Valve reveals first DLC for Left 4 Dead 2, Bill fans get ready!

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
It's a fanfic come true (I shit you not; there are Left 4 Dead fan fics)

Minus the orgies.
I know you're not shitting me.
I can't look at Nick and Ellis the same way anymore since...since...
OH GOD.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
I'm hoping that we'll be able to play as the original 4 in all of the other campaigns as well, or even better: the ablity to mix the two teams together!

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Kwil said:
Echer123 said:
TOGSolid said:
Echer123 said:
Oh Valve, how could anyone not love you.
Easily, there isn't a single game they've made that has been legitimately good.
SNIP

Care to elaborate?
Do not feed the troll.
SNAP

raise you Portal, Counterstrike, the entire Half-Life series, Left 4 Dead/2, Team Fortress 2 and Classic...
BLASMPHEY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
I beg to disagree.

Portal: A slice of gaming perfection. So what if they stole the gameplay concept? Valve provided the script writers, voice actors, play testers, game level designers, in essence the only thing they copied was the 'idea' of a portal gun.

Half Life: The orginial: overated. With you there.
Half Life 2: FPS at it's best. Story is at first glance simple (Gordon kill everything) but think about what you are seeing and suddenly it expands. Does Gordon have free will? Who is G-Man? Was the traitor right in her rational? Is Eli actually evil for helping start the whole thing in the first place and knowing g-man?
And tech demos? Please. They're so much more than that.
Team Fortress 2: Fun without friends as well. I know. I play it without friends. Well balanced, not too serious and fun, simple as that.
Left 4 Dead/2: I agree that it isn't as scary as it could be but it is intense, the music alone racks up my pulse like nobody's business.

So I say that Valve is one of the best game creators out there. And yet if they did produce a crap game I'd be the first to say. I don't do fanboyism. I just do Gabe Newell.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Omega 2521 said:
I'm hoping that we'll be able to play as the original 4 in all of the other campaigns as well, or even better: the ablity to mix the two teams together!
If not, I'm sure someone will have hammered out a third-party mod for it within a week that for the heck of it throws in Chicago Ted and Ellis's friend Keith as well (there is actually a Keith mod out IIRC)

Lemeza

Jun 20, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Kwil said:
Echer123 said:
TOGSolid said:
Echer123 said:
I...what?

I can understand not liking some of their games, but none of them?

Care to elaborate?
Do not feed the troll.
That'd be cool if I was trolling, but the stuff Valve puts out has been crap. The only time they've ever had a decent game under their banner is when they've absorbed an outside team's game into their catalog of stuff.

raise you Portal, Counterstrike, the entire Half-Life series, Left 4 Dead/2, Team Fortress 2 and Classic...
-snip-

Believe it or not, not every gamer is a blind Valve fanboy, and *gasp*, may have a differing opinion!
Portal: as has already been said, so what if they got the idea from somewhere else? That's just like saying that every FPS is a Doom clone because you run around shooting everything.
Half-life: Wow? Repetitive gameplay? It's not like EVERY single FPS, linear rpg and strategy
game isn't repetitive!
And tech demos? Explain.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
ideal zombie build for 8v8
at least 2 spitters for general irritation and prevention of 'camping'
3 jockeys for general distraction purposes and wreak general havok
a boomer or two to add to the mix
toss in a couple hunters...
Wow this sounds so cool, some of the dialogue between the characters should be interesting, the finale should be epic as hell, so awesome

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
So it's essentially Left 4 Dead III?

I mean, they did the same with L4D2, and it got a new tag on it.

It makes me wonder why they didn't stuck it with the new release. It's almost half of the new content, and it's delivered seperately from the game?

Damn you DLC's...

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Wow, interesting how an enitre thread can be ruined by one single troll.

OT: Seems like a nice idea. In my opinion L4D 2 is better in aprox every single way except the characters, the charachters in L4D are way better, mostly because i have got attached to them from machinima and of course playing the game.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Kwil said:
Echer123 said:
TOGSolid said:
Echer123 said:
I...what?

I can understand not liking some of their games, but none of them?

