Valve Reveals SteamOS

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Reveals SteamOS

SteamOS promises to combine "the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen."

The big Steam countdown has hit zero and amazingly, what greeted its hungry audience was not a server crash but SteamOS, a new, Linux-based operating system that will soon be available for "living room machines." Valve claims its new OS offers "significant performance increases in graphics processing," and says it is also working on improving audio performance and input latency.

Valve says "SteamOS machines" will offer a number of new features that have a focus on living room-based gaming. The biggest is probably the ability to stream Windows and Mac games from your standard PC to your SteamOS device, effectively bringing all your games to the big screen. Popular media services offering music, movies and television will also be accessible through the OS, and "Family Sharing" and other options will allow for easy sharing of games and more.

The SteamOS page also spends a good chunk of time talking about it as a "cooperating system," describing it as "a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else."

"With SteamOS, 'openness' means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they've been able to," it states. "Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation."

It's long on vague, jargon-y promises and short on detail, but there's no question that this is a big move. It's also worth pointing out, in case there's any question, that this isn't meant to muscle Windows (or whatever) off your PC, but to power separate, stand-alone "living room machines." In other words, in case there was any question, this all but guarantees that an announcement of a Steam box - the "SteamOS machine," as Valve puts it - will follow soon.

SteamOS is the first of three big announcements coming out of Valve this week - the countdown for the second [http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/] has already started, and will hit zero in just under 48 hours, which means 1 pm EST on Wednesday.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Interesting, I just might do a dual boot with my new PC if this turns out to be half decent.

I certainly know my brother will be begging for this to go on the family computer.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
And there was me saying you'd never get everyone to jump over to Linux. GabeN, you magnificent bastard! D=

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Seeing as I bought a rig specifically for gaming... I may have to set up a dual boot if it turns out well.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The one obstacle I saw in front of Gabe's vision - convincing everyone to use a Linux distro over their Windows installation, may be moving out of the way. There's no better way to handle that than to create their own distro with the "Steam" monicker and promise better graphics power. Now to find that middle market who wants a PC, doesn't want to build/buy their own, and essentially want a box similar to one of their consoles to get their feet wet. I'm excited to see how this all turns out.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Daverson said:
And there was me saying you'd never get everyone to jump over to Linux. GabeN, you magnificent bastard! D=
This is no Linux tough, and by that I mean it's not meant to be a Windows alternative for PCs. It seems to be however a Linux based OS, but if that is what you meant, "everyone" already jumped over to Linux with Android.

Anyway if they deliver on the performance increases I am in.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, in case there was any question, this all but guarantees that an announcement of a Steam box - the "SteamOS machine," as Valve puts it - will follow soon.
That's kinda what I figure is going to happen as well, but who knows. All I know is that the announcement confused me greatly, because those vague, jargon-y promises pretty quickly make my eyes glaze over in boredom.

Also, I can't take credit for this, but "SteamOS" should totally be called "GladOS" instead.

[sub][sub]Hurr hurr, Andy Shandy, I'm in the threads, stealing your jokes![/sub][/sub]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm disappointed that Valve didn't call it GladOS. It was the perfect opportunity!

shrekfan246 said:
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, in case there was any question, this all but guarantees that an announcement of a Steam box - the "SteamOS machine," as Valve puts it - will follow soon.
That's kinda what I figure is going to happen as well, but who knows. All I know is that the announcement confused me greatly, because those vague, jargon-y promises pretty quickly make my eyes glaze over in boredom.

Also, I can't take credit for this, but "SteamOS" should totally be called "GladOS" instead.

[sub][sub]Hurr hurr, Andy Shandy, I'm in the threads, stealing your jokes![/sub][/sub]
Not only do you steal them, you ninja me as well!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
The one obstacle I saw in front of Gabe's vision - convincing everyone to use a Linux distro over their Windows installation, may be moving out of the way. There's no better way to handle that than to create their own distro with the "Steam" monicker and promise better graphics power. Now to find that middle market who wants a PC, doesn't want to build/buy their own, and essentially want a box similar to one of their consoles to get their feet wet. I'm excited to see how this all turns out.
If valve can get a version of linux thats as user friendly and stable as windows 7 then they could take over PC gaming.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
The only thing I have to ask is... why? The console can't really stand alone, considering its Linux library is bare bones to say the least. So, in order to play any games worth their salt, it will require a running a high end gaming PC somewhere else in the house running Windows or MacOS.

Then, on top of that, you'll have to have another piece of gaming hardware sitting in the living room.

At that point, what's the lure? Why strip your PC Of all the other features that you'd want/need just for this OS? Why not just run Steam on said Living Room rig in Big Picture Mode running Windows?

It seems like reinventing the wheel, and unnecessarily. A great idea hampered by the fact that it's relying on a complicated home-network setup to function with everything on Steam's Library. Either that, or you get stuck with the limited Linux-based stuff.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Doesn't seem like something I would use because I would still need to have a Windows machine running elsewhere to stream my Windows games off of.

moseythepirate

Jul 4, 2011
I'm not certain why it is really needed, and I am REALLY unconvinced about the need for a dedicated Steam Box.

But you know what would be crazy?

If by "living room machines" with steam streaming support, they are actually talking about one of the next gen consoles. That would throw everything on its head. In a good way.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Not only do you steal them, you ninja me as well!
I think my avatar sums up my reaction to this turn of events.

Couldn't have gone better if I had planned it ahead of time!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
SteamOS is the first of three big announcements coming out of Valve this week - the countdown for the second [http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/] has already started, and will hit zero in just under 48 hours, which means 1 pm EST on Wednesday.
Who's willing to bet that we'll be waiting for the third announcement for years to come?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
So it enables... chromecast for steam?

I'd be in on that; chromecast was brilliant so being able to seamlessly stream gaming to a television from another room would be a huge step forward.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm a bit underwhelmed that this is meant just for streaming from the PC and for music, videos etc...
It sounds kinda like a Xbone without the games.

But I hope this will work out fine, they might just inspire developers to port to their system and then getting rid of Windows would actually be an option.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm a little concerned with the amount of control Valve would be able to exert. I like Steam, but it's near monopolistic position is worrying. Having a Valve OS would be sure to lock everyone into Steam being the only outlet for purchasing/playing games.

Also, who wants to bet HL3 is going to be a SteamOS exclusive?
This would explain the crazy development time.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
Now to find that middle market who wants a PC, doesn't want to build/buy their own, and essentially want a box similar to one of their consoles to get their feet wet. I'm excited to see how this all turns out.
I am absolutely that middle market haha. My steam library is huge but I mainly have to use a Mac for work, so I can only play a few of the titles. I've been waiting to see what moves Valve makes in this regard before setting out on buying a PC of my own because, as someone who doesn't really have the time to dedicate to staying on top of the research and tech necessary to ensure the best of the best, the task just seems so daunting.

The power of and adaptability of a PC with the combined convenience of Steam and a living room console... that sounds like a dream come true to me. Price be damned.

Off topic... Cap'cha... "$1.29 Hot N Spicy McChicken" This is getting a little silly.