiculously expensive box?
Read above. This steamboxes will not be available for purchase.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Every youtuber I've heard talk about this all agree that they have no reason to have this box. They'd rather play PC games in a chair on their computer as it's more ergonomical and comfortable, and they can just plug a gamepad in if they so desire. If any of them actually wanted to play PC games on their TV then they'd already hooked up their PC to their TV and done it all the time.

I just don't see the market for this, I really don't. I imagine nvidia may give Valve lower prices for the boxes seeing as AMD got all the good contracts, but nvidia already love to overcharge in my country so I just don't see that happening. Considering how much valve LOVE geopricing I seriously doubt they won't make us charge more either and they are very anal about IP checking on their steam service.

At least the PS4 only costs $550 but is trivial to get shipped for $400.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Why buy minimal specs if that means that you'll have to upgrade next time you get hyped about anything?
Because a. by the time something with the titan's power is actually needed I will be able to get it for far less than a thousand dollars and B. my HD7950 already does just fine on everything I throw at it and that only cost around three hundred. In other words. yes Future-proofing is a thing, but these specs are overkill even for that.

OT: these Steam announcements seem so pointless to me. its like "wow steam has its own OS!! [sub]but its actually just Linux[/sub] and its own console!! [sub]but its actually just a prebuilt PC[/sub]" I already have access to linuix, and I could already buy a prebuilt PC if I suddenly decide I hate myself, so why exactly are those things suddenly special when you stick a valve logo on them?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remember that these are just the specs for the beta beds that are being sent out next year. There will be other units, specced for people with lower-end needs, and presumably a wide range of options from different manufacturers at all ranges. The truth is that we still know very little about how this is going to work - Maybe Valve is trying to cook up a boutique PC business, kind of like early-days Alienware but with third-party manufacturing partners, or maybe the whole thing is just a branding exercise to try to broaden Steam's footprint.

In the post, Valve basically admitted that these are just high-end PCs in a custom case that you could put together yourself - and they're even going to release the source CAD files for their enclosure, so people who want to home-build the whole thing can do so. But ultimately... it's just a PC.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
major_chaos said:
lacktheknack said:
Because a. by the time something with the titan's power is actually needed I will be able to get it for far less than a thousand dollars and B. my HD7950 already does just fine on everything I throw at it and that only cost around three hundred. In other words. yes Future-proofing is a thing, but these specs are overkill even for that.

Fair.

Although sometimes, buying in bulk/on sale can alleviate the cost a good amount. I bought a 1000W power supply three years ago for $450, and I regret nothing. I shall continue to regret nothing for at least six more years, at the current rate. Seeing how my friend has already gone through two power supplies in the last two years at $200 each, I think I'm going to come out on top in the end.

OT: these Steam announcements seem so pointless to me. its like "wow steam has its own OS!! [sub]but its actually just Linux[/sub] and its own console!! [sub]but its actually just a prebuilt PC[/sub]" I already have access to linuix, and I could already buy a prebuilt PC if I suddenly decide I hate myself, so why exactly are those things suddenly special when you stick a valve logo on them?
The "pre-built PC" is attractive to console users who want to try PC gaming/Steam but don't want to learn how to build one.

Also, every time you say "It's just Linux, so the announcement is nothing special", God kills a kitten. It's the most exciting part of all this: Valve has thrown its weight behind Linux as a gaming platform, so it's going to move that direction now. There's literally no downside to this on our end, and a whole freaking lot of upside.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I love how a lot of people are missing the paragraph directly after the specs.

"To be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package," the post says. "Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions."

So, what we can learn from this (if we remember Valves initial announcements) Is that A) People can build their own Steam Machines, and B) There figure to be many Steam Machines that you can purchase directly from Valve, with various specs that can fall within someone's price line better. So, what the beta testers are getting are probably the more expensive version of the Steam Machine.

But, man, if the beta testers get to keep them, they are going to be extremely lucky (also, if any of that last sentence s either badly misspelled or has some serious gramatical issues, its because I'm typing this blind because of a fucking pop-up add is currently blocking this portion of the reply box, and everytime I hit the close button, another popup shows up. I mean, sure I could just quickly edit it after I submit, but I shouldn't have to do that. I also don't care if pointing out broken ads is against escapists Forum Rules, because this is ridiculous.)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
lacktheknack said:
[
Although sometimes, buying in bulk/on sale can alleviate the cost a good amount. I bought a 1000W power supply three years ago for $450, and I regret nothing. I shall continue to regret nothing for at least six more years, at the current rate. Seeing how my friend has already gone through two power supplies in the last two years at $200 each, I think I'm going to come out on top in the end.
Also fair.
You can certainly put me down as a fan of using sales to future proof for less, seeing as every part of my current PC was bought when it was on sale. Although I doubt these steam boxes are going to have any steep discounts. Also what is your friend doing to those poor power supplies? I have been PC gaming for years and I never had a power supply die, even when it was cheapo crap.

