Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
Really? Hmm, my three to six friends have whole conversations on public chat whilst casually picking people off.

"Yeah my course is, wait duck a sec... (KILL) going well Simon. You?"
"(50 CAL SHOT) It's good. Too many projects (50 CAL SHOT, KILL) at once..."

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
2. I'm just plain stunned by the amount of "they make fun of my accent" that I'm seeing here. British accents are hot, people.
So you're like that chick in A Fish Called Wanda, only instead of Russian it's English. Niiiice!

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
Maybe because 98% of thr Americans ive ever played with are seemingly 13yo little kids who cant just play the game but instead get thre knickers in a twist everytime they die or something like that and why devil would i want to talk to them kinda people lol?

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I can't recognize the things the guy from Valve talks about. I'm Danish myself, but I play almost all my multi player on a selection of UK TF2 servers and all my L4D is played with brits.

While I have some problems with some of the more pronounced accents due to static and so forth I'd say that in my experience UK people are a blast to play with. There is a lot of ingame info going around but there is also room for appropriate banter. And on some occasions you can't shut them up even if you try. :)

I will say this though: we have at times had to stop and take a break in L4D due to some one having to go refill the tea cup (or in one case clean the desk of spilled tea.) Also, beer will be drunk.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Textbook Bobcat said:
If you wish to amend our conservatism, I'd recommend amending the piggishness of the American XBL player base.

Rather than get into a moronic conversation regarding "History according to Hollywood", stereotypes older than the civilised world and other baseless conjecture.

Until then, I will take the high road and remain silent.

P.S. L4D is nothing more than GoW, Halo, Other shooter Horde mode sold as a complete game to idiots.
If you think that then you clearly haven't played it properly. It's so much more than any 'Horde' mode which is basically a jumped up version of tower defence.

The differences are numerous and make poignant changes to gameplay over these standard 'Horde' modes. In GOW2, Halo 3 ODST etc you merely play a single player game 'together'. In Left 4 Dead, team work is absolutely essential, you can't have one person show boating or dragging. You quickly learn that this isn't just a group of single players, it's a unit.

There's also far more variation; you aren't limited to areas, you play through entire levels and your progress through them is greatly altered by how you play. If you die in Horde mode at worst you have to replay that round, and there's little accomplishment. If you fail in Left 4 Dead it's a real disappointment to the team, you want to make it through for the experience, not for a bunch of arbitrary 'Gamerpoints' through 'Achievements'.

The AI in Left 4 Dead is actually there behind the scenes. Rather than just having wave after wave with increasing difficulty the AI Director is used to tailor your experience according to your style and performance. The main horde works as a complicated system, each unit has a simple objective but as a group their behaviour becomes complex. Then with the Special Infected and Tanks it becomes so much more interesting. The Special Infected will work together to take you down, in other games the enemies are barely aware of each other, if at all.

Anyway, if you can't see the differences then it's your loss.

EDIT: Also, in which of these 'Horde' modes do you get to actually play as the Horde? Versus mode in Left 4 Dead is astounding and thoroughly rewarding. The fact that thousands of people play through the same 4 maps to this day shows how powerful it is, how many people would ever play these 'Horde' modes as much as people play Left 4 Dead?

EmoDan

Nov 11, 2009
well I'm British and i never shut up when i play online just ask the poor players of cabal online who had to put up with me on the forum and ingame for 2years lol

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I think it's mostly that we don't have much to say in Left 4 Dead. If you're a seasoned player you don't really need to communicate as you all know how to play and what to do. You stay aware of your team and watch for those who are smoked, pounced, boomered or incapacitated. You share medpacks between you and make sure you all get a decent go with the molos and pipes.

The only time you need to communicate is rare, like if you're all boomered and cn't see that someone's been picked off but it's rare. Also you sometimes discuss where you'll base yourselves for the finale and you can do that in text chat. I really can't see what is wrong with this.

In Realism mode as you won't be able to see your companions at all times it will be much more difficult. It probably will require speaking which is fine. We can all use voice chat as long as it doesn't descend into pathetic insults or arguments.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Well thank The Light that I studied the North American accent. I'm indistinguishable.

But then again people usually never talk back at me when I speak (and no I'm not among the innumerable hordes of girly-voiced brats).

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Dyp100 said:
Maybe I'll start talking when people aren't dicks to me so much...Also, maybe they lower the price of mics so I can actually TALK to people, my dysraxia gives my heavy hands and I'm breaking mics like 2 days after I get them.

