Valve Details Steam Features for Portal 2 on PS3

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Sony just realised how stupid Microsoft was for hitching up its daddy pants and trying to put limits on what Valve could do with the 360. Microsoft threw Steam out on its ass, and Sony welcomed it in with a warm blanket, a cup of cocoa, and the freedom to implement Steam on the PS3 however it wanted.
Microsoft made the same exact mistake with Steam as Nintendo did with Sony (which led to the Playstation). This is awesome. I love my PS3, I love Steam, and now they are one.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Irridium said:
batti said:
I mean that, using the code from the PS3 version, and registering that to my steam account, so that i can co-op w/ someone playing that PS3
Oh. Yes you'll be able to do that. PS3/PC users can co-op together.

theriddlen said:
What would be the use for split-screen on PC? It's not like you can plug in two keyboards and mice.
You could plug in a controller and use that. But it probably wouldn't look too good on smaller monitors.
It would be quite difficult to play a game that requires quick reflexes and precision with only half the view, even on my 22 inch screen. I remember playing Collin Mcrae's racing games on split-screen about a decade ago, but i'd prefer to keep it as my memory.

Also, looking forward to see how PS3 players will perform online. And that i will be able to push you into fire pit like it was shown in the "Bots" promo. :)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Kinda sucks that Valve doesn't let you cancel preorders. If they had confirmed buying a PS3 version would net you the Steam version, too, I'd have done that instead.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Jonci said:
Kinda sucks that Valve doesn't let you cancel preorders. If they had confirmed buying a PS3 version would net you the Steam version, too, I'd have done that instead.
They did. Back when they announced the PS3 version. At last year's E3. It's only now that they gave details on how it's going to work (e.g. you need a PS3 to activate the PC version).

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Well, I guess Sony proved Gabe wrong.

It's pretty impressive (assuming it all works) that Sony are willing to work with Valve to that level. I can't see Microsoft allowing cross platform content anytime soon.
Exactly. Also I must say I'm excited for the game! But its cool that Valve and Sony are starting to hammer out some agreement considering the lack of Valve on the PS3 in the past. Hopefully this will continue...

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
batti said:
Irridium said:
batti said:
2theAJ said:
Windows live is massive failure to my eyes. Windows live is not supported in my country so games that use it will be pirated. I got a great games library on my Steam though.

batti said:
wait, can you buy the PC version, or does it only work with PS3 discs?
No
aw man,
but can you do co-op w/the same disc on console and PC?
Do you mean split-screen? Because if so the PS3 version will most likely have it. But the PC version won't.

Also, the PS3 and PC versions use 2 separate formats of disks, so you can't use one with the other.
I mean that, using the code from the PS3 version, and registering that to my steam account, so that i can co-op w/ someone playing that PS3
Yes, if your Portal 2 on your PS3 and have registered your steam account then you will be able to play Co-op alongside a PC user. Later on when PC users create mods of their own levels after the eventual SDK release, PS3 will be able to play those levels as well.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Jonci said:
They did confirm it ages ago.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Well, I guess Sony proved Gabe wrong.

It's pretty impressive (assuming it all works) that Sony are willing to work with Valve to that level. I can't see Microsoft allowing cross platform content anytime soon.
It may be because Gabe called them out on it that they're going to these sort of lengths for cross-compatibility. None the less, it's pretty cool of both companies to do (though if we buy a PC copy, we should damn well be able to play it on the PS3 - it should work both ways!)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
batti said:
The PC version comes as a downloadable coupon in the box. Its like the DLC codes they put on pieces of paper in the Borderlands GOTY edition.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
BanthaFodder said:
Sony just realised how stupid Microsoft was for hitching up its daddy pants and trying to put limits on what Valve could do with the 360. Microsoft threw Steam out on its ass, and Sony welcomed it in with a warm blanket, a cup of cocoa, and the freedom to implement Steam on the PS3 however it wanted.
Microsoft made the same exact mistake with Steam as Nintendo did with Sony (which led to the Playstation). This is awesome. I love my PS3, I love Steam, and now they are one.
Nice! Can you guess who in this picture represents which company? Sony, MS, Valve.

Gee...someone's looking kinda lonely and left out.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
I have a PS3. I love Valve. I have about 70 games on Steam. It's a good day to be a gamer. Hoping I'll be able to play my Steam games on PS3 and vice versa some day.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Anyone else getting the feeling that Valve are attempting to atone for a certain someone's little outburst over the PS3 at an earlier point?

Equalox

Sep 1, 2009
Thank You Valve/Sony ^-^
you have made my day, you guys and your awesome shenanigans
xp

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
ronald1840 said:
batti said:
Irridium said:
batti said:
2theAJ said:
Windows live is massive failure to my eyes. Windows live is not supported in my country so games that use it will be pirated. I got a great games library on my Steam though.

batti said:
No
aw man,
but can you do co-op w/the same disc on console and PC?
Do you mean split-screen? Because if so the PS3 version will most likely have it. But the PC version won't.

Also, the PS3 and PC versions use 2 separate formats of disks, so you can't use one with the other.
Yes, if your Portal 2 on your PS3 and have registered your steam account then you will be able to play Co-op alongside a PC user. Later on when PC users create mods of their own levels after the eventual SDK release, PS3 will be able to play those levels as well.
A PC user on my account though? I understand that PC users can play with PS3 user, but can they play together if they are both logged onto the same account. Can I have a friend in the same room playing on my PC on my Steam account while I'm playing on my PS3 also logged onto my Steam account?

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Great news for PS3 owners! Next step: PS3 games from Valve will now require online activation!

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to Valve's plans to get thier hooks into Xbox Live, MS can't possibly tell them to F off hard enough.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
> Valve is giving away a free game with the purchase of your competitor's version.

Your move, Microsoft.