Valve Unleashes the Potato Sack Reunion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Unleashes the Potato Sack Reunion

The sack is back with 13 indie hits in one cheap bundle on Steam - but why?

Remember the Portal 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108965-Portals-GlaDOS-Invades-Steam-With-Potato-Related-ARG] ARG that made everybody mad. I never really understood the whole "potato" angle but there's something about it that Valve must like, because the Sack Is Back - and nobody knows why.

Here's what we do know. For $20, you get 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby), AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, AudioSurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Cogs, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Killing Floor, Rush, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the World and Toki Tori, a package of games that would cost over $77 if purchased individually. It's a pretty sweet deal, and if you already own some of them (or even all of them, if you're feeling generous) you can gift them to your friends.

But is also begs a question: What exactly is Valve up to? Is this a shenanigan-free Potato Sack? Given the warped minds and mysterious ways of Valve, that doesn't seem likely. But it's exactly the same collection of games as the original, so maybe Valve really is just giving gamers another crack at the Sack. Or maybe that's what you're supposed to think, and then when you're guard is down, BAM! Countdown timer to Half-Life 3.

Yeah, that's how I'm calling it. Half-Life 3 announcement on the way.

The Potato Sack Reunion is available now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15030/], but it won't be around for long: The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Sorry Valve, your potato sack might be the most recent indie game pack and Imma let you finish but Humble Indie Bundle V still takes the title of BEST THING EVARRRR.

felbot

May 11, 2011
actually killing floor just got updated this morning when i launched steam, this whole thing most likely has something to do with that.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So if it is HL3, I guess it would be safe to assume afterwards that Valve will associate their games with potatoes?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.
18:00 14/06/12

If you add all the numbers up you get 1+8+0+0+1+4+0+6+1+2 = 23

23 is clearly a reference to Half Life 2 Episode 3

Proof!

Jun 13, 2012
"it's exactly the same collection of games as the original"
Wrong, There's a small, insignificant difference :
It's AAAaaAAaAAaaa 2 (for the awesome) and not AAaaAAaaAAa 1 (a reckless blah blah to gravity)

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I just bought an indie bundle so not buying it and who cares about HL3 at this point anyway. I don't....really

*throws another dart at the picture of Gaben*

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
I'm just gonna call it now. It'll be another freaking TF2 hat.
Plus, if you own all 13 of the games in this pack (or purchase this pack), get a special Team Fortress 2 potato hat (Hat available after April 5th) and a special skin in Portal 2 co-op.
There you go.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
The only other game being "developed" by Valve is DoTA 2, so I'm thinking that it has something to do with that.

If it is half life 2 episode 3, I would laugh my pants off if the release date is 21/12/12

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
The only other game being "developed" by Valve is DoTA 2, so I'm thinking that it has something to do with that.

If it is half life 2 episode 3, I would laugh my pants off if the release date is 21/12/12
21st month, huh? (Valve is an American corporation.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.
18:00 14/06/12

If you add all the numbers up you get 1+8+0+0+1+4+0+6+1+2 = 23

23 is clearly a reference to Half Life 2 Episode 3

Proof!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

OT:

Andy Chalk said:
Or maybe that's what you're supposed to think, and then when you're guard is down, BAM! Countdown timer to Half-Life 3.

Yeah, that's how I'm calling it. Half-Life 3 announcement on the way.
QUIT TROLLING US ALLLLLLL! D:

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I never really understood the whole "potato" angle but there's something about it that Valve must like, because the Sack Is Back - and nobody knows why.
I thought it was because GladOs was put into a potato battery during Portal 2

I bet there is nothing special here, just another day of Steam selling good games and low prices.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Jean-marie Laffouine said:
"it's exactly the same collection of games as the original"
Wrong, There's a small, insignificant difference :
It's AAAaaAAaAAaaa 2 (for the awesome) and not AAaaAAaaAAa 1 (a reckless blah blah to gravity)
Dejobaan probably consider it a dick move to sell people an obsolete game. AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! For the Awesome has all of the old levels.

Yukinari

Aug 22, 2009
Except you dont get anything for this pack and it only lasts 2 days as opposed to the original which lasted 1 week.
Nothing to see here.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ugh...

Torn between getting this because the last time this happened people got free Portal 2 for it...

And not getting it because theres a fairly high chance that the "reward" game this time will be Dota 2, perhaps, for me, the least appealing Valve title since Ricochet...

Why must theese things be so hard to decide on...

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
gigastar said:
Ugh...

Torn between getting this because the last time this happened people got free Portal 2 for it...

And not getting it because theres a fairly high chance that the "reward" game this time will be Dota 2, perhaps, for me, the least appealing Valve title since Ricochet...

Why must theese things be so hard to decide on...
Could actually be CS:GO, though. Isn't that being released in a few months?