I'll probably be avoiding the realism mode on whatever I buy it on, then, thanks for ruining a game mode by forcing you to talk.
The exact same with me even the dyspraxia but I keep losing my micro phone instead of breaking it. Every time I come across anyone on psn using mics they are always jerks or stupid kids that are prone to cursing. I'll be damned if I ever buy a game that makes you have to talk to them. >_<

MoNkEyMaFiA

Nov 11, 2009
Play dedicated severs so our Teamspeak sever you can log on has rooms that you can go in and ramble on if your that way inclined.
We get ingame chat from your own side and it good fun.
General'y people behave far more on TS and dedicated sever games.
They know we will kicked or Perm'band them if the step out of line.
The sever rules scroll on a small ticker tape display when you first log on so
most people see if they want to keep playing they have to respect others.

You find if you run a good sever you attract the a good group of gamers anyway
and most of the hotheads will behave because they know if they don't its kick
or Perm' Ban that unlike Peer to Peer means you NEVER come back.

Anothe reason I like FULL control over a sever.

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
UberMore said:
Nhilus said:
I'm a Brit and I think this is going on a pure ratio, from my experiences me and my mates and pretty much all Brits I have met on games focus on whats happening with the occasional shouts of "behind you" or "Cover me whilst I help out [player name]" but nearly all the Americans I have played online with have either decided that because I sound British thats a reason to ridicule me or haven't shut up long enough for me to get a word in edge ways.
Also this, this is the reason we Brits don't talk.
And by the sounds of it, I'm guessing me and Nhilus've probably played in the same server a thousand times and never realised it.
more than likely.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
mobsterlobster said:
NeuroShock said:
I almost never make fun of a Brit on L4D when I end up in a group with one. The only time I did, he actually started it, and the rest of the match was us telling him that he should be doing better because they had experience with running zombies in 28 Days Later. Oh, and all four of us thought it was hilarious, so there was no offense.
That 28 Days Later joke is actually original and relevent, so no British person would be offended by that. I'd happily join in the banter too.

Ashbax said:
Every brit I see gets shouted down in matches for his accent.

Luckily, im irish. Seriously, No country hates the irish at all. We are welcomed and loved everywhere :p if the americans hear an irish person talk in a match they cheer their fucking heads off.
I once got mistaken for Irish when I was talking to an American girl I met in Manchester. I'm from Bolton so I have a Lancashire accent, which to me sounds nothing like Irish and I'm sure you'll agree, but maybe I can pretend I'm Irish and I'll be able to talk without being insulted. It doesn't even have to be a convincing accent, I could say I'm from Craggy Island or something. They won't know what Craggy Island is.
Aw, dude, Father ted is FOR THE FECKING WIN!

But, er, craggy island doesnt exist, I hope your aware.

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
Ashbax said:
mobsterlobster said:
NeuroShock said:
I almost never make fun of a Brit on L4D when I end up in a group with one. The only time I did, he actually started it, and the rest of the match was us telling him that he should be doing better because they had experience with running zombies in 28 Days Later. Oh, and all four of us thought it was hilarious, so there was no offense.
That 28 Days Later joke is actually original and relevent, so no British person would be offended by that. I'd happily join in the banter too.

Ashbax said:
Every brit I see gets shouted down in matches for his accent.

Luckily, im irish. Seriously, No country hates the irish at all. We are welcomed and loved everywhere :p if the americans hear an irish person talk in a match they cheer their fucking heads off.
I once got mistaken for Irish when I was talking to an American girl I met in Manchester. I'm from Bolton so I have a Lancashire accent, which to me sounds nothing like Irish and I'm sure you'll agree, but maybe I can pretend I'm Irish and I'll be able to talk without being insulted. It doesn't even have to be a convincing accent, I could say I'm from Craggy Island or something. They won't know what Craggy Island is.
Aw, dude, Father ted is FOR THE FECKING WIN!

But, er, craggy island doesnt exist, I hope your aware.
Haha yeah I'm aware. I also know that it's filmed on the mainland. My auntie's been to the house.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Therumancer said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Therumancer said:
I think it's best you edit that posted before people come to rip you a new one.

Your sickeningly smug, misguided, and often over-the-top posts are begining to wear on me and may others.
Welcome to the world of free speech, and yes I do promote some rather unpopular viewpoints, and I do so fully within the guidelines of the site. I have backed down every single time a "Red Guard" has questioned me. Sure, I could probably go to some forums where my views would be more... represented. However most such forums would not generally be gaming oriented, have content (like this site does) that I am interested in, etc...

Yes I *DO* expect I ruffle some feathers as the fandom community tends to be very leftist and politically correct, and I generally am not (despite having some left wing viewpoints myself). But to some extent I feel you need to have your feathers ruffled, and I sort of hope with time things will start to balance out.

As far as what I said in my post above, like many posts, I expect a lot of people here to disagree with it. I even say so myself in a lot of things I write. But that doesn't mean I am wrong, or am going to censor myself, because some people don't like it (OMG! Someone has a differant point of view!). Geez, if we were to apply that in reverse just think about how many posts would have to be edited. Or worse yet, if every post on the site had to be 100% politically or socially neutral (or non-politically). Just imagine how many posts would have to be edited for social liberalism .

