Valve Trying To Fix TF2 Item Drop Issues

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Ollie596 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
/me has three hats. :)
I really want to scream bastard at you!, 3 Jarates,2 huntsman and 3 fecking razorbacks!
I have 1 jarate and dozens of old stuff..

I hate this system, why didn't they implement the trading system already?

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
The system is actually starting to grow on me. I dont see how people who play 40 hours dont get anything, I mean in the matter of a few hours I usually get 2 items, maybe people who arent active cant get anything. I would like to let you know im not one of those lucky ass holes who got all there items in the first few days, im still waiting for my ambassador :'(. The trading system should me this all right...maybe...not for you QQ ass holes who cant deal with change.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
I'm not sure about this new system, while I do play TF2, it's never enough to be really swayed here or there. However, I really like how willing valve is to take risks and experiment. It's a delight to watch.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Apparently I'm missing something here, because I don't see what the big deal is with the items. I picked up a few of them and never "use" them (primarily because I just want to jump back into the action.) Are these like 1-use items that last for a round or until you die, or are these like "equipment" where you can use them constantly in different matches?

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
randommaster said:
What, is your body moving to your bed on its own while you want to stay at the computer?
It's called a laptop...
my head keeps telling me to turn it off and go to sleep already but my fingers keep typing
that happens to me all the time recently! The earliest Ive gotten to sleep since I bought this damn laptop was 2AM! D:

on topic; Im glad for Xbox version of tf2 right now.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
Apparently I'm missing something here, because I don't see what the big deal is with the items. I picked up a few of them and never "use" them (primarily because I just want to jump back into the action.) Are these like 1-use items that last for a round or until you die, or are these like "equipment" where you can use them constantly in different matches?
this is the normal 'unlockables' that used to be available only by gaining achievements.
i have five blutsaugers, two kritzkriegs, three backburners, and only one new weapon.
AND NO HATS! my friend got the afro before i did and he doesn't even play demoman! PISSED

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Ashbax said:
300lb. Samoan said:
randommaster said:
What, is your body moving to your bed on its own while you want to stay at the computer?
It's called a laptop...
my head keeps telling me to turn it off and go to sleep already but my fingers keep typing
that happens to me all the time recently! The earliest Ive gotten to sleep since I bought this damn laptop was 2AM! D:

on topic; Im glad for Xbox version of tf2 right now.
i know what you mean, I've lost so much sleep to this damn thing, it almost outshines my TF2 use!
but XBox? i dunno, I spend too much time on custom maps and servers with good ping to go to a console version. Speaking of which, I was really disappointed when i tried left4dead on the PC and i hope they don't start dumbing down the multiplayer system for all of their games like that... that menu system is ONLY appropriate on a console game

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
And this new drop system has created idle servers, where gameplay itself has become meaningless.
I don't mind the idle servers as much myself. As a new player, I was able to basically play boards all by myself, and fearlessly explore every nook and cranny of a map while still accomplishing a boards objective. Then I jumped in a server where people were actually playing, and discovered that I'm great at disguising my spy convincingly, but then suck at killing anyone as a spy. I need more practice at that.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
you should be able to get the items from both achievements and random drops. That way it can cater for both sides. I still prefer the achievement way in unlocking due to getting all the unlockable weps apart from the heavys boxing gloves before this sniper/spy update came out.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
yourbeliefs said:
this is the normal 'unlockables' that used to be available only by gaining achievements.
i have five blutsaugers, two kritzkriegs, three backburners, and only one new weapon.
AND NO HATS! my friend got the afro before i did and he doesn't even play demoman! PISSED
Do the hats serve a purpose like acting as a helmet against head shots, or do they just look nice?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
randommaster said:
It's easier to deal with idle servers, however. Also, it's more fun to simply play TF2, then join an idle server while you sleep than to actively grind out achievements on your own time. Additionally, sleeping gets in the way of TF2 playing, and anyone who does it is clearly not serious about TF2.
I think if PC gaming has proved one thing in it's history, it's that you cannot dictate to players how they will play the game. No matter what Valve do, some players won't like it and some players will intentionally break the system.

What's gone wrong is that they've replaced a system that was fair and understandable but hated by a noisy minority with one that has no underlying logic to it's actions (as well as punishing anyone with limited time to play, it's well and good saying it's more fun to play TF2 than leave it idle, but when real life gets in the way...) and the noisy minority hate it even more. They've also made it even easier to cheat than before.

Valve have gone against their main design philosophy (make the player feel in control) with these updates. The problem won't be close to fixed until they make players able to influence their own unlocks again.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
randommaster said:
It's easier to deal with idle servers, however. Also, it's more fun to simply play TF2, then join an idle server while you sleep than to actively grind out achievements on your own time. Additionally, sleeping gets in the way of TF2 playing, and anyone who does it is clearly not serious about TF2.
I think if PC gaming has proved one thing in it's history, it's that you cannot dictate to players how they will play the game. No matter what Valve do, some players won't like it and some players will intentionally break the system.

What's gone wrong is that they've replaced a system that was fair and understandable but hated by a noisy minority with one that has no underlying logic to it's actions (as well as punishing anyone with limited time to play, it's well and good saying it's more fun to play TF2 than leave it idle, but when real life gets in the way...) and the noisy minority hate it even more. They've also made it even easier to cheat than before.

Valve have gone against their main design philosophy (make the player feel in control) with these updates. The problem won't be close to fixed until they make players able to influence their own unlocks again.
very well stated

yourbeliefs said:
Do the hats serve a purpose like acting as a helmet against head shots, or do they just look nice?
pure looks. valve have stated that they want to add options to customize the appearance

Fozzo

Apr 15, 2009
The idea of the unlocks isn't that they are upgrades. They give the player a different playing style. Before Bonk! a scout would never run straight in front of a sentry in fear of being mangled. Given the ability to avoid damage they must lose the pistol, their only long range weapon. This means the player must adopt a new method of approach to a situation given his different tools.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
randommaster said:

There willalways be people whining on the internet, but those who don't like the new method are probalbly not the same as those didn't like the old one.

It seems like Valve is trying to find a way to allow people to get the new items without having to grind. With the old method, many people would have all of the new weapons within hours by playing on achievment servers. You cannot reliably do that anymore. You will get items, yes, but in all likely hood, not the particular one you wanted in the first try. That's why they are allowing trading, so that you can find someone who has what you want, and then make a deal.

You also have to consider the large influx of new players that come to TF2 whenever a new update is announced. If they wanted to get the new items for the older classes, they were usually stuck with trying to get achievements in an actual game, as the achievement servers would not be there anymore. Now, not only will new players be guaranteed new items, but they may get valuable ones, such as the hats, or new items. Also, you can now give a new player extra items that you have so that they can catch up with everyone faster. You can also pool items from teams to help individual members. Say one person is a really good scout, but doesn't have any of the scout's new equipment. The rest of the team can give him any new scout equipment they have, or trade for some of it, which speeds up the process.

As for the idle servers, as I said before, you can now play regular TF2 on your own time, then join a farming server while you work or sleep.

What valve has done is introduce an RPG style mechanic into an FPS. There's nothing wrong with that, but seeing as Valve has little experience with RPGs, you have to give them a little bit of time to work the bugs out. They are trying to make TF2 more community based by adding another way to meaningfully interact with other players besides killing them. Give them a chance. If it is still funky in six months, then there is a problem.

Sorry about the long post, just trying to make my opinion clear.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
you know what else they should be pluggin away at? The xbox 360 update! But of course, no news to report there.