Valve Drops the Hammer On Infringing Dota 2 Mace

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
ResonanceSD said:
Well, a cake would be nice.

I think there is a lack of communication between us. I meant that this kind of paranoia is a tad stupid and Valve was right when using the ban hammer on the guy for breaking the deal between them.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
bafrali said:
Let me repeat it again. He knew the danger of losing his account and consequantly the games with it. You may be annoyed with the system but man accepted the rules and outcomes that comes along with it if he fucks up. Then he messed up his part of the deal and got what was promised within the rules he accepted and ultimately defied.

I don't think it can get simpler han this before we use the abacus
Just a thought, but I think maybe some people are "defending" him, not necessarily because they think what he did wasn't warrant of punishment, but maybe this wasn't the "right" punishment per se.

Oh, he should be punished, absolutely, with maybe something more severe. But because the man payed for his games, thereby making it his property (unless you want to get into legal mumbo jumbo of "license" and "services", which, if this were anybody but VALVe, people wouldn't accept that BS), it doesn't seem fair to take away his property for some.

It'd be like if someone was caught plagiarizing, and instead of fining him, suing him, whatever the standard protocol is, they take away his house and possessions (rather than make it so expensive for him to keep them). Regardless of what you think of plagiarism, it's not right to outright take someone's property because of it.

I also said that this might be as a sort of cold reminder of VALVe's power over our property through their digital distribution service a few posts up. Now, I am also a bit on the side that taking away his games was a bit harsh, or at least not the type of harshness that he deserved. Why not punish him with the same punishments that plagiarism gets in his home country; a huge fine, potential restriction of the service (not his games, maybe, I dunno), and liable for lawsuit. I dunno, I guess to some the punishment does not fit the crime, and to me it probably should have been something else entirely.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
He made money off of copyright infringement! He should feel damn lucky that's all that is going to happen. Most people would lose thousands or more from such a stunt.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Jumplion said:
If it comes to a choice between losing a vague number of games which he probably got with a discount over steam or getting headaches with lawsuits that will probably cost him a lot more than games, i would like to think he got off easy if that was his only punishment. As for the rest of the argument, i have nothing more to say that isn't included in my previous posts.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
bafrali said:
mike1921 said:
bafrali said:
Andy Chalk said:
Call me old-fashioned, but I equate this with, say, EA sending a guy over to your house to take away all the games you legally paid for because it caught you making copies of one you didn't. I don't think any of us would stand for that, so why is it okay for Valve to take away legitimately-purchased Steam titles for an unrelated matter?
Steam is a service, not a retail product. Man violated the service rules he accepted beforehand and is banned from the service accordingly, losing the related licences in the process. He knew the danger and suffered the consequences.

Wish i knew how to fit an "unforeseen consequences" joke there
It's a service in some bullshit legal sense. In the real world steam is a store, regardless of how behind on the times the legislation is. He bought the licences, a one time payment with no pre-determined time when they will become invalid, he should be entitled to them. It's sickening that people have taken to buying the "it's a service " line, it's a place you enter for free and buy things with one transaction with no pre-set date when it's not yours anymore, that's called a retail store not a service. Entering the store and making purchases is a service. The actual items you purchased are yours.

Doesn't mean I'm against him getting sued for this for a value worth more than his steam account is worth, that's irrelevant if you ask me.
Let me repeat it again. He knew the danger of losing his account and consequantly the games with it. You may be annoyed with the system but man accepted the rules and outcomes that comes along with it if he fucks up. Then he messed up his part of the deal and got what was promised within the rules he accepted and ultimately defied.

I don't think it can get simpler han this before we use the abacus
http://www.shacknews.com/article/73450/steam-account-bans-no-longer-take-away-all-your-games -actually no he didn't lose the games. So the whole premise of the issue is false but pretending it's not, you're not saying anything that anyone doesn't know. We know that those things were on the table to be lost, the problem would be why are they on the table in the first place.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Call me old-fashioned, but I equate this with, say, EA sending a guy over to your house to take away all the games you legally paid for because it caught you making copies of one you didn't. I don't think any of us would stand for that, so why is it okay for Valve to take away legitimately-purchased Steam titles for an unrelated matter?
If he got taken to court, He would have lost way more than valve could ever take from him. That's how he got off easy. It's not even just straight up piracy. If your example were to be valid, you would have to add that he is selling the games for a profit. EA wouldn't come to his house and take his games, he would lose his house paying for the fines. And probably spending time in jail.

Even if you think the punishment is incorrect or misguided, it is still anything but harsh, all things considered.

EDIT: oh I forgot to mention, he also passed it off as his own, which would get him banned from any university, making all the money sunk there lost. It's like he made a copy of the game, changed the name, and then put his name, and his friends' names in the credits.

