Valve Gifts Complete Collection to Portal 2 ARG Completists

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
It'd be a much better reward had the ARG site not existed. Made it ridiculously easy. Wish i'd bought the whole pack now, though.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Who Dares Wins said:
And Bethesda wants you to get a baby on a certain date and give it a stupid name for the same thing (all their games). I think Valves' offer was a little (just a teeny tiny bit) better than theirs.
To be fair, Bethesda's contest was just a joke at first. They only attached an actual reward to it when people started taking it seriously.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
...I hate people. Fuck ARGs! You want to give us information, give us the fucking information! Don't make us go on a scavenger hunt and have to guess what is part of the game and what is a real site, or part of a different ARG. Also, how do I know if I missed something? Well I can't. Last i checked the Cloverfield ARG was still incomplete. There are still sites people have not found. That movie was released three years ago! Assholes!

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
This is probably the best thing a game developer has ever done for committed customers. Over a hundred dollars worth of free games is really quite something.

BlackWidower said:
...I hate people. Fuck ARGs! You want to give us information, give us the fucking information! Don't make us go on a scavenger hunt and have to guess what is part of the game and what is a real site, or part of a different ARG. Also, how do I know if I missed something? Well I can't. Last i checked the Cloverfield ARG was still incomplete. There are still sites people have not found. That movie was released three years ago! Assholes!
Are you serious? If everyone knew what the ARG gave you in the end, there would have been hundreds of FAQ's posted across the internet, and nobody would ever have to buy any of their previous games. That would literally rob Valve of millions in sales.

Being mad about some people getting a freebee for being quite dedicated fans is kind of childish. You can't seriously blame them for not posting everything about the ARG online, can you?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
awesome_ninja said:
Horrible ARG.... Don't get me wrong but, all the time spent just to get... ONE game? (Ricochet)
I am a VALVe fan, and bought almost all of their games, but this is outrageous! Loyal fans gets screwed over, and newcomers get served like kings! This is complete BS, and that is the reason this ARG was a massive fail. Everyone says that on SPUF, and I support them. I was hoping for something more than that, especially for long-term fans that have bought all their games.

Oh, did I mention that you also got a free Portal 2 copy if you got all the potatoes? This is a DOUBLE fail from VALVe, for long term fans and Steam users. I love VALVe, but this time: FU** YOU!
"You can tell I am their greatest fan because I hate them the most."

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I managed to get the golden potato by the end, though I cut it a bit close and had to exhast myself to get it. To be honest, when I found out we wouldn't get giftable copies for the games we already had, I was a bit upset, as I already had all that I cared for. But it didn't matter too much I decided. I was just going to end up giving them away anyways. I'm really annoyed by just how angry some people were (though I can understand those that preordered the game and didn't get an extra copy being angry). It just seemed like there was so much rage.

Anyways, it was a good ARG, and I'm glad I took part in it. Hopefully I can use the extra copies I got for good.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
freaper said:
Just to put things straight; Valve made waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money by selling the Potato Sack than they lost by giving away the Complete Pack to the few who had the nerve to get all potatoes.

Nonetheless, Valve remains pretty cool
Valve made NO money selling the Potato Sack you moron, it all goes to the indie developers whose games are in the pack. Geez, why does everyone think the Potato Sack is Valve's product, when it was only really Valve's initiative?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Sad thing is that despite Valve doing an incredibly awesome thing here they still have loads of people bitching and moaning at them about it on the steam user forums.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
freaper said:
Just to put things straight; Valve made waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money by selling the Potato Sack than they lost by giving away the Complete Pack to the few who had the nerve to get all potatoes.

Valve made NO money selling the Potato Sack you moron, it all goes to the indie developers whose games are in the pack. Geez, why does everyone think the Potato Sack is Valve's product, when it was only really Valve's initiative?
Not that I disagree with you but Valve do get a small cut of the profits for each sale, I think it's something like 20% which is much smaller than any other distributer asks for meaning Steam is the perfect platform for indie developers as they see most of the money made on their games returned to them.

