Valve Doesn't Hate Origin

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
matrix3509 said:
The fact of the matter is I'm sick and tired of having to sign up a separate account for every goddamn publisher I buy a game for. I'm already signed up to more shit than I can remember, which is a huge security risk for me.

Besides, if EA wants me to buy games through Origin they might actually try to offer me an incentive to do so. Rather than holding some exclusive titles over my head like a fucking 3rd grade bully, how about, you know, actually maybe offering some discounts?
They do do discounts, if you wanted to pre-order The Old republic, it costs $10 more!
...there's something wrong with that statement.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
At the moment he doesn't really have any reason to hate it anyway. Origin is causing my cpu usage to go up to 99% in certain intervals which causes lag spikes when I'm trying to play bf3. If they won't make it better then there's absolutely no reason for me to change from Steam, which runs really stable.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Origin has over 4 million users because everyone who had an EA account was automatically converted into an Origin user, even if they never used it.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
heh Gabe basically says 'Origin shows us what not to do and perhaps some of what we can get away with'.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
thespyisdead said:
get a fucking console!!! no DRM or Origin there!
Also no mods... Or 64 man BF3 matches... And why buy a console for an extra $300+ when my PC ($500) does everything your console does AND MORE? Gotta be able to do Microsoft Office and the like, as a student, so having a console just takes up more space and money in my already cramped and underfunded dorm room. Just saying. PCs, in my opinion, are more versatile and cost/space effective. I think i speak for a lot of PC gamers when i say that.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Euf, I have Origin because I needed to update old EA games. Not even worth having it on my computer, it's a clunky piece of shit.

Echo Delta

May 17, 2011
That's ok, valve doesn't need to hate Origin, I already do! Steam has some pretty boarish DRM but origin is far worse. I'm not touching origin with a 10 foot pole and until EA changes this, they get NONE of my money.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Last i heard u needed to install origins if you wanted to play any game made by EA, so if thats true, isnt the 4 million misleading? There could be plently of people who have it just cause they need it for EA to let the game be played, doesnt mean they use the thing beyond that.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
thespyisdead said:
get a fucking console!!! no DRM or Origin there!
GET DOWN BOY!
*shoves into cover*
Phew... the PC elitists nearly got you there, what with their 'superior mouse aiming' (you know i jest, escapist :p)
Now don't say that again or you will be destroyed.
(consoles aren't really 'welcome' here)

OP: Stay classy Valve!
:D

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
well steam is like any other major store (like gamestop) only its digital.
Origin is more like a one-man dick waving contest where EA basically states "we have our stamp on shitloads of games"

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
vrbtny said:
Eh, unlike Steam, Origin is stable and doesn't chow down on CPU and RAM until your computer grinds to a halt and bursts into tears under the insane demands of the system.

Just my 2 cents.
Really? What program are you using? Definitely not Orgin, which with the window closed and running in the backround takes 70-90,000k of memory usage, compared to steam in the backround while running an open chat chat window using voice takes up only 13,000k. Please, give me whatever program you're using because I would like it.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Well from the start I think valve thought there would be more download survices like steam...maybe some compation will be good.
Cause I see valve looking tawards the consumer end and EA looking at their walet but compation is good.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The only reason origin has 4 mil subscribers is that they are about to release 2 big games that people really want and both require origin. But I don't really see origin becoming as much of a digital distribution storefront as steam has become, sure they will get some 3rd party games on there but I doubt most of the other big publishers are going to be willing to put stuff on origin. Steam has the benefit of being owned by valve and valve isn't really a publisher, so there isn't a conflict of interests with someone like activision putting games on it.

Feb 13, 2008
Seriously, whatever you might think of Steam/Valve, Gabe is the only one (with the possible exception of Molyneux) who can keep a civil tongue in his head.

[sub]Must not make a tongue joke.[/sub]

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
IKWerewolf said:
Give this man a medal... if every publisher was like this guy, we'd be a much stronger community.
And a great deal fewer games.

>.>

Since a member of my family plays the sims and is locked into using Origin I can catch a gander at how it works, I can guarantee that steam is far more reliable and uses less resources.

With that in mind, I have absolutely no intention on purchasing another EA game that is not available via steam unless I cave and get the console version.