Valve: If Steam Sales Didn't Work We Wouldn't Run Them

Jan 9, 2011
Anyone who honestly thinks that Steam sales - or similar deals/promotions - have a negative effect on any level, need to read this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia].

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
WHY ARE THEY STILL SLAPFIGHTING WITH EA

Seriously, aren't they capable of letting this go? Holtman. Stop. The only way this will end is with a lot of disappointment on the part of your customers as we watch you sling insults. I was hoping they would just respond to the first one and then let it go, but they're continuing this back-and-forth. I get it, you don't like them and they're calling you out. I don't really like them either. In fact, I hate them and never buy from them except second-hand.

With every article that continues this dumb chest-thumping session, my distaste for Valve grows (my opinion of EA can't go any lower, so that stays the same). I know it's just one or two guys instead of every single employee or even the CEO, but that's enough. Reel this guy back, don't let him say any more. I don't care if it's true or not, I don't care how much market research went into it. It's pathetic.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
This is hilarious how does promoting games that haven't seen sales for a while bad?

EA propaganda? Could they get any more evil lol.

I would probably never buy Max Payne 3 for myself at full price but I'll get it when it's so cheap. Also I bought it for my friend for his birthday back when it was released so they still got a full price sale out of me.

I even bought Alan Wake even though I already own the base game on xbox. It was like 7 quid with the dlc's which I don't have.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Ed130 said:
Really?

You'd think Amazon would check something like that.
I KNOW, RIGHT?!

Seriously, that is exactly what I said when I found this out. It works, trust me. The ironic part is that the actual gamedownload itself goes through Steam.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Rednog said:
When you throw up something like Max Payne 3 or any new game the question that no one has data on is whether or not people are realizing that hey X game is released near the steam winter/summer sale, if I wait like 2-3 weeks I will save at least 33-50%.
Most people who buy a game that close to release are not going to be bothered waiting a few weeks in anticipation of a sale, particularly given how new it is.

That is a huge drop off in price for such a little time period. And I really think that does cheapen the product because it really just tells you that hey that product really wasn't worth the initial asking price if they are willing to knock off the price this fast.
Actually, in the case of Max Payne 3 at least, I'd say it tells me that sales weren't what Rockstar was hoping for so they wanted to stir up a bit more interest. According to vgchartz, it's only sold 1.87 million as of July 7th across all platforms. That's probably not even enough to break even considering it's a big budget Rockstar release (not GTA by any means, but it would have still been expensive in development costs alone) and we're creeping up on a month after release. Most games make the majority of their sales in the first 3 months, with the first month obviously being the biggest in terms of revenue.

A sale this soon doesn't necessarily mean that the game wasn't worth full price. But it does mean that Rockstar dumped a ton of money into it and they're desperate to get as much back as they can. If Valve's data is right and the sales increase dramatically during a sale and remain steady after then Rockstar can only gain from this.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
PrototypeC said:
With every article that continues this dumb chest-thumping session, my distaste for Valve grows (my opinion of EA can't go any lower, so that stays the same). I know it's just one or two guys instead of every single employee or even the CEO, but that's enough. Reel this guy back, don't let him say any more. I don't care if it's true or not, I don't care how much market research went into it. It's pathetic.
I don't see it as chest thumping at all. It's literally EA trying to justify not running sales and not only getting customers to go along with it, but convincing them to actually like it. Valve on the other hand is just coming out and basically saying, "yeah, we know what the other guys said, but we've got but loads of data which shows the opposite to be true."

Why shouldn't they point out when EA are being a bunch of lying assholes? Particularly when they have evidence proving that they're wrong. I mean, when you get right down to it, Valve has spent years shaking up the traditional gaming business model and experimenting with new pricing structures, marketing techniques, etc. left and right to find out what actually, unequivocally works. That information is valuable, not just to Valve or to consumers, but to the entire industry. If they can change the mindset of the larger publishers by proving that what they do is making them less money then everyone wins.

How anyone could simply dismiss that fact as nothing more than a pissing match is beyond me. I want Valve to speak out when the traditional business models don't work, particularly when the traditional models have been seeing developers shuttered and publishers racking up huge financial losses yet continuing to stick with doing more of the same.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Matt King said:
dragongit said:
In short.

Bottom line, EA is greedy as sin,
well they are a business what the fuck do you expect
As much as any company has a right/need to earn money, there is a right way, and a wrong way to go about it. Especially as the wrong way drives customers away, or if the wrong way basically flies against factual improved results in money earning.

EA has no idea what it's doing, their bloated business model will severely cripple their performance in the future. Did you read that they need to sell 5 MILLION copies of Dead Space 3 to break even with their development costs? That's one heck of a sales goal. Especially as it needs to break the 5 million copies sold before it even makes a profit.

This kind of business model, combined with their stubbornness when it comes to sales, and their tenacity to nickle and dime their customers. It's just not good business.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Ah yes I remember the Portal for free offer 2 years ago, it made me create a steam account despite being mainly a console gamer at the time. 91 games later Valve has seen alot of my money, while EA in the same time period has only seen a share of $2.99 from me for the original Syndicate game. So I think Steam seem to do Valve and any publishers who participates alot of good financially.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
dragongit said:
Though I have to probably add against Valve in at least the obsessive compuslive consumers... hats. They love to make hats. And sell them for rediculous prices. Other then that, I love Steam and Valve.
If you could design silly virtual hats and people would continue to pay thousands for them every day, would you continue to make silly virtual hats? I think we know almost everybody's answer.

It's genius god damnit, they have the vitual hat market NAILED.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
SL33TBL1ND said:
dragongit said:
In short.

EA likes money, and thinks thing should be expensive so they get all the money. If a game is 60 dollars it must be 60 dollars. There is no compromise.

Valve also likes money, but so do developers and publishers. They may get less off these games during sales, but a lot of them are old games that have not had many salse in a long time to begin with. Valve figures out if they put them on sale for a limited time, it encourages people to buy them if on impulse alone, not only generating revenu for Valve but for the developers of these games.
Also, according to their research, a 75% off sale on steam increases sales by around 3000%. So putting things on sale actually makes you more money.
I have to state that figure might be wrong from what I've heard. PROFITS go up around 3000% for some games. They aren't just selling 30x the games, they are making 30x the money they were at the higher price. Depending on the sale, that's a lot more than just 30x sales.

Kerodohi

Jun 28, 2012
I love the Steam sales and don't think they cheapen IP at all. Why?
Because I'm a lot more likely to buy a game I never would have been interested in at full price. Oftentimes I end up really loving those games and will buy more IP at full price from the same developers. Or even just within the same genre.

Case in point: I got the Dungeon Siege pack awhile ago, figuring that even if I didn't really like dungeon crawlers, it was cheap enough to justify the purchase. Turns out that they were extremely enjoyable games and now I've got three or four other games of the same genre, all from different developers at different price points. None of whom would have gotten any of my money if it hadn't been for the sale :)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
?A, just accept it. you are a bunch of greedy, money sucking, selfish, ?goistic A-holes (EA) that cant accept any good business scheme. even when it stares you in the face.
valve knows what its doing and they are pretty much loved for it. are you so blind to see that???

if i woulndt be a ME fan, i would have never bothered to get ME3 and origin. also getting BF3 later on since it is more fun to play then MW3.