Valve Discusses Charging Customers Based on Popularity

PiOfCube

Jan 26, 2011
Just another thought:

Let's suppose that every single player on Steam games suddenly becomes "Mr Nice Guy"...

Steam goes out of business because it no longer makes money?

I can hear it now... "Hey! I'm an arse so you don't have to pay for this game... Gimme some slack 'cos I'm doing you a favour."

If "good guys" get the games for free or at below cost value, Steam will only be making a profit from those it deems to be unworthy. If you go along with that idea then it's not such a big leap to consider this.

If Steam's profits drop because of good players then they will have to move the bar on what it considers to be "good". So in future it will become more and more difficult to be put in the "good guy" class. How would you feel if you're an average player with an average ranking suddenly to learn that because there's too many "great players" that you now have to be considered less than clean?

Another thing to be considered is new players who aren't good at a game. These "elite" players from atop their high and mighty positions could/probably would mark down these people because they are obviously "noobs" and should be kept in their places. Now, it's an easy jump to think that Steam would give more credence to reports from players with a high rating. This makes me think of a saying which I can't remember who said it but it goes like "Just because it's popular doesn't make it right."

I really can see this getting way out of hand and mostly because of clannish behaviour by certain groups of players. If you join a server which has a large percentage of players who regularly play together, virtually anything you do will be considered "bad form" simply because you can not fit in with the teams tactics. Or perhaps the lobby throws you into a random server which has a majority of players who speak a certain language... I've been there myself when I've been kicked simply because I didn't speak the language spoken by the rest of the players. I didn't ask to go to the specific server in most cases and when I did it was a public server without any set rules regarding language. Under Steams rules, all those finding themselves in that situation would be penalised simply because the game put them in a server which was filled with closed-minded people (who would probably be highly ranked because their mates would constantly rate them high).

Another problem could become prevalent is when abuse reports are filled by both parties in a dispute. If a new or average player has a spat with a highly ranked player and both file complaints stating the "he started it and I never said a word", I can see that it would be very easy to take the report by the higher ranked player as true and penalise the other summarily.

And finally, I can see local trading standards or their equivalent having a dickie-fit. Any shop keepers/workers in these forums? Yes? well... try this...

For just one day, ask each customer to pay a different price for their purchases and say either "Oh, I'm sorry but there's a lot of people who don't like you... You must pay an extra 25 percent for your groceries." and then, when that customer is still in your shop say to the next customer. "Oh, hello... Yes, you are well liked in this neighbourhood, you can have your shopping for free... In fact, here's a tenner for your troubles!"

You might need to keep the police on speed-dial for when the riots begin.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
This is an interesting idea. While it probably wouldn't work in all situations, it might work for DLC. Rewarding those players who play fairly with a couple of extra maps/hats/cake etc might just reduce the amount of dicks on the interwebs a bit.

Coz everyone loves free stuff. =3

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I don't think there will be higher prices for "bad players", i doubt that's even legal. They'll just have to pay the standart price.

On the other hand, rewarding active community members (like with the Polycount Pack) - that's pretty damn awesome, and i'm fully behind it.

Partezan

Apr 15, 2009
I hope people do the right thing and instead of becoming little bitches to a company trying to control their behavior, tell the to nicely fuck off

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Hey. I have a better idea.

Make a mute button that we can get to in under 2 seconds.

what stops the trolls from reporting you and fucking you over?
Why is everyone so sensitive over video games?
Isn't it just easier to put in a mute button?
Wouldn't it be easier to take off auto talk and just leave "push to talk" so people cant spam their mic's?
Why is the sky blue?
Why is the grass green?
Who was "Rosebud"?

Any you know what gabe? I own the Orange box, I play all the games on it. I enjoy them greatly but in my opinion you need to stop smoking the wacky tabacci

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
VAC (VALVe Anti-Customer)?

I have always held steam in high regards, but if the program ever starts to feel more like a chain than a service, I will instantly revert back to using retailers. That and I might aswell pick up piracy (only VALVe games) if they ever did flag me as a "bad" customer.

Most publishers/developers already presume that every single customer is a potential pirate.
Don't fight the system I say. Once a criminal, always a criminal. So get out there and pirate those games.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Thoric485 said:
I don't think there will be higher prices for "bad players", i doubt that's even legal. They'll just have to pay the standard price.
I also have issues with its legality. Just because someone is a ***** doesn't mean you can treat them differently in these scenarios.

even though they deserve it.

besides this sounds WAY to easy to abuse.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I find this flawed unless it's clearly moderated by certain professional people. This sounds a bit like a popularity contest and while I'm certainly not a troll, people wouldn't go out of their way to say I'm a popular person.