Like I said though, I don't disagree with you.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hmm... A bunch of gift games to give to my friends would have been neat, but I just couldn't be bothered to participate. =P

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
This is exactly the kind of thing that made me vote for Valve as the top dog in the MM, and although they didn't win the contest, they've cemented their place in my mind as a deserved choice.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Ickorus said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
freaper said:

Not that I disagree with you but Valve do get a small cut of the profits for each sale, I think it's something like 20% which is much smaller than any other distributer asks for meaning Steam is the perfect platform for indie developers as they see most of the money made on their games returned to them.

Like I said though, I don't disagree with you.
Hmm, it probably is true, but I think seeing as Valve not only heavily reduced the price and (I assume) told the indie devs to develop extra content for their games, they would probably make sure that 20% or whatever figure it is going towards the indies. Though they could also have paid them to create the new content, in which case, the money went somewhere - it just wasn't cut out of profits.

But yeah, a lot of people look at the Potato Sack and call it "Valve's moneymaking scam," which I think serves a massive discredit to the developers whose products are actually in the pack.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
Who Dares Wins said:
And Bethesda wants you to get a baby on a certain date and give it a stupid name for the same thing (all their games). I think Valves' offer was a little (just a teeny tiny bit) better than theirs.

their entire back catalog, and all future games for life, and thats just one part of the prize.

their last similar sort of thing gave the "winner" alot of cash. this bestheda comp is going to make someone quite well off i can tell you that ;)

GGZeta

Mar 11, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Well considering a lot fo the games required those potatoes i wouldn't be suprised if those players already owned all those games in the complete pack and find it was just a waste of a prize.
Waste of a prize? WASTE OF A PRIZE? It's a PRIZE, they didn't have to get anything. A golden potato could have just been an achievement, or a little gold icon by the player's name. But no, it was EVERY GAME VALVE EVER RELEASED. Any gamer that has the outright gall to complain about receiving a pile of free games (regardless of if they already had them) has just lost all credibility. They should just give them to their friends if that pile of FREE GAMES is making them lose sleep at night at how unfair and greedy Valve is.

Oh? They don't have friends? Well, mystery solved then.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
freaper said:

Can't make a statement without someone calling you mentally deficient...

Of course I know Valve didn't make the games in the Potato Sack, but like Ickorus pointed out, they still get a small part of the profit.

Besides, they got a huge boost in popularity by doing this ARG stunt.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
My friend was telling me about this. And was basically raging about how it was basically a slap in the face to all the Valve fans who bought all of the games before only to get them free.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
GGZeta said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Well considering a lot fo the games required those potatoes i wouldn't be suprised if those players already owned all those games in the complete pack and find it was just a waste of a prize.
Waste of a prize? WASTE OF A PRIZE? It's a PRIZE, they didn't have to get anything. A golden potato could have just been an achievement, or a little gold icon by the player's name. But no, it was EVERY GAME VALVE EVER RELEASED. Any gamer that has the outright gall to complain about receiving a pile of free games (regardless of if they already had them) has just lost all credibility. They should just give them to their friends if that pile of FREE GAMES is making them lose sleep at night at how unfair and greedy Valve is.

Took more then a day after release untill we got the giftcopies of the games we owned, meaning dedicated fans got nothing at all other than the golden potato when they said "Anyone accomplishing this feat by the time Portal 2 launches will receive a very special, non-hat-based reward." while others who didn't have any valve game got all for free. But now we have the extra copies and I'm happy again but I'm guessing some people may still be pissed

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
GGZeta said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

I never said i wouldn't say its a waste for myself, i don't have every steam game i was merley reffering to those that might think its a waste of a prize heck i want the prize since it makes collecting the series much easier.

But also note that some people may just find dismay when realising they have all those games and getting the collection might simply be useless to them and may have wanted something different, i'm just giving that a thought.