Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Covarr said:
Sean Strife said:
For those of you complaining about getting the PS3 version to get the PC version for free if you plan on getting the PC version anyways... you could always, you know, buy the PS3 version, unlock the PC version for free, and then just take the PS3 copy down to GameStop or whatever and trade it in.

Herp derp.
I doubt it. They're using account linking, not vouchers, so I suspect that it'll be a similar situation to what they already have on Steam, where only one copy can be running at once per account.
Then wouldn't they have to make it so you have to activate the game to play it on the PS3?

DRM on a console? That would be...

...horrible...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Covarr said:
Sean Strife said:
For those of you complaining about getting the PS3 version to get the PC version for free if you plan on getting the PC version anyways... you could always, you know, buy the PS3 version, unlock the PC version for free, and then just take the PS3 copy down to GameStop or whatever and trade it in.

Herp derp.
I doubt it. They're using account linking, not vouchers, so I suspect that it'll be a similar situation to what they already have on Steam, where only one copy can be running at once per account.
Then wouldn't they have to make it so you have to activate the game to play it on the PS3?

DRM on a console? That would be...

...horrible...
Probably only if you have the PC version unlocked. Additionally, I suspect that they will also include offline mode, as Steam already does. Valve has proven to be pretty good at non-intrusive DRM, and I'm sure they'll get this right. I also suspect, though, that people won't just be able to resell their copies. I'm sure Valve has thought of this and put some form of safeguard in place.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Valve are pretty much stamping on microsoft's face for being so uptight about their rules for XBL. Its a pity that its the 360 gamers who lose out for both sides acting like pricks.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Yea don't see why it matters that PC users wont get a free copy for PS3 seeing as any PC gamer who knows their stuff wont bother playing a game like Portal on PS3. Valve gets two things: An improved console fan base and then on top of that more Steam users from the people who are enticed to try out Steam when they didn't use it before.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
And so it begins. As I sit here with my xbox, enjoying my games, the controller, and the live featurset, the grim reminder that valve has changed the game, comes full circle. Microsoft had best get it's shit together, windows live/xbox live is nice, but it ain't no damn steam. Cross platform and cloud rights for games across multiple platforms for a single purchase... The day is coming where you buy a game on steam, and own it for PC/Mac/PS3-4. Once sony has gotten a taste of the steam power, theres no going back. I hope your paying attention microsoft... I hate the ps controller.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
The Hive Mind said:
Valve are pretty much stamping on microsoft's face for being so uptight about their rules for XBL. Its a pity that its the 360 gamers who lose out for both sides acting like pricks.
I'd go so far as to call myself an xbox fan, but this is totally microsofts fault. They desired total control over content to xbox users, forgoing web browsing to turn facebook and last fm into "premium content". Thier network and update rules stagnate development, patches and bonus content. From a user aspect Live is great but from a developer->user aspect it sucks on several regards.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Dexiro said:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.
It's condensating for the poor Orange Box port,and the lack of L4D,that's why PS3 is getting special treatment,and I'm so happy about it =)

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
This reminds me of when Bill Gates donated a ton of grant money to a bunch of prestigious American colleges, all except Harvard, which he spited because he got kicked out of. Free updates and Microsoft don't go well together, so I guess that's just the way it is.