Also, take WoW. A lot of people get annoyed with people who are just asking for help. Sure, they can look it up, but what if say it's someone like my mother who wanted to give it a go and didn't know places like wowhead could exist? People would be saying she's annoying or pulling her down because she doesn't know any better...does this mean she has to pay more because the majority are against her?

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
"The industry has this broken model, which is one price for everyone"

hey now, thats not true!

they have one price for everyone else, and then another price for Australians! THATS LIKE TWICE AS MUCH!!!

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
Terminalchaos said:
I wonder if it will be open to discrimination lawsuits.

Monetarily rewarding popularity is not an idea I can get behind.

Rewarding those who take effort to improve a game is a great idea. Penalizing the unpopular (even trolls) just seems awful.
Well said. That's pretty much my point. Gamers are notoriously short tempered, vindictive and VERY sore losers. The problem is that people aren't equal, there are good players and bad players (skill wise). Most games make no effort in grouping you with similarly skilled people (and those that do usually suck at it)... So there will be uneven teams and games where one person can destroy a whole team because they are just.. well.. good... doesn't mean they're a bad person, or mean, or anything... but I would garantee that the losers will do whatever they can to try to punnish the good player.. If theres a "report cheating" button they will press it, even with little-to-no proof of such, just because they feel it's impossible for them to lose so badly. it has happened to me multiple times, and giving them the option to make you pay more money to play would be something they would do, as often as they could.

The system that would work out much better would be a reward system based on community involvement... If you were to get bonuses for helping people, or allow users to "thank" another user, giving them points toward something it would work much better...

Like the latest Extra Credits video stated... Rewarding is much more beneficial than penalizing... if you give someone the option to reward a player it will have a similar effect, but without the ability to make things worse it would remove the "for revenge" option.

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
Mad1Cow said:
I find this flawed unless it's clearly moderated by certain professional people. This sounds a bit like a popularity contest and while I'm certainly not a troll, people wouldn't go out of their way to say I'm a popular person.

Also, take WoW. A lot of people get annoyed with people who are just asking for help. Sure, they can look it up, but what if say it's someone like my mother who wanted to give it a go and didn't know places like wowhead could exist? People would be saying she's annoying or pulling her down because she doesn't know any better...does this mean she has to pay more because the majority are against her?
I agree, while the idea of popularity WOULD hurt the bad players, it's going to hurt players who just aren't popular as well...

There should be no punnishment at all, the system would work, except that instead of punnishing the bad people, you can paise the good people... that way your not screwing over the people who just want to play the game and aren't interested in helping out every noob that comes their way, but for those who want to take the time to help people out, they can be rewarded for their efforts.. but again, this isn't going to solve the whole concept on crap players who just cause problems... a system of this style would be almost impossible to implement, but i do think they key to making a fair system would be to reward and not punnish.

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
hmm, even concept on helping yourself as much as everyone else.. take a match based multiplayer game.. what if at the end of each match, you have the option to say the game was a "good game" this would award all players of the match points for a great game.. it would benefit everyone, even the voter.. those who would abuse the system would simply be voting the match great every game.. it wouldn't be as significant a detriment as being able to focus on one person and call them a cheater or a jerk....

Mecandes

Nov 15, 2010
It would be interesting to see how this idea would stand up in court, because you know that's where it'll land.

Sometimes things can be beyond the player's control: for example, on Xbox Live, I received several "Quit Early" negative player reviews in the first day or so of playing Halo 3 -- I wasn't quitting early, it was just that the network was having trouble under the intense load and the connection was getting dropped. Others assumed that I had quit, and they gave me bad reviews for it. If this had happened under Valve's brilliant plan, I'd also be paying more for games due to something beyond my control. Nice.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Right...as if Dota2 will ever have a good community. A game`s price tag shouldn`t be a popularity contest and motivating people with money to be nice is low.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
I would really like to sse that in effect in Xbox Live. It's really annoying to receive a grenade or a shot from a teammate just because you got the vehicle or weapon they wanted. YOu may not get killed and so can´t bane the SoBs, but you get weak enough to be killed in a second by an enemy player. I support Valve's suggestion and would like it to be a staple for the industry.