The "pre-built PC" is attractive to console users who want to try PC gaming/Steam but don't want to learn how to build one.
That doesn't seem like a market that is willing to spend $2000 on a gaming machine. And again, Pre-built PCs already exist, what makes the steam box special? And I'm not even to go into how silly it is to not build your if you want to game on PC.

Also, every time you say "It's just Linux, so the announcement is nothing special", God kills a kitten.
Well I just got done cleaning up cat shit so I'm im angry sooooo... It's just Linux It's just Linux It's just Linux It's just Linux ect.

There's literally no downside to this on our end, and a whole freaking lot of upside.
Unless you are someone like me who literally does not understand the point of Linux and has never heard anyone justify it with reasons other than "M$ rapes fish! Death to Windows! Death to Bill Gate$!" or "but.. but... open source" neither of which actually make a good case.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well you better be putting together some prices, because those titans are a grand all by their lonesome and people will not be lured in by such pricing.

Also a curious lack of AMD options, don't want to point fingers too soon but this could lead to some awful porting practices down the line.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
major_chaos said:
Also what is your friend doing to those poor power supplies? I have been PC gaming for years and I never had a power supply die, even when it was cheapo crap.

Presumably, he sacrifices a virgin power supply as required to update his ATI card. :p

That doesn't seem like a market that is willing to spend $2000 on a gaming machine. And again, Pre-built PCs already exist, what makes the steam box special? And I'm not even to go into how silly it is to not build your if you want to game on PC.

I know it's silly. Around the time I met someone who said "I want to play games on the computer, but I don't want to update my drivers constantly", I knew it was a losing battle.

Also, only a very select few Steam Machines cost that much. Many will be down in the low-mid-hundreds, be as small as possible, specialize in quietness, etc. Re-read the OP. It's all about buying what you want if you are stubborn and refuse to build.

Also, every time you say "It's just Linux, so the announcement is nothing special", God kills a kitten.
Well I just got done cleaning up cat shit so I'm im angry sooooo... It's just Linux It's just Linux It's just Linux It's just Linux ect.

;___________________;

There's literally no downside to this on our end, and a whole freaking lot of upside.
Unless you are someone like me who literally does not understand the point of Linux and has never heard anyone justify it with reasons other than "M$ rapes fish! Death to Windows! Death to Bill Gate$!" or "but.. but... open source" neither of which actually make a good case.
How about "Windows 8, with its constant transition to touchscreen interfaces, an app store and subscribed software stacked on bloatware, makes me a sad panda"?

It's not a question of what Linux has, it's a question of what Linux DOESN'T have.

But if you want features, its programmer-friendly interface, excessive customizability and established modder-base means that we're tapping into a veritable goldmine of free software, free major modifications and the like.

Plus, if Linux develops a sizeable userbase (say, if a large gaming company up and moved the majority of its business over there, or something like that), companies will decide it's worth it to port their software to Linux, which makes the "But nothing's compatible" complaint self-fixing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Charcharo said:
lacktheknack said:
Charcharo said:
Why a freaking Titan?!?? That thing is useless, unless you are going for a triple monitor setup or 4K res, and even then its still debatable whether its worth it. And the power supply does look kinda weak.
And no GAMING PC needs 16 Gigs of Ram. 8 Gigs? 12 Gigs? Maybe, and the second is already pushing it. 16 is just not necessary.
Future-proofing: It is a thing.

Also, if you run recording software (say, FRAPS, like I do), then all of a sudden, you can't have enough RAM.

Never future proof that much. Most games dont even use up 8 Gigs of RAM. 12 IS OVERKILL. Besides... by this time next year we will probably have DDR4 Ram... why not wait for it? Same with Titan, why not wait for Maxwell/ AMD thingy and get an even more powerful GPU in the future that will use GDDR 6 (again next year).

Besides, I remember buying my i5 750 (admittedly a powerful CPU for the time) with 4GB of ram and an ATI HD 5770. It still runs games well, on DX11 med-high settings (my res is 1650x1080 though) and without problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSsbpRr_Qog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fin3YRp_5u4#t=616
I suffer framerate issues recording on 6GB on more recent games.

Add in my graphics-whore qualities (ultra everything or die) and my annoyance at games running under 50FPS, and I apparently need better specs than you run. It gets worse when I mod things.

As I said in another post, I bought a 1000W power supply three years ago, I'm going to keep it for another five at least. That was a good investment. My friend keeps chewing through his cheap ones, and he's going to spend more than me in the long run.