Valve Hopes to Bring Steamworks to Xbox Live

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
This kind of issues is the reason why I didn't get myself a console and continued to be a happy gamer in PCland.

I'd really love to get myself one of those, but whichever I'll pick I will miss out on something - if I choose Xbox 360 I get better games, but because of MS stance I won't get the goodies that come with Steamworks, and I'd have to pay for the account to unleash it's full potential, which is just ridiculous in these days; if I choose PS3, I get a free PSN that is not currently as good as Live, but has lots of future potential, and Sony allows Steamworks, however the big exclusive titles here are much weaker (Indiana Jones ripoff, Gears Of Wars with space nazis, unaccessible to people that don't know it's backstory Metal Gears Solid 4), and I just hate it's pad.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
The hell, I don't want to have to sign in twice to play a god damn game. Maybe pretty soon we'll have ten layers of log ins, and if any one of those 10 decide they don't want to work, we're shit out of luck to play games needed to sign in past that point.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Call me when Counter-Strike: Extreme Gore Edition goes into production.

Oh right, that's Team Fortress 2. Nevermind.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
castlewise said:
Ok, I love valve and all, but isn't it a little hypocritical that they want to be able to use their proprietary service to deliver goods within another companies proprietary service (steamworks in xbl) but they wont let other companies do the same thing in steam (origin in steam).
They do let other companies do it. Which is why you can buy games that require Games for Windows Live through Steam, for instance.

We don't know the full story of why certain EA games were pulled from Steam. Valve has been mostly quiet, except to say they hoped EA would return one day, while EA tried to make it sound like Valve was being unreasonable.

However, since Valve does allow other companies to do this, we can only assume that the case with Origin is not how EA is making it out to be, and there's more going on.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
God I hope not. Part of the reason I love console gaming is to get away from the crap pile PC gaming has become with Steamworks.

Feb 13, 2008
Pingieking said:
CleverNickname said:
on a not entirely related note: there has never been a flattering picture of Gabe Newell, has there?
Some people are just not photogenic, no matter what the situation is. Sadly, Gabe seems to be one of them.

This isn't a bad one, but no...Gabe's a doer rather than a looker.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
psicat said:
God I hope not. Part of the reason I love console gaming is to get away from the crap pile PC gaming has become with Steamworks.
How is Steamworks any different from PSN or XBL? Aside from awesome sales anyway.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
""Hopefully that will help Microsoft see that's a good strategy for making customers happy, that the barbarians won't tear down the walls of Xbox and turn it into some chaotic wasteland," he said."

Amen to that, Gabe.
And please, loose a little weight before we get to carry your 1 ton coffin to a much too early grave... :\

I mean, my BMI is 18.1, but still.... shed some pounds, man :(

S'moorejunk

Aug 22, 2011
I hope to play TF2 with everyone. If Steamworks on the Xbox ever happens, it should coincide with a console re-release with the updates.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ok Andy...I'm down with the words but really...

"relax a little and get comfortable first.", "down with the idea", "Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it.", "We'd love to see those relaxed.", "Microsoft to unclench a bit ", "tear down the walls of Xbox"

...Am I the only one seeing this??
I think you just have an extremely dirty mind.
Even though, I laughed my arse off.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
S said:
I hope to play TF2 with everyone. If Steamworks on the Xbox ever happens, it should coincide with a console re-release with the updates.
for as much as one may want, i dont know if tf2 would run on a console in its current state and still give some decent frames

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009

"relax a little and get comfortable first.", "down with the idea", "Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it.", "We'd love to see those relaxed.", "Microsoft to unclench a bit ", "tear down the walls of Xbox"

Hehe, buttsex.

Anyway, I'm not that fussed. Valve games is what I have my PC for, and I've never really felt I needed Steam on my Xbox.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
HavoK 09 said:
S said:
for as much as one may want, i dont know if tf2 would run on a console in its current state and still give some decent frames
and TF2 is on the 10GB mark now, 9.something.

And I don't think Xbox playing with PC players in TF2 would work tbh...you reach much faster with mouse and keyboard combo in that game. I've tried with gamepad, just horrible.

OT: It would be cool if they got steam on the xbox...and had same offer as with Portal 2 on PS3, buy console version and get PC version for free on steam :p

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
LTK_70 said:
How long until Valve puts them both out of business with its own console? Four, five years tops.
That's not the craziest idea I've ever heard, not by a long shot.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011

i speedread it.
i have the superpower of a dirty mind.
but it would seem that Gabe wants to assfuck XBL.
this is going to go badly...
also you forgot:
"more open approach" and "make customers happy"
OT: but does this mean i can get my steam games on my xbox.
because i want to play my old Fallout 3 GOTY saves.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
(Warning, bad story telling below)

As the peasants of Xboxia begged for TF2 updates, all the evil Lord Microsoft ever told them...

You shall never recieve such wealth, get back to work!

Then Valve spoke out...

"All these people, all they do is praise and love Xboxia each and every day, defending it with everything they have. You deny the very people that made your land a success! You deny them what they want, no, they need. Updates for Team Fortress 2!"

This however, only enraged Lord Microsoft even more, he sent his most loyal guards to find and kill whoever spoke out against the kingdom. Although Valve however had fled from the kingdom, taking whoever he could find that stood against Microsoft with him, they formed a rebellion, the villagers of Xboxia had hope!

Now we see where this tale of bravery will go.