Valve: Everything We Do Competes Against Half-Life 2

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
HL2 IS the greatest shooter of all time. Gordon freeman being the best gaming character of all time as proven by gamespot contest.

No other game can challenge it. Hence why valve puts it as the benchmark

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
KCL said:
JeanLuc761 said:
Slow =/= bad pacing.
Pacing is how you create the sense of slowness or speed that gives shape to a narrative. Half-Life 2 is an absolute mess from a narratological standpoint.
I always use it as an example of almost pitch-perfect pacing. The vehicle sections are quite a way off (they're too long), but everything else is right where it should be.

If you want a lesson in 'how not to pace a game' play GTA IV, RDR or Bioshock.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Well, Half-Life is extremely successful for two reasons: It's been out longer and its in the Orange Box.

I'm sure with time games like Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Source can beat Half-Life 2's sales.

[sub]And pigs will fly out of my ass.[/sub]

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Hardly a surprise. Half Life 2 was one of the best (and first) first person shooters I ever played. It's got to be a tough act to follow. You just can't beat Gordan Freeman and 'dem Headcrabs!

[small]Speaking of Left 4 Dead in comparison to their sales, I wonder when they will be releasing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac...[/small]
Actually I know of one game that can potentially beat Half Life 2 if it ever releases... +1 Awesomeness to whoever guesses it!

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Monicro said:
LesIsMore said:
I hate to reiterate what's already been said, but this raises a point: if everything you're doing is competing against one game, wouldn't it make sense to finish the last part of that game so you can move on?
I still say they're trying to build hype. I mean, the internet is already at the point where it'll implode on itself if/when EP3 is announced, so they're probably trying to build it up even more.
No doubt, but I think it's reaching the point where hype is going to backfire on them. It's the same thing that will happen if "Duke Nukem Forever" ever gets released - it's been so hyped and so anticipated that whatever comes out can't do anything but disappoint.

I don't think it's there yet - and certainly I'd rank Valve head and shoulders above 3D Realms in terms of development talent - but there's a point where hype and anticipation give way, and with sequels to Left 4 Dead and Portal taking priority Valve isn't giving a lot of indication their prime intellectual property is their focal point. Which makes statements like Lombardi's ring a little hollow to me.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Half Life 2 is damn good, but Portal blew my goddamn socks right off. That is a gaming experience that nothing can match so far.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
nick_knack said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Half Life 2 wasn't even that great. It's as overrated as FF7.
TROLL IN THE DUNGEONS!!!!!11....

thought you ought to know.....
Watching Harry Potter much?

And this fanboyism needs to stop. I don't mind if you don't like a game, but back up your statements. Saying "It's as overrated as FF7" is a statement, not an opinion. If the person had said "I feel it's as overrated as FF7" it would be an opinion, and a much less viable target for bashing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Woodsey said:
Bioshock had bad narrative pacing? Reaaaaaally dude?
Now you are doing the same thing. Your comments were used to bash you for making statments rather than facts, his did the same. He stated that Bioshock had bad pacing, you stated that HL2 is overrated.

Make opinions, not statements, and more people will be inclined to leave them as such, instead of using them as trollbait.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I like that philosophy, more companies should adopt it. Like maybe...Activision? CoD might have some hope of surviving if Black Ops threw away the book and made the new better book. Here's hoping.
And I quite enjoy Half Life 2. It is very immersive, with strong characters throughout and a powerful storyline. Those who can't see that can go play Guitar Hero.
Ironman126 said:
Z of the Na said:
[small]Speaking of Left 4 Dead in comparison to their sales, I wonder when they will be releasing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac...[/small]
Just as soon as Mac's can handle the graphical demands put on the system by those games. Integrated video card/motherboards just won't cut it.
Left 4 Dead isn't that demanding, less so than Half Life 2 which is available for Mac. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is planning to release it for Mac the same time as the DLC for L4D1.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Perhaps this is why they are focusing on games other than Episode 3?

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Yeah Half-life 2 is our crown jewel, our magnum opus and we're completely dedicated to Half-Life.

Episodes? What episodes? I don't know what your talking about. Half-Life had no episodes.

(the above is completely sarcastic)

Digital_Utopia

Mar 20, 2009
Danzaivar said:
You say that, but modern FPS' are closer to Halo than Half-Life. Regenerating health, 2 firearm limit, melee separate from weapons, grenades separate from weapons. About all Half-Life added was some form of grav-gun/physics mechanic, maybe vehicle sections (Tho Halo had them too).

For general gameplay tho, Half-Life feels positively old school. Health packs and hyperspace pockets for all your weapons galore! In fact the only other game I can think of that stuck with that was Resistance(PS3), even they changed to the 2 weapon/health regen system for Resistance 2.

Story and writing are solid tho, no argument there.
Actually HL2 (and technically anything on that engine) still has the best facial expression/animation setup out there. Not exactly something for an FPS game to base itself on, but when the story is that much of a part of the game, it's pretty important for Half-Life.

As another poster said, you're mainly talking about a console shooter - and while I'll probably never shake my belief that FPS games are better with a keyboard/mouse - I'll respect most of the changes they've brought (QT moments however are still crap). I'll also admit that HL2 isn't much of a pure shooter, it's definitely a slower paced game than most, but then again - the original Half-Life was no exception to the rule (but yet an exception to the rule at the time). People that like Half-Life enjoy the the series for that reason.

Personally, I'd really like to see a modernized run & gunner again. I like the emergence of realism in FPS games, but I still miss the endurance and quick thinking that was the embodiment of Doom and it's sequel (there are only two Doom games!)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Woodsey said:
Bioshock had bad narrative pacing? Reaaaaaally dude?
Yes. Case in point:

I'm about to meet Andrew Ryan, and am now approaching his office door. This is a big moment - even without knowing about the twist - and then when I reach the door I'm told to fuck off for an hour just to get it open.

They do this "blue key for the blue door" thing like 4 times, except there's always 3 bloody "keys" each time. It wrecked all the suspense and anticipation.

The gameplay loop is also a mess if you play with the vita-chambers on.

Mayonegg

Mar 29, 2009
Valve shouldn't be surprised. Once you've created what many consider to be/ will be your magnum opus, you will spend the rest of your creative life chasing it. Everything Welles ever did was compared to Citizen Kane; everything Ricky Gervais ever does is compared to The Office.

Simply because as an 'artist' you should be able to better yourself. Really, Valve should just be grateful they created a work of such accolade.

KCL

Jan 12, 2010
Woodsey said:
I always use it as an example of almost pitch-perfect pacing.
Game designers do fine, by and large, when it comes to pacing game play, but they're clueless about pacing narrative. Very rarely is any thought given to the intersection between the two. But hey, at least Valve knows how to tell a story through actual play. Tried Starcraft 2 yet? It should've been subtitled "Wrath of the Cutscenes."

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I really wish I had more time to actually sit down and play HL2. Every time I start, I end up having to rebuild my PC before I can finish it and I lose all my save data. Still love what I've seen of it though.