EDIT 2: this is relevant as well http://www.shacknews.com/article/73450/steam-account-bans-no-longer-take-away-all-your-games

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
mike1921 said:
From this point on, it becomes irrevelamt to the subject matter at hand and goes to the territory of opinions about steam's service rules which i am currently content with and have no intention discussing. You don't like steam? FINE!!! But don't bring it to the table when we are talking about facts and the fact is Valve did what they said they would in case of a certain occurance. It was legal, foreshadowed and all around predictable.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
bafrali said:
mike1921 said:
From this point on, it becomes irrevelamt to the subject matter at hand and goes to the territory of opinions about steam's service rules which i am currently content with and have no intention discussing. You don't like steam? FINE!!! But don't bring it to the table when we are talking about facts and the fact is Valve did what they said they would in case of a certain occurance. It was legal, foreshadowed and all around predictable.
No, I have no problem with their service rules and do like them, did you even click the link in my post?

The fact you're talking about is something no one is disputing. What you're saying is about as useful as just repeating "STEAM SELLS VIDEO GAMES"....well yes it's true, is this supposed to be a revelation? Like seriously why isn't outrage over what steam did (even though they didn't do it, like I said and like you'd know or at least challenge if you read my fucking post, the dude probably didn't lose his games the author of the article probably just assumed a ban means being locked out of all of your games or because they used to do that) allowed in response to something they do whether it's legal foreshadowed or predictable?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
bafrali said:
mike1921 said:
Let me start over then. What IS the problem?
Well at the moment the real problems are that there wasn't enough press on steam changing their bans, and the fact that people think it would be ok for steam to do shitty practices under the guise of being a service and not a store ( whether steam actually does them or not). But with what steam did? Nothing. With what people think steam did though? That they took away some dude's property over something irrelevant, not that it's illegitimate or a surprise.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
mike1921 said:
"I have no problem with their service rules and do like them"

If you like their service rules, why didn't you read them? Their service rules states that if you cause copy infringement shitstorm, your account will banned.

If you really like their service rules, why do you defend a guy that has clearly defied them? (with theft no less)

If you genuinely like their service rules, why are we even having this conversation right now?

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
THis guy's lucky he hasn't been pursued legally, though it may happen still if Aion want to. The guy knowingly stole copyrighted material and passed it off as his own. If you think a steam ban is too harsh, this guy is lucky he isnt being hit with a huge fine that means he could never buy another game in his life.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
Stormz said:
Wonderful, glad to know me not supporting steam anymore is valid. He does something as small as this and gets banned for it and loses access to all the games he paid for.
As SMALL as this? You do realise he submitted someone elses work and lied about it being his own. If it wasnt caught he stood to make a substantial profit off this. Yes - he would have made real money off other peoples COPYRIGHTED work. Not only is this against every bit of Steam's TOS which he obviously had to accept, but I'm pretty sure it would also be highly ilegal. Being banned from Steam is an incredibly minor punishment for the crime.

If he had committed the same crime in any other medium he would have been fined/sued/jailed/all of the above. I am genuinely suprised that a steam ban is all he got, he must be the luckiest guy alive.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
In the DotA news updates it is phrased as "an extended steam community ban." not a permaban.
I really don't feel sorry for the guy, consider the ice Valve will have to break with NCSoft over the fact that valve made money from an Aion art asset? What if NCSoft aren't satisfied with Valve's stance that it can't guarantee all workshop items on it's own, and the workshop becomes a more limited and draconian space because of it?
What REALLY sucks, is that I had two of them but traded one away before all this surfaced. XD

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
bafrali said:
mike1921 said:
"I have no problem with their service rules and do like them"

If you like their service rules, why didn't you read them? Their service rules states that if you cause copy infringement shitstorm, your account will banned.

If you really like their service rules, why do you defend a guy that has clearly defied them? (with theft no less)

If you genuinely like their service rules, why are we even having this conversation right now?
Maybe if you read my posts you'd know the answer to those first two questions. You clearly refuse to read through my posts. It's all about what a "ban" entails (or even if they call it a ban), I have a source saying a ban doesn't entail you losing your games.

We're having this conversation because people think they removed the dude's games when they probably didn't. Because of a misunderstanding. If the article is wrong and did remove his games I'm against it because like I said there's no reason for that to be on the table.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
That's the one thing I hate about sites like Stream.You get banned you lose all your games.If that's not a crock of shit I don't know what is.Could you imaging Nintendo or Sega doing this back in the 90's? Oh you let a friend borrow your Sonic 2 game? Well your banned from Sega!We will take all your Sega games back!

It's sad that we can't own the games we buy now a days.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
IamGamer41 said:
That's the one thing I hate about sites like Stream.You get banned you lose all your games.If that's not a crock of shit I don't know what is.Could you imaging Nintendo or Sega doing this back in the 90's? Oh you let a friend borrow your Sonic 2 game? Well your banned from Sega!We will take all your Sega games back!

It's sad that we can't own the games we buy now a days.
I'm thinking the article here is wrong and that dude didn't really lose his games, and that the person who wrote the article just assumed being banned means you lose your game (it used to mean that too)

According to this he didn't lose his games http://www.shacknews.com/article/73450/steam-account-bans-no-longer-take-away-all-your-games