Valve Teases Steam Box With Countdown Timer

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Now the only thing I need is for SNK to patch KoF XIII: SE so that it wouldn't crash, and you got yourself a customer.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
There's also a silhouette of a cat eyeballing a controller that looks suspiciously like a sandwich. I have no idea what to make of that.

Oh, Andy....

OT: This may be very interesting. If there is a steam box coming that will actually run a game at a low price, colour me extremely intrigued. If it is another feature like Big Picture, I will still be interested. I've messed about with Big Picture a bit and I really like it. We'll see, maybe this will be big and interesting.

Edit: It really does look like a sandwich, wow

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
It HAS to be about HL3..... right,right... Seriously, it's definitely about the Steambox being announced. In a two party console market, the only way to make a dent would be to announce an amazing exclusive, and HL3 is the only game to carry such clout. Even if rushed (HA!), they'd have to announce this as an exclusive in order to sell their console.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I can't really be excited for it until I know its specs. Also, if it only runs native linux games it won't be that useful for me.
What's with all the threes? It's like they're trolling us.

Vie said:
Will be locked down so you buy everything through Steam so they recoup their hardware loss with software sales.
So basically like every other modern console? Possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Don't care make a count down till half life 3 instead valve
I am sick to death of this radio silence for a game they would have to be so insane not to make they might nearly come back around to sanity

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im thinking this will be steam related through cloud than an actual piece of hardware. If its hardware, then i have no idea whom its aimed for, who the target market is? But if its something small that plugs into your tv and then play games via cloud. Then that would be interesting.

Or it could be making games avaliable on smart phones and tablets? Who know.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I just want to know if it's locked down to only use steam and play games, if thats the case then i'd rather buy a console.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Three announcements.

Three.

THREE.

Best part: I was listening to "All the Strange, Strange Creatures" as I read the news.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Three announcements.

1) ????? but I will eat my hat if it's hl3.
2) Steambox
3) Family sharing.

Sep 9, 2007
DazBurger said:
2014? Accounting for Valve-time that should be somewhere around spring 2016!
I'll be very disappointed if the countdown isn't extended at least twice. "Noon Monday? We really meant sometime in the afternoon on Wednesday... Wait, make that Thursday". :p

DelinquentTurtle

Mar 3, 2012
Li Mu said:
HL3 surely has to be a release title. Otherwise we have a console with NO GAMES! Nobody is going to buy a console to play 2 year old games. Speaking of which, hey Valve, how about releasing some GAMES! Remember those? You know...those things you used to make that were pretty damn good. How about giving us some new ones.
I know you all run on Valve time, but surely the idea is to bring out more than one game per average life-time.
Pretty sure they just officially released what has become their biggest/most played game on Steam in Dota 2 just a couple of months ago.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Could also be about that family game sharing thing they announced a few weeks ago. The beta for that was supposedly starting soon.

But here's hoping for Steam Box.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Zeckt said:
Half life fan's have suffered enough. Please, please don't let us down. we neeeeed half life 3!

It's time to let go and to accept the truth: Half Life 3 is a figment of your imagination, a manifestation of your own desires for answers and closure. But it's not going to happen, there is no answers or closure to this story. It hurts, i know it does, but it will hurt more if you keep holding on to something that simply doesn't exist...Half Life 3 won't happen. It will never happen.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So, does anyone else think that after the second announcement, the timer for the third will just say "When it's ready", and Valve will refuse to comment or mention it again for a decade or so?