Valve: There Is No Half-Life 3

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Fuck... Why can't Valve at least say, yes we are working on the next Half-Life. That's all they need to say, no release date or anything, just some confirmation that they are NOT leaving us hanging forever with that semi-cliffhanger of an ending to Episode 2. GAAAAH

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I still think that Valve is just waiting to make Source 2 or whatever their next major engine upgrade will be called before announcing Half Life 3.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Daverson said:
Wait, isn't Chetf one of the L4D guys?

Welp, guess we know their big "3" announcement is now =\
He's actually one of the everything guys. Chet Faliszek is a writer who worked on both HL2 episodes, both Portal games and both L4D games.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Dammit, "No Half-Life 3 ARG" does not mean "No Half-Life 3" This is how modern journalism works. For real news, go to the Steam Forums.

Vulpis

Jan 18, 2011
As some people I know about have pointed out...who needs HL3? What we want is *Episode* 3, which is not the same thing...and which nothing at *all* one way or another was said about.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
"There has been no directive from Gabe to leak anything. That is all false."

That's probably a reference to Steamcast, a popular podcast which has been in contact with VALVe in the past (notably they helped make the PotatoFoolsDay ARG). They recently said Gabe had given them to go-ahead to leak details about "the next Half Life game". This does not bode well for them.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe they alreayd made it, but lost the only copy somewhere, rather than telling everyone and looking stupid they are still searching for it.
And looking stupid.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This news is partly incorrect, while Chet said that there isn't any ARG going on, he didn't mention anything about hl3.
I'm not saying that we'll see it soon but no ARG =/= no hl3.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Do we care? I mean that seriously.

Half-life was innovative and a ton of fun over a decade ago. Half-Life 2 was a last hurrah for old school shooters, but replaying it shows how linear and basic it really was. The episodes were more frustration than game play and the story is going the same way as Lost and BSG; the whole "let's keep everybody guessing and confused, even if it means we can't wrap it up neatly ourselves" strategy. Sure, it's fun for awhile, but look how it always turns out.

We look back on those games fondly, but they weren't that great, that well written, or even that good of examples of the things we remember them for.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
im surprised that so many people care.... half life was cool, but geez, it was not the best game evar or anything....