Valve: Everything We Do Competes Against Half-Life 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve: Everything We Do Competes Against Half-Life 2

Despite a stable of incredibly popular games, Valve's Doug Lombardi says that it's Gordon Freeman's second outing that rules the roost.

The likes of Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2 might be incredibly popular and loved by players and critics alike, but none of them is Valve's most successful game. That particular crown is worn by 2004's Half-Life 2, and VP of marketing Doug Lombardi says that every game that Valve has released since then has been compared to it.

Lombardi said that the launch for Half Life 2 was "huge," and that the game sold around six million copies in the first year. He said that Valve had been chasing the game's success for years, but he thought that Portal 2 could potentially be similarly successful, especially considering the game was coming out on four platforms simultaneously - PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Lombardi also said that Valve didn't feel the need to market for each platform individually, as most gaming websites were multi-platform and television spots were platform agnostic. He used Left 4 Dead 2 as an example and said that of the $25 million spent on marketing the game, at least $23 million was spent on promoting just the brand and the game, without any attention paid to highlighting the specific platform.

With Half-Life 2's lifetime sales standing at over 13 million copies, Portal 2 has a tough act to follow when it comes out next year, but I don't think anyone would be willing to count it out just yet.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/half-life-2-remains-benchmark-of-success-to-valve/]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Hardly a surprise. Half Life 2 was one of the best (and first) first person shooters I ever played. It's got to be a tough act to follow. You just can't beat Gordan Freeman and 'dem Headcrabs!

[small]Speaking of Left 4 Dead in comparison to their sales, I wonder when they will be releasing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac...[/small]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
*insert comment about the continuing absence of any information about Half Life 2 Episode 3 Half Life 3 here*

Although, to be honest, I'm not surprised, considering how popular it was and how many mods use it.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
HL2 has 13 million copies sold? Damn, that's really impressive...although it does suck to be competing with your own product. But hey, all their titles have been of good quality, so I guess it's good to hold yourself to such a standard.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Half Life 2 wasn't even that great. It's as overrated as FF7.

Apr 28, 2008
Makes sense. Considering the game is mentioned and loved everywhere on the internet.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
I hate to reiterate what's already been said, but this raises a point: if everything you're doing is competing against one game, wouldn't it make sense to finish the last part of that game so you can move on?

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Z of the Na said:
[small]Speaking of Left 4 Dead in comparison to their sales, I wonder when they will be releasing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac...[/small]
Just as soon as Mac's can handle the graphical demands put on the system by those games. Integrated video card/motherboards just won't cut it.

Digital_Utopia

Mar 20, 2009
Hey Valve, remember when you said you were going to do episodic content for Half-Life 2, and release 3 smaller games at a faster pace than one large game? Yeah, well, just to let you know that it's closing on 3 years since you released Episode Two, and four since you released Episode One. Comparatively, Half-Life 2 took six years. You're kinda running out a time here - even by your DNF approaching release schedules.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Most here would disagree, but I don't. If they release it at a low price (£20 or less on consoles and PC/Mac), Portal 2 will probably outsell HL2 on hype alone.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Makes sense, but I would have thought a better title would have been.

Valve: Everything We Do Is An Initial Disappointment That's Its Not HL2 Ep 3

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Sounds about right. As much as I loved Portal with its clever gameplay and excellent writing and humour, I still think of Half-Life 2 as Valve's magnum opus. The atmosphere particularly was brilliant, especially during the opening levels that really managed to get across how much of a totalitarian crapsack world City 17 was. Valve's ability to tell a story without having to take control away from the player and resort to cutscenes is a thing more developers should emulate.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
It was great to begin with? Half Life 2 was shit. An overrated piece mind you. Then again...Valve is an overrated developer too.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
While I'd love Portal 2 to beat Half Life 2 from it's throne (I always thought it was ok, never brilliant, until Episode 2 that is) I don't think it will happen. Mainly because Portal 2 is a puzzle game and Half Life 2 is a first-person-shoot-anything-that-moves game. One generally has a wider mass appeal than the other. I can't even see Portal 2 doing as well as say the Left 4 Dead games.

Ironman126 said:
Z of the Na said:
Just as soon as Mac's can handle the graphical demands put on the system by those games. Integrated video card/motherboards just won't cut it.
Portal 2 is coming out for the mac. Seeing as it's using an even more updated source engine if it can handle Portal 2 is can handle Left 4 Dead.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
Plinglebob said:
Most here would disagree, but I don't. If they release it at a low price (£20 or less on consoles and PC/Mac), Portal 2 will probably outsell HL2 on hype alone.
Except its not going to be a budget title. They are already saying this is a full stand alone game. Expect $50 PC and $60 Consoles.