Valve: Everything We Do Competes Against Half-Life 2

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Ironman126 said:
Z of the Na said:
[small]Speaking of Left 4 Dead in comparison to their sales, I wonder when they will be releasing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac...[/small]
Just as soon as Mac's can handle the graphical demands put on the system by those games. Integrated video card/motherboards just won't cut it.
I understand your concern, but my Macbook Pro that I am presently typing on can handle the entire Orange Box on max settings. In the past, I used a Windows 7 partition on my hard drive and played Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 on there without any problems, all on this Macbook Pro.

That kind of blows the whole "Macs can't handle it" aspect right out of the water.

[small]I can also right click, I use a real mouse...[/small]

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Wonder if the total number of copies sold includes the orange box. I bought HL2 when it came out, then purchased the orange box years later. Does that count as a 2nd purchase of the same title?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Half Life 2 wasn't even that great. It's as overrated as FF7.
I agree, but everyone else seems to love it. Admittedly all thier games are well made and enjoyable, but they've all felt a little soulless to me. Perhaps that's not the right word, but it certaintly feels like something's missing from all of them.

Personally I prefered Portal.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
You have to love how every news statement regarding the legacy or disappointment of a franchise eventually devolves into a discussion about the subject instead of being on topic.

ValvE has a good point, people do compare it with HL2 whether they liked that game or not.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im not surprised, when it comes to an FPS, you look no further than HL2, to tell you whats epic, and what not. I ever see alot of non-valve games been pressed against it too.

If anything, its a homage, to what is one of the most important shooters, at least in this millenium.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Heh, they may be a bit hard on themselves. L4D, TF2 and Portal are all great games and I love them very much, though it's true Half Life 2 is a masterpiece.

13 million copies, wow. That's a lot of copies. I wonder if sales of The Orange Box are included, since it practically gave the game for free...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
you'd think that they would actually programming a particular expansion rather than talking about it all the time.

this is how 3D realms managed not to complete a game, they talked too much, especially on their own website

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Well, i paid for 2 of those copies and got one free with my ATI Gfx card way back when.
Bought Original HL2
Bought OrangeBox, which includes HL2
Free voucher for Orange box with my ATI 4870, which includes HL2

No wonder they sold so many.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
To find that out, they just would have needed to take a look at the internet, where every time when the name Valve is mentioned, there are hordes of angry nerds demanding Episode 3.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Stop talking and make Ep3. Then people might forget about HL2 enough for other games to get the spotlight for more than dubious cake.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
And how much did you Macbook Pro cost? Cuz i bet i paid $1000 less for my PC, which does all that, too. That's the real issue. Macs are freaking expensive and if you game, it's just easier and more cost effective to get a PC. $1500 for a Mac that can game vs. $600 for a PC that can do exactly the same thing. And most Macs can't handle games like L4D2.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Makes sense, it was pretty ground breaking. Hell, it holds up pretty damn well today, I'm currently replaying it in fact. I also wish they'd release episode 3, just so everyone would freaking shut up about it.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
Seriously guys, if you really belive that make episode 3 for christs sake.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
In regards to all the people saying "Half-Life 2 wasn't all that great/is overrated."

That is your OPINION, not a fact. At the time, it was exceptionally well designed, stunningly beautiful, atmospheric as hell, smart, and the characters were the best ever seen in a videogame. There's a reason the game got the scores it did, even if you personally didn't enjoy it.

I know what I just said comes across as Valve-fanboyism but I get annoyed whenever anyone states their opinion as though it were the only one worth listening to.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
As others have pointed out, while Half-Life 2 was certainly a gem in its day, I think much of the recurring praise for the game is more due to the (borderline excessive) loyalty of VALVe's fanbase.

It was good, yes. It was successful, yes. However, the level to which people (apparently everyone on the internet, anyway) insists on comparing ALL FPS titles to HL2 is not only obnoxious and unwarranted, I believe it's damaging to the gaming community as a whole.

Off my tirade and back on-topic: I'm not surprised.