Valve Talks About Importance of a Good Snack Bar

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Amarok said:
In before moronic fat jokes (or maybe not, looking above).

A giant bowl of snickers? Fuck, I need to get me some programming and/or design skills.
If the snickers is your motivation I'd recommend merchandising rather that software development, in my 15+ years in the software industry I've never experienced anything thing like what they are describing at valve (granted I've worked for companies like IBM who are hardly trendy game companies..).. Most people I know in merchandising however are sick of chocolate they have had so much of it...

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010

[sub]Gabe Newell is quite overweight and thus it makes sense that the company would see so much importance in having a good snack bar...[/sub]

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Luke Cartner said:
Amarok said:
In before moronic fat jokes (or maybe not, looking above).

A giant bowl of snickers? Fuck, I need to get me some programming and/or design skills.
If the snickers is your motivation I'd recommend merchandising rather that software development, in my 15+ years in the software industry I've never experienced anything thing like what they are describing at valve (granted I've worked for companies like IBM who are hardly trendy game companies..).. Most people I know in merchandising however are sick of chocolate they have had so much of it...
Perhaps I could join valve for the sole purpose of pushing that Boomer plushie onto the unsuspecting masses?

Though admittedly I'd take my advertising techniques from punk rock band Crass:

"[Product]! Fuckin' BUY it!"

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm not even meaning to make fun of the man, but this snack bar might help explain a few things.

Woodsey said:
OT: That whole butter discussion had me laughing.
Same. I'm not sure why. Is it that this happens among adults, is it that he goes through such extraordinary measures to protect his butter and it seems normal to him or is it the seriousness with which he tells us this? I can't say but it was pretty funny.

Ya know. I was also laughing at his trail mix story. It might just be that this man Wolpaw is unintentionally hilarious. He didn't have to say anything other than "Uh... so" at 3:59 while looking up at the ceiling and I started cracking up. Then he goes on to say everyone has a good relationship with the snack lady but him.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
Man I'd love to work at Valve.
I mean the video may be mostly about the snack bar but I can really sense the atmosphere of the studio from this video and it certainly seems like a friendly and very very awesome one.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Happy Employees make Good Games, but Good Games take time.

Which is basically why I'm always satisfied with Valve's work- they always deliver on a great product that has a lot of polish in it- even something "small" like Alien Swarm. Even Gabe said they wouldn't do an Episode 3/Half-Life 3 if they couldnt do it well and if any part of it was half-assed. Some might call that perfectionism, I call it being thorough as we all know Valve games are anything but perfect on launch especially, patched and updated constantly.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
There are so many potential Gabe Newell fat jokes here that my brain exploded.

Their snack bar looks more like a snack garbage pile. What a mess! And why are there so many mustard bottles and bottles of spray-on butter in their fridge? Why do I feel like it's because Gabe does this every day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFCQGuq13IY

I'm pretty sure Wolpaw was being facetious when he said 7000 calories. I think that's physically impossible to have in a cookie that size. Consider that a fully-loaded Chipotle burrito has about 1200 calories.

Anyway, they still can't compare to the obscene gluttony of Google's cafeteria:
http://www.slashfood.com/2008/08/28/krispy-kreme-cheddar-bacon-cheeseburgers-at-the-google-cafeteria/

Red Pawn

Jun 3, 2009
"Thanks, Major Glory!"
"Don't thank me; thank Justice Fruit Pies!"
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091204022060/dexterslab/images/2/29/JFP.jpg

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
SaintWaldo said:
Irridium said:
SaintWaldo said:
SaintWaldo said:
Because if there's one thing Gabe Newell knows, it's snacks. Treating your customers right, not so much. But when it comes to snacking, MAN, that Newell is fucking PRO!

This film gives me great hope for the emerging semiotic skills of today's youth. They really hit it with this one. IMO.
Man, if you think Newell knows nothing about treating customers right, you've obviously never listened to Valve's in game commentary. The lengths that they go to to make sure the player has a good experience is insane.
http://www.gamefront.com/gabe-newell-playstation-3-a-waste-of-time/

That certainly didn't make me want to give him anything, ever. And he's never ever tried to apologize, as far as I've been able to find. So, he earned that insult.

Thanks for playing.
Not even when he went on Sony's E3 presentation and proclaimed Portal 2 would be the best console version?
Show me a quote of him saying, "sorry for being a dick to half of you," or words to that effect, and I'll come down off the horse. Fair enough?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8eRjw-xogQ

He apologises right at the start, if memory serves.
Yeah, that was pointed out, and if you read on I do the right thing by that info.

But thank you for responding with reason. :)

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
The Zango said:
"Gabe.... Um... Can I have a Snickers bar?"... Gabe looks up from the snack bowl, chocolate covering his face.

"You can have whats left!"
"Happy thanksgiving..." *cries*

'Wolpaw was ready to exit the videogame industry for good before he visited Valve and saw its display of snacks. Gabe Newell says it "reflects the personal preferences and desires" of everyone that works at Valve. However, the room is not without its flaws.'

I think someone's just in it for the Cookies mr Wolpaw... :S as for the flaws, damn straight, i saw no coffee or, for that matter: Hot Tomales! my creative juice cannot flow without those cinnamon bad boys!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Actually it's interesting that Gabe is not seen in the snack room or at the company catered lunch. I guess he was hooked up the feeding trough No, bad, don't push back half life another week.

It's cool to see what Valve does for its employees. They have some pretty fresh and cool ideas that work well int he game industry. Actually they remind me of Google a little.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Looks like im gonna have to get to making maps in Valve games, if I get good enough maybe they'll hire me and I can get me some snacks.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Jelly ^.^ said:
There are more than 100 comments, so I'm going to assume at least half are fat jokes aimed at Gabe Newell, so I shall not add to them.

All they're missing is booze! Where is the Ballmer Peak Maintenance department?
this is not microsoft!

-microsoft was the company that found conclusively that a little buzz makes one a better programmer.

http://xkcd.com/323/