Valve, why are they loved?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Vkmies said:
It did suck. And I was against it up until like 2008 and now I love it. It's awesome. And I have no problem with the offline mode. Only that you can't get achievements is annoying.
Steam is good but not awesome or Revolutional. Steam is still DRM and DRM is bad because of the problems and potential problems that come with DRM. In a nutshell, it's Apple of all DRM which in itself is a kinda good and bad thing. simplification may seem good but it removes options.

I don't really see what's peoples problems with offline mode. It lets you play games offline. That's more that you can say, say about Origin or Uplay
More often than not, you need to be on-line to go off-line. Origin can at least go off-line without having to go on-line.

Whether or not this is down to poor shitty coding is still up in air but it does raise questions why it hasn't been fixed.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
valve is like a cult.
Once you join there's no escape. You will be controlled in every aspect of your life, be expected to regularly pay tribute, you must worship its creator... And when all that's said and done, you will thank them for it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Steam Summer-Sale baby, that's why! Ridiculous discounts for the freaking win.

Jaxs

Jul 19, 2010
mad825 said:
Steam is good but not awesome or Revolutional. Steam is still DRM and DRM is bad because of the problems and potential problems that come with DRM. In a nutshell, it's Apple of all DRM which in itself is a kinda good and bad thing. simplification may seem good but it removes options.
Actually, Steam was revolutionary, before Steam, video game digital distribution was practically non-existent and if it did exist then it did a very poor job.

And the only DRM I have ever encountered using steam is that i'm required to input a 5 digit code that they e-mail to me every time I install Steam which is roughly once to twice a year; which isn't a a problem at all.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Orks da best said:
nonsense snipped

The only true valve games are the half-life ones. All the other games are either: Mods, made by another company that is taken over by valve and the game is relesed with a valve logo, or a remake of another developers game "dota 2 anyone?"
So let me get this straight, you're criticizing Valve for giving modders and small indie teams the chance to have their hardwork turned into a full fledged, top quality product?

This thing you're complaining about is one of the reasons people love Valve. Valve tirelessly supports their modding community, and rightfully their community supports them back.

As for DotA2. Valve allowed Icefrog to retain full control over it. This is why Icefrog chose Valve instead of the dozen or so other game studios trying to hire him.

Orks da best said:
At least EA allows the company to keep their logo on their games.
Valve tends to hire small teams or unestablished developers. EA doesn't "allow" companies to keep their logo on the games, EA exploits the name of once acclaimed studios, eg. Westwood.

Orks da best said:
Also valve is sorta sadistic, remeber that April's fools joke? the one about half-life 3?, the only developer that could that is valve, and get away with it.

Meanwhile Half-life 3, or episode 3 are becoming the new Duke Nukem Forever of gaming, jokes and all.
HL3 is nothing like Duke Forever. First of all, Valve has remained active and hasn't been draining funds from investors as 3D Realms did. Secondly, it really hasn't been that long since HL2E2.

Orks da best said:
Yes valve may be friendly to theire fans and customers, but what about other developers? how many games have you brought retail and yet needed to install steam to use? How many developers have lost their titles to the valve beast? How long till the gaming culture is overrun with valvies?
I don't know if you noticed but a ton of developers love Valve. Many indie devs have found incredible success thanks to Steam.

The only example of "losing their titles to the valve beast" might be Turtle Rock Studios (l4d). Who are on good terms with Valve, were offer the opportunity to stay, they simply chose not to.

Orks da best said:
Valve may be a good developer, but there also the worst kind of evil"the one that looks and acts nice, but fools into doing there every order, so your helpless to fight back when they attack."

Now to head to my deep underground flame, acid, bullet, bomb, atom bomb, magic, and any other weapon you can think of bunker.
So here's the thing. You seem like you have absolutely no clue what you're talking -- this is why you'll get flamed. You seem to be doing little more than trying your best to go against the grain, all while being terribly uninformed on the issues you present.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Kaleion said:
If the servers went down for any random reason you wouldn't be able to play you're single player games since, at least last time I checked[footnote]Granted last time I checked was quite some time ago[/footnote] steam offline didn't work at all
Yeah, it still doesn't. At least not in any useful way.

