Valve Talks About Importance of a Good Snack Bar

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
...how the hell does anyone there NOT turn into a huge blob of sugar, butter, and caffeine? Anyone under 90kg must be a frickin saint.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Come to Valve and get diabetes!

Diabeetus Newell knows his snacks alright. Bullshit is the snack bar for workers, the fruit stand maybe but the snacks they be Gabens.

Also that writer guy is paranoid as fuck. Must be on a constant sugar rush.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
What's the bet the entirity of Eric's butter and the bag disappeared after Gabe watch this video?

...Damn it, we're never going to get another Half Life are we?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I heard a rumour that Gabe likes to collect knifes.

Now I'm imagining a guy walking into the snack room and going to grab something, but suddenly stopping.

Behind him, down the hall, Gabe is sharpening a knife.

Watching.

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Show me a quote of him saying, "sorry for being a dick to half of you," or words to that effect, and I'll come down off the horse. Fair enough?
I'm sorry but i fail to see how Gabe Newell was a dick to you or any other PS3 user, he didn't say, "People who like PS3s are retarded," or anything to that effect. In that interview, which is available unedited on Youtube somewhere so you can see the words come out of his mouth, he talks about it being overly difficult to develop games for, which was and still is true, out of the current platforms available the PS3 is by far the least friendly to developers.

With the pc being their main platform, 360 sales being adequate and Steam creating generating a massive profit, you can understand why, Gabe, as a potential billionare saw the PS3 as a, "Waste of time."

Choosing to not develop on a specific console is not, "Treating your customers badly," it was a smart business at the time, but now they have the resources to create quality games for the platform. I don't personally know what Sony did to change Newell's mind (i'm assuming it was allowing them to use Steamworks) but i see no reason why he should need to apoligize, he didn't insult or harm anyone.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I want to work at Valve now. Seriously. I want to work there. Too bad I'm mediocre at both programming and 3D design.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
I know you have reconciled to Valve/ Newell, but I also just wished to clarify something you said earlier. At the time Gabe said the PS3 was a waste of time or whatever... they (Valve) were not currently in development for software on the PS3. The only game that game(s) that came out for them that year (2007) was the orange box and the PS3 version of that was outsourced to EA. So while he may have disrespected the PS3 console for its difficult development, he did not disrespect his own company.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It is not just Valve, I know at least Epic and Bungie have legendary snack areas.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
This explains why melons, cake and potatoes are so popular in their games. The snack bar's influence extends everywhere.