Valve Gifts Complete Collection to Portal 2 ARG Completists

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
And Bethesda wants you to get a baby on a certain date and give it a stupid name for the same thing (all their games). I think Valves' offer was a little (just a teeny tiny bit) better than theirs.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
"To anyone complaining that Valve was trying to drain fans of money with the ARG and the Potato Sack, what do you think now?".

Well considering a lot fo the games required those potatoes i wouldn't be suprised if those players already owned all those games in the complete pack and find it was just a waste of a prize.
Huh?

A lot of what games required the potatoes?

OT: No one was forced to buy the potato sack - if no one had bought it or owned any of the games, Portal 2 would simply have been released on time. Or you could have bought only a few, or one of the games. I only bought Audiosurf, since it'd been reduced to £3 and I wanted it already.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
The weird thing is, I just bought the pack cause it was a good deal. Then suddenly GLaDOS started messing with all my games. I was not happy. Well, maybe a little =D
It certainly pissed me off when she kept redirecting my Audiosurf games and made me keep going back to the main screen so I could bloody select Ninja Mono. That's by far the most annoying update I've ever seen.

Ontopic, I WAS EVEN THINKING OF GETTING A GOLDEN POTATO D:
And then I just decided to be lazy. What a waste >.>

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This is why valve is the developer that always stands out do you see anybody else even kinda trying these types of things

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Wellll yeaah... I mean you cannot complain about free stuff. Trouble is if you ever played anything with friends on steam you will prolly have most of the games. Also funny thing is that the pack is not realy Complete. It misses Portal 2 :D!

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
CommanderKirov said:
Wellll yeaah... I mean you cannot complain about free stuff. Trouble is if you ever played anything with friends on steam you will prolly have most of the games. Also funny thing is that the pack is not realy Complete. It misses Portal 2 :D!
Wrong on two counts. You get giftable copies of the games you already have, and it's the Valve Complete Pack + Portal 2.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Just to put things straight; Valve made waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money by selling the Potato Sack than they lost by giving away the Complete Pack to the few who had the nerve to get all potatoes.

Nonetheless, Valve remains pretty cool

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Skizle said:
I hate Valve, but even I think this is generous. $35 to get a pack that's valued over $80 is indeed a good deal.
That's $33 if you already preordered Portal 2. Hell yes.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I think they did well with this. Probably the first time Valve thought with their minds and not their wallets.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
To anyone complaining that Valve was trying to drain fans of money with the ARG and the Potato Sack, what do you think now?
Well, all of those people were self centered and upset that they didn't get Portal 2 on Friday like the rumor they foolishly believed had claimed, so their opinion likely hasn't changed a bit because they didn't bother getting all the potatoes. In fact, they probably think Valve is even more greedy now.

Really, if I learned two things from the ARG, it's these:
1. Valve is extremely awesome.
2. Many people are extremely shit.

Congratulations to everyone who got all the potatoes and received some free games.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I got the golden tater over the last three days of the event. As far as I'm concerned, it was worth it for Portal 2 alone (though I did also like most of the games in the Sack).

Not to mention I now have some spare Christmas/birthday gifts (spare copies of Portal, TF2, and both L4Ds).

Lichman

Nov 10, 2010
Anyone think that the counter is using potatoes for people who are playing the game is that Portal is referring those player's as couch potatoes, sitting in our lazy chairs and soaking up the game?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Under the circumstances, they've been shockingly nice...

...what?

Yeah, getting the Complete Pack would've been a really nice bonus to wake up to. It also makes sense now why Valve was so angry about the potato cheaters a few days from the end.

awesome_ninja

Mar 2, 2011
Horrible ARG.... Don't get me wrong but, all the time spent just to get... ONE game? (Ricochet)
I am a VALVe fan, and bought almost all of their games, but this is outrageous! Loyal fans gets screwed over, and newcomers get served like kings! This is complete BS, and that is the reason this ARG was a massive fail. Everyone says that on SPUF, and I support them. I was hoping for something more than that, especially for long-term fans that have bought all their games.

Oh, did I mention that you also got a free Portal 2 copy if you got all the potatoes? This is a DOUBLE fail from VALVe, for long term fans and Steam users. I love VALVe, but this time: FU** YOU!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Ziadaine said:
I think they did well with this. Probably the first time Valve thought with their minds and not their wallets.
Er, what? This is not the first time Valve gave away stuff for free. They gave away UT2007 at a weekend on Steam. And the original Portal. Hell, they hired out the mod team working on Alien Swarm, paid them full time, and then gave the finished game away for free on launch day.

I'm not going all 'Steam loves us all!' or something, mind. What they're doing is really smart business. All the free TF2 updates and free PC version of Portal with the PS3 copy? It's so that people log into Steam, see all the deals at the store, and go impulse shopping.

I would say they definitely think with their minds when it comes to their business practices.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Pretty sure anyone insane enough to collect all those thirty-six potatoes were big valve fans anyway, and would have any valve game they were remotely interested in.

But, their mates will benefit from their hard work, and I traded some crappy hats in tf2 (3 of them, none were worth-mentioningly good) to a stranger for HL1+DMC+HL:Opposingforce+BlueShift+TFC

So, I'm not really complaining loudly.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
awesome_ninja said:
Horrible ARG.... Don't get me wrong but, all the time spent just to get... ONE game? (Ricochet)
I am a VALVe fan, and bought almost all of their games, but this is outrageous! Loyal fans gets screwed over, and newcomers get served like kings! This is complete BS, and that is the reason this ARG was a massive fail. Everyone says that on SPUF, and I support them. I was hoping for something more than that, especially for long-term fans that have bought all their games.

Oh, did I mention that you also got a free Portal 2 copy if you got all the potatoes? This is a DOUBLE fail from VALVe, for long term fans and Steam users. I love VALVe, but this time: FU** YOU!
Let me get this straight: you interpret getting free gift rewards for playing games to be bullshit that's screwing you over?

Priorities. Yours require rethinking.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
awesome_ninja said:

Uh...maybe this is just me, but I'm pretty happy that it came out twelve hours earlier for me. I mean, I was playing it Monday evening, as opposed to tuseday mid-afternoon.

That's pretty good!

Let me get this straight: you interpret getting free gift rewards for playing games to be bullshit that's screwing you over?

Priorities. Yours require rethinking.
Yeah, this too.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
josemlopes said:
Serves well those assholes that said that they were tricked on buying the Potato Sack just to get the game earlier.
yup it all makes sence and you will apreciates the whole campain once you finnish portal 2,
very unique.