Valve, why are they loved?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
The summer sale just started and I've already bought the Penumbra series, Oblivion and F:NV with all expansions, and Shogun 2: Total War.

I have only spent about forty-something dollars, for five games that will give me fun that will last for quite some time. Can't wait to get the mod installer for NV downloaded.

This is why people love Valve. Yes, they want to make more money, but they do it by making their fans actually want to spend their money, not by shoving online passes in their face, requiring them to buy a game new to use the multiplayer.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Gorilla Gunk said:
You really think Valve, a multi-BILLION dollar company, would ever really have THAT much trouble getting any updates/DLC to their console releases?
Actually, yes.

They don't use a "standard" model of patching. They use a much more fluid, open system. One that allows them to continually and progressively update, at a moments notice. They are also of the sort to include a hefty does of extra content within their patches.

To put it simply, their update model just doesn't "jive" with the system Microsoft (and to a much lesser extent) Sony employ. Though, it is far less the case now with Sony; given their more open system when compared to the Xbox.

Now of course you're going to say, "Well. They should just learn to deal with it." Thing is, they honestly don't have the resources to do it. Despite what Forbes estimates their value at, Valve employs a relatively small number of people. And, given the number of projects they work on at any given time, the number of people they have for each project is greatly diminished. As such, they don't have a lot of people to sit around and code a completely different set of updates, along side their core updates and content patches, simply to align with Microsofts update system. It would drastically slow and hamper the update system they already employ. One that works exceptionally well for other systems. (that aren't the Xbox)

DoPo said:
*sigh* I remember the time when I could go "Hey, I played this game from these guys and I liked it. Then I played another game by them and I liked it. I think I like those guys." and I wouldn't be questioned over this every week or two. Those were good times, remember, anybody? I hope so. Why can't it be like then - simple. With a lot less need to justify your every thought and action. Multiple times.
I do. Those were the good days, weren't they? Sadly, The Escapist has devolved into a cluster-fuck of hate-theads, spam, and trolls over the years. I guess it's an inevitability with anything great that shows up on the internet. The internet just sort of wears it down.

Still, it seems there are at least a few people; mods and posters; left here that want to keep it civil and non-confrontational. Shame most of them are drowned out by the din of the disruptive masses.

Bloodstain said:
Are you thriled for more, Escapees?! Stay tuned for next week's episode of "Why do people like something I don't like?"!
Nah. No thanks. That show jumped the shark years ago. Every weekly episode is the same. Only occasionally bringing in those quirky little kids to push peoples' "daawwww" buttons. What were their names again? Hal and Cal? Sounds close enough...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Isn't there a sale on Steam like... All the time?
Yep, when Midweek Madness ends the Weekend sale begins, and vice versa. Also the daily deals. Also the few amazing times of years like now where the massive sales happen.

OT:Because they're not dicks, they've never been dicks and they never will be dicks. Pretty much every other publisher has done some sort of dick move that gives shitty DRM (steam's DRM sure, but the only problem with it is offline mode and really, if you're playing on your desktop it doesn't matter), they've never made it looks like they think everyone is a potential pirate and they actually do things for the goddamn consumer. When Left 4 Dead 2 was announced, a lot of people got butthurt because it's not like Valve to release a sequel so early, they thought it would be rushed and terrible. What did Valve do? Invite the main boycotters over to their HQ and explained to them exactly why they were doing it and gave them a free tour of the plac,e and an early look at the game. What would EA do? Call them pirates then put always online DRM on the game.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
That's a very good question.
Oh, on the Escapist.
Because there is a lot of overlap between ZP fanboys and Valve fanboys.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Valve's games tend to be quirky and contain mountains of easter eggs. They also play to the idea of player freedom, in that they never take control away from the player at any time.

But in terms of gameplay and quality of writing, Valve is not much. I'd say their games are far outdone by companies like Ubisoft, BioWare and Namco.
Well, as awesome as they are, they do take control from the player quite a lot. Half Life 2 had the bit where you were stuck in that pod going to Breen's office I think. But I see what you mean, they never force you to look anywhere.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
First I liked valve because it made good games, I loved half life, I was unsure about half life 2 until I actually got an internet connection and a Pc powerful to actually play it by that time the game was in the discount bin. I loved the orange box and later I started really liking steam.

Valve is a company that at least to the outside looks like it cares for its fans, they are truth full and when they do something people don't like they try to sort it in the most affinity way that actually makes us go OK this is why they are doing it.

They take more risks than other companies and they release games when they are finished and not when they are half done. If they ever buy an IP they will make good on it.

Yes we complain about half life 3 but they have never said they are they are actually working on it. Maybe they cannot think of anything new and fun to do in it. Maybe it is in the pipeline they just want to get the new stuff out the way first. Who knows what they are working on.

