Valve Talks About Importance of a Good Snack Bar

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Unfortunately, since Portal 2's release it's been entirely replaced by potatoes.

potato potato potato potato

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Gabe Newell's flavour text, shamelessly ripped from a Furnace Boar:
It must eat its weight in metal snacks daily, or its furnacelike belly will consume itself for lack of fuel.
[sarcasm]It would be a shame if that were to happen.[/sarcasm]

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
this reminds me of a video like this about Google i saw in Business Education. they have slides in their offices! and random semisphere chairs. but Valve are focusing on food.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Because if there's one thing Gabe Newell knows, it's snacks. Treating your customers right, not so much.
Yeah, of course. Never mind all the great things Valve and Steam have done for the game industry. Let's just make a fat joke, because that's not almost as tired as "the cake is a lie" jokes. Nope. Totally new, original, and still funny.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
As much as I respect Valve employees, their lifespans must be severely shortened by working there.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
God, I so want to work there. Better learn how to be good at programing or something.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
SaintWaldo said:
Treating your customers right, not so much.
Oh, man, you've stirred up the hive. And that's one good, righteous and committed to it's believes hive.
/sting

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:
Because if there's one thing Gabe Newell knows, it's snacks. Treating your customers right, not so much. But when it comes to snacking, MAN, that Newell is fucking PRO!

This film gives me great hope for the emerging semiotic skills of today's youth. They really hit it with this one. IMO.
snip i think
Thanks for playing.
Translating that it says...
"I won this argument and you lost so don't respond!"
Plus, he may even have a good point but I doubt you bother considering that.

ductape10

Nov 20, 2010
you got to feel sorry for the guy who brought in an big empty box with cake writen on the side for april fools one year......

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:
Because if there's one thing Gabe Newell knows, it's snacks. Treating your customers right, not so much. But when it comes to snacking, MAN, that Newell is fucking PRO!

This film gives me great hope for the emerging semiotic skills of today's youth. They really hit it with this one. IMO.
Man, if you think Newell knows nothing about treating customers right, you've obviously never listened to Valve's in game commentary. The lengths that they go to to make sure the player has a good experience is insane.
http://www.gamefront.com/gabe-newell-playstation-3-a-waste-of-time/

That certainly didn't make me want to give him anything, ever. And he's never ever tried to apologize, as far as I've been able to find. So, he earned that insult.

Thanks for playing.
...so? He's not allowed to have an opinion on that? Given that, iirc, he said that around the time that Sony announced that they'd intentionally made the PS3 hard to program for, that seems completely reasonably to me. Besides, you're talking about a very small segment of Valve's userbase, the vast majority is on the PC. Hardly "not treating his customers right", when most of them are not using the PS3.
Note that I'm only really talking about Newell. He said that while his own company was making products for the platform that "was a waste of time". That's insulting to the company AND the people he wanted to give him money for a product he couldn't be bothered to avoid undermining.

Also, he's certainly entitled to his opinion, and I am as well. I'm just pointing out that if he wants my money or my respect he will have to own up to his past words and actually say, "I apologize for insulting customers."
Yeah, in the business world people should just take pity on companies who made a stupid product and risk all of our money on said product just because it would be mean to not. How does Gabe Newell's comment insult PS3 owners? I bought products that make me say "Man, this thing sucks!" and it doesn't hurt my self esteem.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
SaintWaldo said:

Man, if you think Newell knows nothing about treating customers right, you've obviously never listened to Valve's in game commentary. The lengths that they go to to make sure the player has a good experience is insane.
Well if you sell something to customers you do need to give them a good experience. And commentary about it if like watching a movie about how great your time share condo is and how much of a value it was after you bought into it. Let someone have their opinions.

This film is obvious propaganda to disprove http://nerfnow.com/comic/501 .

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
This is pretty good, haven't seen it before. And mike Laidlow seems to have a drawing of cardcaptor sakura by his desk if I'm not mistaken. Which is awesome.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:

http://www.gamefront.com/gabe-newell-playstation-3-a-waste-of-time/

That certainly didn't make me want to give him anything, ever. And he's never ever tried to apologize, as far as I've been able to find. So, he earned that insult.

Thanks for playing.
...so? He's not allowed to have an opinion on that? Given that, iirc, he said that around the time that Sony announced that they'd intentionally made the PS3 hard to program for, that seems completely reasonably to me. Besides, you're talking about a very small segment of Valve's userbase, the vast majority is on the PC. Hardly "not treating his customers right", when most of them are not using the PS3.
I'd have to agree. He insulted PS3s, big deal. He's primarily a PC developer. Do we expect him to be nice to the competition?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Littlee300 said:
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:

snip i think
Thanks for playing.
Translating that it says...
"I won this argument and you lost so don't respond!"
Plus, he may even have a good point but I doubt you bother considering that.
He made the mistake of conflating my remarks about Newell to everything Valve puts out. That's just bad debate. So he must be playing, rather than seriously reading what I said. Either way, I'm probably playing, too, so, I thank everyone, just in case. Hey, by the way, thank you for playing, as well.

Please read the rest of the thread. About the Newell subject, I have considered proper points, and even moved my stated positions a bit. I hope this clarifies my overall stance for you.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Awesome games, bowl full of snickers. Throw in blackjack and hookers and valve just might be the best company to work for in the universe : )

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
SaintWaldo said:
I think it's great. I thought that Valve really cleaned up after Newell well with that offer. Having never heard the man himself apologize made it seem like slightly moot action. Now that I know different, thanks to my forum mates, it makes way more sense. And, yeah, pretty awesome.
TBF, I don't think the Escapist caught the apology, but Gabe recognised the hatred at E3 2010.
TBTF, I may have seen it and forgotten it. But reminders are always appreciated.