Valve Reveals the Steam Controller

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
Using touchpads instead of analogue seems brilliant, at least on paper. And putting buttons under the grips is smart. It just makes sense now that I've seen it.

But the A/B/X/Y buttons give me pause. In order to get to B and Y, you have to reach across the touchpad, which is something I wouldn't prefer doing. More to the point, X and Y are on the left side, preventing movement while simultaneously using whatever function is bound to those.

Like I said: reserving judgement, but the button layout is curious. I hope it works out for them.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Snotnarok said:
There's no dpad and there's no physical feedback, granted my example below is old but it's the same issue tablets/phones have with games today. No physical sensation of buttons clicking/pressing or stick angles and you're making it very challenging to play.
You clearly didn't read the announcement closely there is this huge section on haptic feedback you know in case you missed it.

As for my opinions on the controller I got to say I'm impressed with valve having the balls to release such a radical controller design. I'm more than a little eager to try it out. I wish the announcement would of had more details, like how long before we can expect to see it in stores, maybe a video of it in use a 360 rotational view of the controller. All of that would of been nice, for now I just hope I get accepted into the beta.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Snotnarok said:
lacktheknack said:
Snotnarok said:
There's no dpad and there's no physical feedback, granted my example below is old but it's the same issue tablets/phones have with games today. No physical sensation of buttons clicking/pressing or stick angles and you're making it very challenging to play.
Nope. "Haptic feedback", right there in the article.

The touchpads push back.

Also, buttons are all over the controller.

Okay great a function 90% of us haven't touched before we can only hope it's awesome, but then there's complications here:
-The thousands of games already on steam will likely not update to meet this functionality.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Read that. Right at the top, it states "All Steam games, past present and future, will support this".

-Devs barely let you edit your controls and you're telling me they're going to go out of their way to allow for this? Maybe for a while but in the end more will have 360/ps3/logitech controllers and that will likely still be the default.

Again, read the above.

It's an interesting idea but it's flawed in that there's already a large standard and most devs don't want to cater to 1 guy on a new system. How many games support that logtitech LCD display on keyboards? How many games support 3D?
I'm interested to try but I'm also very skeptical.
Fair enough.

Just read the source articles before you attempt criticism in the future, k?
I did read the article, I can't however say I or many have tried this feedback so you can't really make a comment on how good it is.
"All games will feature it" No, all games will WORK with it but I have a feeling it will not work with this haptic feedback function and maybe, maybe will just try and emulate how a PS3/360 controller feel by default.

But then the question stands: What's the point if 90% of the games out on this will emulate the feel of a controller that's prexisting? Why use this when those are probably already in your house and could likely work better.

^ Yes this is assumed, totally, but that's pretty much all we got. Again I hope this thing is awesome it's just REALLY worrying when someone kicks down the door and says: New way to play your games.
Eye Toy was an entertaining tech demo you had to pay for
Wii got half assed ports with forced controls
3D was supported with a few games then now most don't bother.

This could infact be the next analog stick jump for console gaming, but I'm the skeptical type, it's neat tech, totally will admit that. But everything I'm saying is assumed ..minus the bits about previous tech yadda yadda.

Let's hope it's awesome then eh?

synobal said:
Snotnarok said:
You clearly didn't read the announcement closely there is this huge section on haptic feedback you know in case you missed it.

As for my opinions on the controller I got to say I'm impressed with valve having the balls to release such a radical controller design. I'm more than a little eager to try it out. I wish the announcement would of had more details, like how long before we can expect to see it in stores, maybe a video of it in use a 360 rotational view of the controller. All of that would of been nice, for now I just hope I get accepted into the beta.
You clearly didn't read my edit because I said I'm aware of it but most haven't played with this haptic tech so we don't know how good it is. There could be input lag, it could feel stupid and at the end of the day the support could be nil and the 'support' they speak of all games having may just be the controller emulating a 360/PS3 pad and that isn't innovating it's just emulating while some take advantage, and if you're willing to buy a controller based on a few games supporting it then good on ya. I'm just being skeptical and if you want to have your hopes up that's fine.

Mar 5, 2011
I was hoping for Source 2 and a game. Aw well. Not sure about how it will feel with trackpads but I'll still buy one.

EDIT: To people saying it will suck, I don't think that Valve would built so much hype for some trashy, awkward, uncanny valley of input devices controller if it didn't suck.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
X and Y couldn't be in a worse place.

I'm not sold at the moment. Will be sticking to KB+M and my 360 pad.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I like the overall look of it, but I have to say, those pads look too large to comfortably move your thumbs around in efficiently. From the dimensions of the thing, it looks like my thumbs (and I have large hands at that) would be at full stretch towards the top of them. Same goes for those Y and B buttons, they kind of look inaccessible without taking your thumbs off the pads.

I have my doubts about it replacing the good ol' keyboard and mouse with current PC gamers, but I can see it helping to bring current console gamers over towards PC/Steambox.