Care to elaborate?
Do not feed the troll.
That'd be cool if I was trolling, but the stuff Valve puts out has been crap. The only time they've ever had a decent game under their banner is when they've absorbed an outside team's game into their catalog of stuff.

Portal: Team absorbed by Valve
Counterstrike: Team Absorbed by Valve
Left 4 Dead: Most overrated game of the year, also, enjoy your full priced expansion pack. Killing Floor makes L4D look like ass. If you think L4D is 'intense' then you must also enjoy watching paint dry. The weapons are throwbacks from counter-strike which has some of the worst gun handling in any game ever, the director AI absolutely fails at keeping the game pacing interesting, and the game's atmosphere is basically anything but scary.
TF2: Was only fun with friends, but damn near anything is fun with friends. Valve has systematically ruined it by injecting grinding bullshit into it.
TFC: Team absorbed by Valve.
Half-Life: Boring and unexciting gameplay. They've always just been tech demos.

Valve's games may be well polished and have some impressive tech in them, but they've never been all that immersive or exciting. The Half-Life series' actual gameplay was crap because the games were just tech demos. The action high points of the games have always fell flat (and no, I'm not some fratboy fag that loves MW2 and Halo, those games are absolutely terrible.), the story has always been fairly meh, the repetitive nature of the gameplay (Gordon, I need yet another door opened for me!) is annoying, and the general lackluster direction has always made these games a bore.

Believe it or not, not every gamer is a blind Valve fanboy, and *gasp*, may have a differing opinion!
Patronising as that may be, you do have a point about the Half-Life games. With that said, they do get the set-pieces right.

And I think their absorption of smaller dev teams is, if anything, a reason to like Valve. Giving good ideas a bigger budget and pointers from more experienced developers can only be a good thing. Am I right?

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
I just want to play as Gordon Freeman or any of the TF2 cast in L4D. I can't imagine how much fun it would be with the gravity gun, minigun, flamethrower, and butterfly knife.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
sartezalb said:
EspirituExterminatus said:
Well that is just a horrible, horrible idea. Chet Faliszek said that the main reason for the new characters in L4D2 was because you were not meant to get attached to the characters. The story is about the world, not just these 4 people. By bringing them back it just ruins it especially as L4D2 is meant to be taking place a loooooooooong way away from the original.
Do not get me wrong. I like the original cast far more than the new ones (Excluding Nick, can we please kill Louis and replace him with Nick?) but this just kind of kicks the canon in the crotch.
Judging from some of the responses here, it might be a little late to worry about "attachment."

Speaking of kicking crotches, that's the main outcome that comes to mind whenever I try to think of Francis and Nick in the same room.
I don't think the outcome of a nuclear war would be as devastating as what would happen if Nick and Francis were put in the same room. O_O

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
burn in hell valve.
I love everything you've made, BUT THIS.
L4D1 is dead because of you guys.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Echer123 said:
Oh Valve, how could anyone not love you?

Between this and the new TF2 War update, Valve is quickly becoming my new favorite developer.
They weren't already?

They are probably the best in the business.

The Shade of Time

Nov 22, 2008
God, I'm getting sick of the whole new game just released and they already have a years worth of DLC lined up just to squeeze money out of us ( and yes I know it will be most likely free on the pc but why make the console players cough out like £9.99?)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Well their better be a good reason for the new survivors meeting the old ones. Valve kept saying they were going to give the new game a stronger plot. If the old survivors pop up for no good reason, then they're ruining that plot. It also seems odd that they're doing all this work for some DLC.

But I do have faith in Valve. They'll probably find a way to fit it into the plot.

CabooseKill400 said:
God, I'm getting sick of the whole new game just released and they already have a years worth of DLC lined up just to squeeze money out of us ( and yes I know it will be most likely free on the pc but why make the console players cough out like £9.99?)
I believe it's because Microsoft loses a substantial amount of money by releasing it for free. Microsoft is still a business, and they want to make money, not lose it. The fact that people get upset over this baffles me.

Honestly as a PC gamer I feel somewhat guilty when Valve just hands me all this free content. I feel like they deserve some money for it.