Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Animyr said:
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect they're making a full sequel, or at least not a conventional episode. I doubt valve spent the last four years sitting on their hands.
Though, with the zealotry of their fanboys, they'd still get away with it if they did spend the last four years sitting on their hands.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Couch Radish said:
Frankly I predict that Valve has been working on Half Life 3 this entire time and never telling us about it.
my thoughts exactly...and If I may offer a (potentially weak but I think it still applies/makes sense) parallel take the soon coming Season 9 of Red Vs Blue thats set to tell the story of or behind project freelancer, and while there is a rather big difference(exactly 1 year(RvB) to wait as apposed to 4 and counting) Rooster Teeth seemingly gave no indicator(that I knew of) that there would be a season 9

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Well, like Blizzard, I'd prefer to wait for something worth playing than get HL3 next week half finished, buggy as hell and too short, with broken multiplayer.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
This is just another case of DNF it's no longer a matter of when it will be released but whether or not I'll give a fuck when it is.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Everybody knows they're just waiting for Portal 2 to release.
I will bet someone that the end of that game will have a release date or at least a trailer for Ep 3. And that Freeman will make a cameo in the game.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So Valve FINALLY remembers the Half-Life series. Glad to know they at least haven't completely forgotten about it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Best case scenario: The Purple Box comes out with Portal 2, adding Half-Life 2: Episode 3, Half-Life 3, Counter-Strike: Source2, and Day of Defeat: Source 2.

Actual scenario: Continued delays until 2012 or 2013.

MajWound

Mar 18, 2009
I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again. If it means we get a super high quality product, I don't care how long it takes. There are other things to do in the meantime. Like play inferior games that get stamped out way too quickly. I'm looking at you, Treyarch.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Come on, guys. Do you think Valve is stupid? They know we all want Half-Life, and they plan on releasing it.

What they don't tell you, though, is that they plan to release it with no advertising or prior announcement on the day that Duke Nukem Forever comes out. It's all part of their plan to explode reality.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Animyr said:
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect they're making a full sequel, or at least not a conventional episode. I doubt valve spent the last four years sitting on their hands.
They doubtlessly didn't, but consider they have been running Steam, and supporting several simultaneous game franchises without skimping on quality or a sudden inflation in their number of staff irregardless of their talent to maintain all their products.

I look at Bioware which has a reputation much like Blizzard or Valve for taking a "when it's ready" approach to game design. Bioware wound up trying to juggle multiple franchises, while developing the most expensive MMORPG game in history. It also greatly expanded it's staff to try and meet those committments it seems, and of course that means all their people aren't of the same quality as their original staff. The end result has been some increasingly sloppy games as they have been trying to get their franchises out in a year or two of development, as opposed to taking the time to make sure things get done right.

Love it or hate it, but mobs just appearing, or jumping off rooftops and such in "Dragon Age 2" not to mention recycling the same enviroments again and again is incredibly lazy game design... and that's before you start argueing about the game mechanics (which is a huge arguement itself). I think the idea is that when "Episode 3" gets here nobody is going to be able to look at it and go "wow, this blows chips they cut all these corners and the mechanics blow chips compared to the previous games, they should have stuck with what worked instead of changing it because it became too difficult".

I'm not a big FPS fan, and haven't really been waiting for this game, but at the moment I'm willing to give Gabe and company more slack.

Besides Critical Miss made it apparent what will happen if we antagonize Gabe, and even if he is brought down by an IGN employee in a heroic act of self sacrifice, that will simply mean Episode 3 will never appear. A sort of "deadman switch" ensuring his survival should he ever decide to become a super villain for real. :)

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is coming, so just chill.

Valve can't take a step without fans calling out questions about when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is going to come out, or be announced, or even if Valve is thinking about it. In a recent interview, Valve marketing and PR chief Doug Lombardi confirmed that the game is certainly on the way.

Talking to AusGamers, Lombardi said: "You will ever see [more Half-Life], yes. We are not done with Gordon Freeman's adventures. I have nothing other than that to tell you today, but hang in there with us."

Half-Life is a first-person shooter series that sprang Valve to massive popularity back in 1998, praised for its use of scripted sequences rather than movie-like cutscenes, and for silent, goateed main character Gordon Freeman that regularly beat up headcrabs with a crowbar. Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES] hit stores in 2004, after a delay in 2003 due to a source code leak. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 expanded on the sequel's story in 2006, while Episode 2 did the same in 2007. Since then, almost 4 years later, there hasn't been any more Half-Life news.

Lombardi didn't necessarily say that Episode 3 is coming, so Valve could be planning to skip it for an entire new release considering the amount of time that has passed. The company is still being tight-lipped, but at least we know that Freeman will return, as if we didn't already. Just keep hanging.

Source: AusGamers [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3037280]

When asked if Half Life episode 3 will be released within the next fiscal year Lombardi replied "It'll be done when it's done."

A disturbance in the Force. It was if millions of gamers cried out and infinitely disappointed.

Seriously this tight lipped nature about Half Life episode 3, smells of Duke Nukem Forever.