Valve Teases Steam Box With Countdown Timer

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
DelinquentTurtle said:
Pretty sure they just officially released what has become their biggest/most played game on Steam in Dota 2 just a couple of months ago.
Nah, that didn't happen. You imagined it.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
It won't be Half-Life 3.

Because they would fuck with us like that.

They would.

They would fuck with us like that.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Three announcements...

Three day countdown...
On a less serious note, Ricochet would make a fantastic game mode for TF2 with everyone playing as some horrific pyro/scout hybrid. Double jumping and airblasting away across the platforms.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Bear with me. There's a cat and a countdown, right? A cat is the main protagonist of the infamous Schroedinger's Cat thought experiment. In that experiment there's a mention of an atom that may or may not decay within a designated time. The time required for half of the unstable radioactive atoms to undergo radioactive decay is called...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

Half-Life!

At least it makes some sense. Unlike the simplistic nature of "3 circles = Half-Life 3" analysis.
I just realized that the cat is staring at a controller with 3 buttons on it.

O__O

OT: I don't know if I can wait nineteen more hours! I'm REALLY curious! D:

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Gabe announce Half Life 3, exclusive to Steam Box. Gabe sits back and enjoys the view as the world economy breaks down due to the otherworldly demand for Steam boxes.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Two-part question! Will I be able to play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on it, and will it have mod support?

Oops.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Hmm, the cat and the controller look like they are made from carboard.

Cat
Controller
Cardboard

Three Cs! And three As! AND THREE Rs! Three threes means Half-Li...hold on there's four Rs. Nevermind.

I get the feeling that the part about 'adding you to the design process' is going to mean THERE ARE THREE Os! Half-Life 3!
Like to add that the cat has 3 whiskers.

Just throwin' that out there. Somehow I doubt any of this means anything, but it's fun to pretend, hm? :)

Edit: someone beat me to it. Dag.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that having the title "Valve Teases..." over an image of Gordon Freeman is kinda evil?

That being said, as an old-time PC gamer who builds his own rigs... I have zero interest in the steambox. But I do see the appeal among the console crowd.

Just had a crazy idea... Wonder if the steambox won't be a mini-pc, but rather a streaming platform, similar to the Nvidia Shield, but without any processing power of it's own, that connects your PC to your TV. And, boy, would that be silly.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
love that image.

and it seems that steam is after all determined to bring us... something.

while unlikely, if HL3 is a launch title i think steamboxes will outnumber other consoles 2 to 1.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Maze1125 said:
Half-Life 3 as launch title!
Three symbols. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

... Honestly, I hope that the hype isn't Duke Nukem Forever big that even Valve wouldn't be able to deliver a satisfying experience. Half-Life is a good series, and it will deliver a solid game in time, but I hope we don't have our expectations ridiculously high before then.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Steam for cats! My cats can't wait now..... I better hide their credit cards.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's an OS.

SteamOS. And it's designed for TV.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

I think it's safe to say that no one saw this one coming.

Now there's even fewer advantages of console over PC. :p

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
lacktheknack said:
It's an OS.

SteamOS.

well, it's kind of a half and half. we saw them switching to Linux, we just didn't see them making their own Linux.

I'm loving the list of features it has. it's like the Xbone launch done right.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ace O said:
lacktheknack said:
It's an OS.

SteamOS.

well, it's kind of a half and half. we saw them switching to Linux, we just didn't see them making their own Linux.

inb4 UnnDunn.

I don't think I'll use it for a while (I've crafted my current Windows install too carefully), but it's still very cool.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Interesting, I just might do a dual boot with my new PC, if this turns out nicely.

I certainly know my brother will be begging for this to go on the family computer.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ace O said:
lacktheknack said:
It's an OS.

SteamOS.

inb4 UnnDunn.

I don't think I'll use it for a while (I've crafted my current Windows install too carefully), but it's still very cool.
At first, I was sorta "nah, but I already use windows on my livingroom PC, and that sorta works ok with support for ALL games on Steam. But, they also announced that they'll allow you to stream your games from your main computer over to your SteamOS machine. Which is great, because my main gaming rig is vastly superior to my living room PC, and streaming my games over LAN won't be as terrible as third party services that stream from some remote server over the internet. If only they will provide decent media playing capabilities ala XBMC, I'm sold.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ed130 said:
Interesting, I just might do a dual boot with my new PC, if this turns out nicely.

I certainly know my brother will be begging for this to go on the family computer.
Well, it's free, so what's the worst that could happen?

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
Still seems like a one man crusade to reinvent the wheel that need not be reinvented.

In order to run the grand majority of Steam's Games (IE: Windows and MacOS), you will have to have the games installed through Steam somewhere else on the home network.

Most people who know how to get that set up, or have it set up that way, will probably just end up sticking to their current Steam Setup. Others who are just dying to have PC Games in the living room probably already have it going. Those who don't want to deal with this? Buy a Console like the PlayStation.

I really wish Valve would pay attention to some things that really need paying attention to instead of these really weird projects. :( Like... how about we get a Steam Client that isn't from the Windows XP Era? Takes advantage of all the new features of Windows and MacOS? Seems like a pipe-dream at this point.