However, I re-read my post just to be polite, figuring that maybe I mis-stated something. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it appears I pretty much said what I intended to. Let me summarize:

Many Posters: "Well the brits don't talk because Americans are a bunch of misinformed idiots who blather nonsense".

Me: "Well I think you've got that wrong since the brits are pretty misinformed and idiotic online as well".

That's it in brief. What am I suppose to say? Anti-Americanism is hip (especially for Americans) but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I've dealt with Brits online and as far as where I'm sitting it seems pretty accurate. My WoW-playing has been nothing if not multi-national, though we generally stay away from politics because once you start argueing about who is ignorant and who isn't it goes nowhere and just upsets everyone.

I happen to have many criticisms of America, but in general when I see people bashing my country one way or another, I snap right back, especially seeing as I feel that in the final equasion we're the best country in the world. OMG I know... I know... it's horrible, an American with national pride who generally supports what his country does. Shocking I know for people who when they hear "America Sux" expect a chorus of agreement, including from left wingers within the US.

... and yeah, the "we saved you during World War II" thing usually jumps into it when Britan starts screaming about how wonderful it is compared to America, and all the things it's done.

Truthfully that's a bit more politic than talking about the era of British nationalism and colonialism, where Britan decided to do a lot of the things America is accused of except for real, went on a multi-fronted war of conquest "for the good of all these savages", overextended itself, and wound up mor or less collapsing. For example, one of the reasons why South Africa seems like it's such a bloody mess was because of British Colonialism (even though those colonies became independant). Sure, we've made a big mess of things trying to fix things (putting Mandela in charge who was probably worse than the racist pro-white goverment that was there to begin with in absolute terms) but in general that's us playing clean up.

Then you've of course got the fact that nations like China, India, The Middle East, etc.. seem to have issues with seeing "The West" as seperate nations to an extent. It's not so much that they see everyone as Americans, but that they see Americans as simply the continuation of the British Empire that was all up in their face previously. Tomorrow if Australia or Britan became the dominant world power, I doubt much would change in their relations despite what people might think. It's sort of like when a Chinese guy calls another Chinese a "twinkie" (Yellow on the outside, white inside), they are being anti-white, not nessicarly anti-any nation because one thing people seem to not get is that not everyone in the world views us as seperatly as we are... and a lot of this goes back to things from WELL before the US even existed, or was anything more than a joke on a global scale.

Fine, people disagree with me, but honestly there is validity to my viewpoints whether anyone wants to admit it or not. To me at least pointing out to an Anti-American brit that we saved them during two world wars is a heck of a lot nicer and less offensive (despite what they might think) then say starting an arguement about how much more aggressive the British Empire was than America ever was, stuff like the Apartheid, and how much cr@p we're currently
dealing with that's rooted in origins well before our country ever existed.

What's more I'm one of those people who feels that it would be wrong for us to return to isolationism (for a lot of reasons), but on certain levels sort of wishes we'd do it. In the end the world needs the "World Police" and someone is eventually going to have to step in. Find someone else to be "Not America" and foot the bill. It's one thing to support it, it's another to walk point.... and in the end that's the root of a lot of the cr@p we get. It's easy to criticize when your not doing the job.
You are the main cause of anti-americanism, not "British arrogance" or whatever. Yes, it's a one sided attack the U.S. fest, Americans never insult the French, British, Europeans in general, Canadians, Mexicans, or Chinese. What a mad (oh yikes, I said it in the British way, does that make me immoral? some Americans would think so) idea that is. Americans have never provoked anyone, it's not their fault for being superior to you. You're just jealous that they own you and everything you've ever worked for and loved.

As for it being "popular" to attack the U.S., it's also very popular for Americans to attack Mexicans and the French, as well as Canadians and the British. You would probably have done the same thing if I hadn't said this sentence. Although maybe you'll still find some ridiculous justification for you're attacks on these countries, and then call anyone who hits back some a mindlessly anti-American child with an inferiority complex because they're jealous that the U.S. "still pretty much controls the world" or whatever. If anyone questions U.S. authority they are evil and anti-American, right?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
You are the main cause of anti-americanism, not "British arrogance" or whatever. Yes, it's a one sided attack the U.S. fest, Americans never insult the French, British, Europeans in general, Canadians, Mexicans, or Chinese. What a mad (oh yikes, I said it in the British way, does that make me immoral? some Americans would think so) idea that is. Americans have never provoked anyone, it's not their fault for being superior to you. You're just jealous that they own you and everything you've ever worked for and loved.