Chknboy

Sep 10, 2008
"One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It?s a service issue. The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It?s by giving those people a service that?s better than what they?re receiving from the pirates." -Gabe Newell

OT: It's because all they care about is service, customers are happy, Valves happy. Also their method to developing games is pretty cool, everyone just chooses what project they want to do and then joins up with that group. No titles, no hierarchy, everyone's on an equal standing during the development process for maximum intellectual freedom.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Dont know I mean the few games they put out are usually ok to good if pretty samey most of the time but it certainly wouldnt be enough to sustain them if they didnt have steam to fill their pockets.

Ive largely been indifferent about them but I am not a fan of steam its just another barrier to play games as far as im concerned which always annoys me and so I dont give them any money (but had to install it once to play a game I bought in a shop for gods sake). Sure they can act like they dont care about money and champion the creation of interesting new games its easy when your rich and cant see an end to the tidal flow of cash but they never seem to do anything that different its pretty much all FPS for a start although they are tackling a DOTA mod now? er ok and most IP they just buy the people who were making it and fund them which is nice but really you would have thought they could create a few more innovating games internally.

They have built up a nice reputation really but I dont see them as any different to any other big company well actually they are they put on a caring face and try and appear all buddy with you which is nice but I really dont care. Anyway in my eyes Valve are ok I suppose I dont particularly like them or hate them and to be honest I doubt the internal workings of what projects get green lighted are much different from any other company despite what we hear.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Preface: I'd prefer to not have to use any sort of system attached to the games, but apart from obvious illegal means, I have little to no say if I want to purchase and play games on PC.

(do not bother suggesting consoles)

That said, Valve is the least evil of my options and there are things I like:

-Does not require CONSTANT internet connection (just long enough to appease the DRM)
This is useful for people who are prone to dealing with shitty/intermittent net service. Like me.

Of course, there have been instances where this has bit me in the arse, and since I started using Steam, the window for activating Offline Mode has downgraded from 4 weeks to "current session".

-Chat/VOIP/Etc is useful and works in (most) games via overlay.
Self-explanatory.

-Sales
Obvious benefit. Minimizes potential loss if nothing else.

-Good/Decent Games
The theme of Half-Life really isn't my cup of tea, but I do like the level design if nothing else.
I was gifted Portal 2 recently, so I'll see what that's all about.

ASIDE: *sigh* These Captchas continue to hit new lows.
It gave me an error for not posting this immediately (new Captcha since they are time-dependent), and the new captcha it gave me is exactly the same as the old one.

Fucking Murphy.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
They screw their fans the least, they own steam, when they DO release a game its usually pretty good.

That's about it.

Its sad when the gaming communities standards are forced to be....

"Well.. You didn't screw us over yet."

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Why so many Valve fans end up here, I have no idea. As to why I am a Valve supporter? They haven't gone out of their way to screw PC gamers over yet.

I dislike DRM as much as the next guy, and Steam is a large steaming pile of DRM, yet it gives an incredible amount of benefits to make up for that fact.

Who besides Valve does that?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Y'know, these 'why' threads always come off with the same impression, so I'll use this one as an example.

Does it actually OFFEND people that SOME people 'love' Valve?
Does it REALLY keep someone up at night that Valve exists and isn't universally hated?
Does it?

dando300

Nov 20, 2009
Our Father in Valve, hallowed be thy name.
Thy company come, thy will be done
On towers, as it is on laptops
Give us each day our daily discounts
And forgive us our piracy, as we forgive those who lawsuit against us
Lead us not into the temptation of overpriced AAA titles
But deliver us from inferior, less reliable DRM programs
Pray with me, brothers and sisters. The summer sale is finally upon us.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Sleekit said:
its a company created by Quake modders that in turn hires other modders that has fortunately grown big enough by being the first to step into digital distribution to tell the corporate "publishers" to fuck off...that's it in a nutshell from my pov.

Valve is the biggest thing we have that was born from us...in a way.

are they perfect ? no.

but they are a damn sight better than what we have as alternatives and personally i think they still "care about games and gaming" in a way those alternatives do not.
Sorry nitpick but gabe worked at Microsoft and worked on the first 3 releases of windows and became a Microsoft millionaire, With those millions he started a gaming studio and HIRED a group of quake modders to create the game.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Gorilla Gunk said:
I had some long reply written out but lost it so basically the gist of what I was trying to say is that Valve doesn't give a shit about it's console players then that lumps them into the mediocre developer category.

And before you give me the "MICROSOFT/SONY WON'T LET THEM SUPPORT THEIR CONSOLE RELEASES!" excuse, just think for a second, think of all the support other, "lesser" developers are able to give their console releases. You really think Valve, a multi-BILLION dollar company, would ever really have THAT much trouble getting any updates/DLC to their console releases?
The thing is all that dlc costs money and valve rarely releases paid dlc.