Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
If Duke Nukem Forever hits shelves before we have a trailer for Half Life 3 I may have to burn Gabe alive.

(Who wants bacon? :D)

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Nice, but they should understand this is not how episodic gaming works. The formula isn't, "slightly cheaper, drastically shorter and released whenever-we-feel-like-it."

People get upset not because they feel they're "owed," but because so many think Valve can do no wrong, and then Valve continues to release inferior retreads of HL2 at half the price of a full game, yet 2 or 3 times the price of other episodic games of similar length (from other developers).

Juheniqus

Mar 16, 2011
I think because of the time that passed, they may plan to drop the episode thing and do a fullworthy sequel, but thats a good thing, right? More Freeman for us, because episode or sequel it's half life either way.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Valve's delayed games : Every single HL Game except Blue Shift and Opposing Force

Portal 2
The ORANGE Box
L4D2 (The Australian version)

...Fuck off Valve....

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Puddle Jumper said:
Never forget the fact they'd need to distance themselves from the unbelievably mediocre Half Life 2.
After taking a look at the number of the Half-Life 2 fanboys in existence (only a million billion), I say you are right. They need to distance themselves from this incredibly unsuccessful game.

...?

Anyway, I stopped caring for Episode 3 about 2 weeks after having finished Episode 2. The story and characters are not THAT compelling. I appreciate Valve's work a lot, but I'll never understand the incredible amount of love.

May 25, 2010
Gxas said:
I'll bet they're making a new engine for it.

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...
If you're playing on a console then I most certainly agree with you. If you're playing on PC, then I have no idea what your problem is.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I think at this point we can expect the next instalment in the amount of time equilivant to Uranium-234's half-life

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect they're making a full sequel, or at least not a conventional episode. I doubt valve spent the last four years sitting on their hands.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
THIS IS THE GREATEST NEWS I HEARD IN A LONG TIME.

I'll have to sacrifice a few bulls to the Valve gods. Maybe a virgin or two, not that there are any around where I live...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
What are the current bets on Episode Three being cancelled in favour of Half-Life 3?

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
We've been hanging in here for 4 years Gabe. Give us something. Remember the principles of episodic gameplay?

1. Shorter games
2. at lower prices
3. released more frequently.

Valve's not been releasing much this past year, just cranking out TF2 updates. Oh, yes, and Alien swarm. This is why Mojang got my vote in march madness.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Might also rain sometimes during this upcoming summer.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
That's a pretty hollow gesture, throw the wolves a bone at least, some concept art, a trailer I mean good god they've had Years and nothing to show any of us.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Puddle Jumper said:
Think it through, man :) Just, think it through.

Need a hand?

Okay: Twilight has millions of fans too. Doesn't make the series any less shitty.

To clarify, because I know that this is going to get a reply by someone who didn't think it through, I do not think Half Life 2 is as bad as Twilight. I said it was Unbelievably Mediocre. Even for when it was just released, the game is mediocre.
For the record, stating your opinion as fact is the fastest way to an argument online. Just saying.

Anyways, much as I love Half-Life and Half-Life 2, I've somewhat stopped caring about Episode 3. Once they start the hype machine for it I'll be very excited, but until then, I have other games to occupy my time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Puddle Jumper said:
They'd better go with Half Life 3. Going with episode 3 would be just stupid. Never forget the fact they'd need to distance themselves from the unbelievably mediocre Half Life 2.
So... you consider HL2 mediocre?

Okay, fair enough. Your opinion etc etc.

But why would Valve want to distance themselves from their highest selling game? Especially when that game is widely liked?