As for it being "popular" to attack the U.S., it's also very popular for Americans to attack Mexicans and the French, as well as Canadians and the British. You would probably have done the same thing if I hadn't said this sentence. Although maybe you'll still find some ridiculous justification for you're attacks on these countries, and then call anyone who hits back some a mindlessly anti-American child with an inferiority complex because they're jealous that the U.S. "still pretty much controls the world" or whatever. If anyone questions U.S. authority they are evil and anti-American, right?[/quote]

In general the differance is that other nations insult the US for doing it's job as the world police. The US winds up insulting other countries due to things like the "Oil For Food" scandal that France was involved in.

The bottom line is that the rest of the world treats the US as sort of a gofer, and then gets all upset whenever we do anything for our own benefit.

When it comes to Mexico in paticular, a lot of our problems have to do with border control and illegal Mexicans entering into the country and causing problems. There is a lot more to it than just issues over illegal workers. For example years ago on TV they showed that there was a tunnel someone built under the border that Mexicans were using to enter the country to sell drugs, committ crimes (burglery, etc...), and other things as well as the whole worker issue. It was almost common knowlege over there and the Mexican Goverment didn't really care.

So yes, we DO knock Mexico and The French quite a bit, but we have reasons to. It's just the rest of the world does not like it when the US sticks up for itself or decides to act like a global super power.

Truthfully when Vicente Fox apparently said "Mexico does not end at it's borders" I think that kind of summarized the problems between the US and Mexico. Basically Mexico's attitude is that being relatively poor it has the right to exploit their richer neighbor.

Such justifications are not "ridiculous" that's simply the way things are. Most of the world DOES act like a group of ill tempered children with an inferiority complex, and they throw Tantrums when they are called on it.

-

When it comes to China in paticular, I don't see the issue of their ownership of American real estate as being a big issue unless we decide to let it be one. It's really no differant than the massive "Japanacorp" invasion back in the 1980s. Back then people screamed that The Japanese were going to wind up owning everything and wind up conquering the country economically, right now people are saying the same thing about China. Basically they are in our back yard and if their ownership becomes an issue we'll just illegally reclaim the property. They know this, we know it, in general the ownership means very little as things keep operating as business as usual. I'm not paranoid about this paticular aspect of things because we've already been here.

My issues with China are more along the lines of their military build up, where they are developing the technology to project their population into other countries, while at the same time talking about racial and cultural destiny, and ratting their sabres (even if you really have to look to find transcripts of some of these speeches). At the same time they are closing off information from the rest of the world so they can stir up fanaticism relatively undisturbed.

Right now people claim China is not a threat, but with their naval build up this is rapidly changing. Especially seeing as they demonstrated the abillity of their "Yuan" class Submarine to tag an American carrier. What this means is that they have what could be an effective escort if they were to say start filling up transports to invade other nations. Really, very little of their build up in recent years has been nessicary since they face few threats, or even remotely defensive in nature.

Economically, China is getting a lot of it's money by engaging in what amounts to immoral behavior. Things like patent violations are a big deal when it comes to China. Other nations put billions of dollars into R&D (the US in paticular) and then China simply analyzes the product and sells a knockoff for a much lower price. International patent law being a tricky thing when certain nations choose not to abide by it.

To a lot of the world, they support China because in the short term The Chinese are friends and provide cheap goods that they could not have afforded otherwise. What they do with this money (military expansion) not mattering to them because they are getting a benefit right now. Also Anti-Americanism leads to a lot of nations screaming at America because they woulkdn't want to pay our prices if this was to stop, and totlly disregard what we might have spent.

The US is not totally alone on this issue, and there are a lot of reasons why China has been called a "robber economy". Still we are arguably the biggest victim.

Again, given the amount of development done by Americans, we have a good reason for being upset about all of this. However since we're still relatively wealthy, a good portion of the world views us as being bad guys and thinks that it's okay to rob from the successful guys.

In general other world powers have been just as unpopular during phases where they were dominant. The information age just means we have to listen to it more. Also unlike other dominant powers, instead of simply conquering, we're using our power to act as the global police force. Simply put everyone hates us when we intervene on them, but when they have a problem we're the first people they call. Just like cops on a "street" level.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Spatzist said:
Hybridwolf said:
Because we get asked irrating questions, or are repeatedly told "we saved your arse in world war 1/2"

Not funny.
Reading that gave me a sudden thought... According to Wikipedia, over 416,000 U.S. military personnel died in World War II. And this is how their sacrifice is remembered. "Saving Britain's ass"... They may be insulting the British, but even other Americans have every right to be pissed at moron comments like that.
They did make a sacrifice. And yes, Americans should respect that. But telling it to the people who were sat on their own against mainland europe while America said "not our problem" until it was dragged into the war very late on, all the time civilians dying in raids and continual bombing runs from German planes, is probably not the most appropriate person to tell it to.