It's interesting, no doubt, and I'll definitely be checking it out, so I'll reserve any further judgement until I have one in my hands.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
eeeyeah...ya might wanna go back to the drawing board with this, Valve. It just looks like they made a clumsy attempt to look cool or revolutionary and instead came off looking silly

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Phrozenflame500 said:
It's hard to see how a controller will feel until you hold it in your hands, I'll reserve judgement until then.
Le gasp! Can it be?

You may very well be the first, and possibly only, person I've seen post a rational, reasoned comment on this reveal so far.

It's been either "greatest thing ever" or "worst thing ever".

Because, you know, to hell with reserving judgement on anything until you actually get to try it.

I mean, it seems so many are up in arms about how "stupid it looks" and how it'll be a worthless piece of shit because it doesn't have "thumbsticks, buttons, or a d-pad". Or, saying it's just dumb because it has touchpads; citing how useless laptop touchpads are.

It's like the internet at large just looked at the picture, completely glossed over the description of the controller and it's features, and jumped to the conclusion that "lol it doesn't look like an Xbone/PS4 controller, therefore it sucks".

Because, you know...to hell trying something different. Remember back in the Nintendo64 days when Nintendo had the audacity to put a thumbstick on our controllers? What the hell were they thinking; ruining a perfectly good controller?! All you need is a d-pad and some buttons. Not some stupid plastic stick poking up in the air. Who would ever use that?

Cowabungaa said:
Snotnarok said:
There's no dpad and there's no physical feedback
Actually, there is, just not in the form of actual buttons. That's what they mean with haptic feedback. And that's some advanced technology right there. Or at least in a consumer product like a gamepad.

I'm interesting to see how this plays. I've done some theoretical work with haptic feedback and it's a very very interesting field of technology.
This is the part that has me most interested. I'm curious what advances Valve's made in haptic feedback.

Well....that and the clickable touchscreen that responds to touch input by popping up a small display of the screen on the main monitor.

'Course, I'm sure it's no where near as advanced as Microsoft's incredible new technology wherein they put rumble motors in the triggers[footnote]What a joke. Seriously? Rumble motors in the triggers has people hyped? Ugh...[/footnote].

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I know its a way to play steam games on your tv. BUT. I really dont think it will be better than a mouse and keyboard. An i also doubt pc gamers will use a controller if they have a choice of a mouse/keyboard as well.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The track pad is...pretty unique to say the least. Haven't seen something that left field since the N64 controller.

Honestly it reminds me of a boombox more than anything. Probably because of the track pads.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ScrabbitRabbit said:

To be fair, if you go into the Steam article, they make it pretty clear that the face buttons are meant to be secondary controls.

The "real" controls are the clickable trackpads, the shoulder buttons, and the buttons on the back of the grip. The design they seem to be going for is that you won't take your thumbs off the pads except in unusual circumstances and/or the game is paused.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
A first glance it looks like a car seat cushion for a small child.

I not sure what to make of it, I mean it looks like it would handle completely different to any controller I've ever used. Though the prospect of being able to play Civ with a controller and have function quite close to mouse and keyboard does have me intrigued. I don't imagine the performance would out do mouse and keyboard for certain games but if it works as they intend it to then it could be a nice middle ground option.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
I know its a way to play steam games on your tv. BUT. I really dont think it will be better than a mouse and keyboard. An i also doubt pc gamers will use a controller if they have a choice of a mouse/keyboard as well.
Most likely not. I doubt Valve's controller, even with it's proposed advances, can match the speed and accuracy of a mouse.

However, that's not the point. Valve's not "abandoning" keyboard and mouse. They're simply trying to bridge the gap a bit between current controllers and k+m setups.

Essentially: providing a more robust and precise input mechanism that still functions in the "comfort spaces" you'd normally use a controller in.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ScrabbitRabbit said:

I concur. It also looks uncomfortable, particularly when compared to my Corsair peripherals.

Will this controller be open to third parties? Because I feel like Corsair, Logitech, Razer, etc could make it nicer. Otherwise I'll stick to mouse and key until the X1 controller comes out to replace the woeful Dpad on the 360 pad so I can use a controller competently for the one thin I use it for.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Agayek said:
Hmm, that is a lot better than I thought. Seems very shooter-focused, though. I'd like to know how it will perform with a game like, say, Sleeping Dogs or Arkham. It seems inferior to our current solutions in that respect.

I suppose I'll wait for some reviews and give it a go if any of my friends get one.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Crazie_Guy said:
Looks like this'll be one of those things you have to try to understand. I hope the feedback works as well as they think it does in replacing physical feedback from a stick.
Because it's not supposed to simulate a stick, but a mouse, tracking location, not direction.

It's not an "I keep nudging the stick 30 degrees upwards, so character please start following that direction", but "I'm moving the cursor 2 centimeters forward, and I expect the screen to follow it instantly".