That and steam support seem to be the main issues with Steam at the moment.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Another thread that fits the template: I don't like X, therefore nobody has any reason to like X!

I do have my opinion on VALVe and Steam (very positive ones), but I just don't want to contribute to discussion like this.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
I don't give a damn about motives
Rednog said:
KingsGambit said:
Orks da best said:
The only true valve games are the half-life ones. All the other games are either: Mods, made by another company that is taken over by valve and the game is relesed with a valve logo, or a remake of another developers game "dota 2 anyone?"
False. They also gave us Portal, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead and a handful of others.
No, Portal, Team Fortress, and Left 4 Dead were all originally mods and or developed by people outside of valve and then brought in.
And when they brought the games in, Valve added their fantastic humour, made a great story and polished till it was awesome. They did not invent the idea, thats for sure, but they brought the ideas much further, than they would have gotten on their own.

I do not see Valve as the Messiahs of the gaming industry, but I find them reliable. Good story, lack of cut-scenes, cheap prices. What's there not to like about them?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The only company that may rival Valve for releasing their games in a better state and doing patch support for years, is Blizzard and Blizzard/activision make different problems to push them away from the top spot.

You may not like the type of games Valve make, but if other companies did half as much quality control as Valve, gamers had much less to complain about (except maybe the release dates for the terribly impatient).

Final consideration: loyalty. Most Escpapist members play games primarilly on the PC. While companies like Epic have openly abandoned the PC at one time or another and studios like Bioware have begun to cater to a different audience than the old D&D-loving fans, Valve may have branched out, but they also stuck with their FPS fans on the PC.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Good business savvy and strong PR. Easy as.
They appear approachable and friendly, and seem to genuinely mean it, and they take criticism in board and react to it, I mean look at their playtesting practices.

I would however take issue with anyone calling Half Life a "great story" - it's not finished yet. We don't have much of a story arc and we really have no idea what the hell is going on. But the games are fun and the characters are pretty compelling.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I'm not a Valve fan per se, I don't even like the Half-Life games, but I know they all are good games with great creative elements and near-flawless game design/craftsmanship.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
because they use the carrot instead of the stick.
Honestly, seems to be the gist of it. Instead of blaming gamers for their own faults, forcing unwanted drm, deadlines and sales figures, destroying ip with mandates and asshattery, valve just rewards people. You want to support them because they reward you. Games for cheap. Convenient networking and friend storage. Being treated like a customer instead of a criminal.
The answer is simple. Why does valve get so much more love compared to companies like EA? because they are a better company. They aren't mired with outdated ideas of what they should get. They don't try to screw you out of every cent. And they support smaller guys too instead of eating them up and shitting out the bones.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
mad825 said:
Vkmies said:
It did suck. And I was against it up until like 2008 and now I love it. It's awesome. And I have no problem with the offline mode. Only that you can't get achievements is annoying.
I love how incredibly vague your reason is here "Steam is still DRM and DRM is bad because of the problems and potential problems that come with DRM,". How about mentioning some of those problems?

Steam's DRM isn't the draconian sort we've seen Ubisoft and EA implement in the past.

Publisher's want DRM, Steam offers DRM that is relatively painless to user, the alternative is much worse. Moreover Valve has done one step better and used its DRM to implement features that players do want in their game.

I see what you're trying to do with the Apple comparison, but it fails pretty hard. What options exactly does Steam's DRM remove?

mad825 said:
I don't really see what's peoples problems with offline mode. It lets you play games offline. That's more that you can say, say about Origin or Uplay
More often than not, you need to be on-line to go off-line. Origin can at least go off-line without having to go on-line.

Whether or not this is down to poor shitty coding is still up in air but it does raise questions why it hasn't been fixed.
I own quite a few games on Steam, I've never encountered a time when I have to go online to play offline...