Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
fanklok said:
They just said they're planning on continuing Gordon's adventures, so obviously they're making a dating sim where you play as Gordon and try to get the heart of either Alix, Chell, Glados, or Barry.

I C that's probably not what you did there, but it made me laugh anyway.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is coming, so just chill.

Valve can't take a step without fans calling out questions about when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is going to come out, or be announced, or even if Valve is thinking about it. In a recent interview, Valve marketing and PR chief Doug Lombardi confirmed that the game is certainly on the way.

Talking to AusGamers, Lombardi said: "You will ever see [more Half-Life], yes. We are not done with Gordon Freeman's adventures. I have nothing other than that to tell you today, but hang in there with us."

Half-Life is a first-person shooter series that sprang Valve to massive popularity back in 1998, praised for its use of scripted sequences rather than movie-like cutscenes, and for silent, goateed main character Gordon Freeman that regularly beat up headcrabs with a crowbar. Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES] hit stores in 2004, after a delay in 2003 due to a source code leak. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 expanded on the sequel's story in 2006, while Episode 2 did the same in 2007. Since then, almost 4 years later, there hasn't been any more Half-Life news.

Lombardi didn't necessarily say that Episode 3 is coming, so Valve could be planning to skip it for an entire new release considering the amount of time that has passed. The company is still being tight-lipped, but at least we know that Freeman will return, as if we didn't already. Just keep hanging.

Source: AusGamers [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3037280]

Is it too early to cry, "April Fools!"? Seriously, I don't trust any news leading up the 1 April.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I've long since lost interest.

This is basically the equivalent of releasing new DLC for Resident Evil 4. Sure I loved Resident Evil 4, but I've long since moved on from that game and don't feel the need to play a game that now feels dated.

I suppose it is possible I'll eventually buy Episode 3 off Steam though. But probably not until it's on a major sale for $2.50 a couple years after it's released and I'm bored enough to find out what happens next.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Eh. Who cares. Half-Life is a good series, but I think people forget what exactly it is and that it probably isn't as amazing as they remember.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
GeorgW said:
Everybody knows they're just waiting for Portal 2 to release.
I will bet someone that the end of that game will have a release date or at least a trailer for Ep 3. And that Freeman will make a cameo in the game.
I'd be interested to see how you feel now, knowing that is wrong.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
GeorgW said:
I will bet someone that the end of that game will have a release date or at least a trailer for Ep 3. And that Freeman will make a cameo in the game.
Wow, that's old. I've got a new theory. I think they're pretty much done, and are one day just gonna release it on Steam without any previous announcement or marketing.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
GeorgW said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
GeorgW said:
Wow, that's old. I've got a new theory. I think they're pretty much done, and are one day just gonna release it on Steam without any previous announcement or marketing.
Well, it's not like the game would need hyping up (the community has been doing that for years) and you wouldn't need to advertise it, because the fans of that series are so die-hard they would buy anything with the name Half-Life in it, lol. But I really can't see them not doing anything for it. They'll at least slap up a logo and put on a "Coming Soon" bit.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
GeorgW said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
GeorgW said:
Well, it's not like the game would need hyping up (the community has been doing that for years) and you wouldn't need to advertise it, because the fans of that series are so die-hard they would buy anything with the name Half-Life in it, lol. But I really can't see them not doing anything for it. They'll at least slap up a logo and put on a "Coming Soon" bit.
But that's the point. Maybe they can do some ads later on, but it'd be so much fun not saying anything before it comes out. We all know Valve is just a big troll, and how trollish wouldn't it be to not even announce one of the most anticipated games ever? It doesn't need any promotion, it's HL3...

snave

Nov 10, 2009
I'd just assumed this to be the case already. I mean, it makes sense, both from an artistic and a business point of view.

Which is why I believe the kitten image is the star of this piece. I had yet to see that particular one and am highly amused.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
I'd just assumed this to be the case already. I mean, it makes sense, both from an artistic and a business point of view.

Which is why I believe the kitten image is the star of this piece. I had yet to see that particular one and am highly amused.

Edit: Hang on, why did this show up in the most recent feed so long after publication?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I find myself not really caring about Half Life. I like Valve and what they do for gaming sometimes, and I like Steam but I just don't know why people beat their chests and demand Half Life 3.
Half Life really wasn't THAT interesting. It was a fun game but come on.

Griffinsteam

Jul 17, 2012
Opinions are opinions, no matter what you say tho, records tell that the half life series was one of the best games made, plus games are still using the physics engine they built for hl2