Valve Working on Steam Controller Compatibility for Dota 2

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Valve Working on Steam Controller Compatibility for Dota 2

Valve is confident that its new controller can handle complex titles like Dota 2, and we'll soon have the opportunity to decide for ourselves.

When Valve announced the Steam Controller [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128240-Valve-Reveals-the-Steam-Controller], many gamers raised a suspicious eyebrow. The touchpad controller is unconventional, to be sure, but if Valve's sales pitch is even remotely accurate, the gamepad has a great deal of potential. However, before it'll be accepted by the community, we'll need to see this thing in action. And that's going to take a lot of behind-the-scenes footwork from Valve.

Part of Valve's spiel included a promise that the Steam Controller would be able to play PC games that weren't specifically designed with gamepads in mind. Many RPGs and MOBAs, with all of their classes and abilities, seem irreducibly complex, which means that controllers might be out of the question. But Valve is confident in its new gamepad.

"[Dota 2] is a really complex game that uses a good half of the keyboard," said Valve's Jeff Bellinghausen in a recent interview with Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/8/5289314/valve-working-to-get-dota-2-playable-on-steam-controller]. "And it's a real challenge, but would also be really exciting. To be able to play Dota from the couch is a really neat opportunity."

"For a game like Dota," he continued, "we're probably not going to be able to match it perfectly. You're not going to take [pro player Danylo 'Dendi' Ishutin] and have him play at his level with the controller, but that's not really the goal. That's true of the controller in general."

In the gaming world, there has always been a debate over which interface is more powerful: a keyboard or a control pad. We might actually be on the brink of discovering the answer, but like most gaming-related debates, it'll probably live forever in the bowels of the internet.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/8/5289314/valve-working-to-get-dota-2-playable-on-steam-controller]

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Now I can get people in my games who don't speak english on english servers and using a less optimal method of control, thank you based Valve!

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Dear god, I don't want anyone on my team to be using a controller. This is a game that is competitive and community request you play at optimal performance. Using a controller will needlessly handicap your performance, so I guess it'll best if u use the controller not to mention it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
PC people are gonna love when their games support a controller and then get to kick supposed ass against those that do use one.

Queue people once more downplaying the controller, time isn't going to change anytime soon.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Kheapathic said:
Vaccine said:
Now I can get people in my games who don't speak english on english servers and using a less optimal method of control, thank you based Valve!
So get a designated team. 90% of the problem with MOBA's is that they're extremely team based, and so when you're not with a pre-made group you're going to suffer.
I do, it's more a jab at the fact this a terrible idea.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wait, DOTA 2 (and MOBAs in general) are complex for a controller? Are there really that many inputs in these games that a controller cant handle?

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Vaccine said:
Kheapathic said:
Vaccine said:
So get a designated team. 90% of the problem with MOBA's is that they're extremely team based, and so when you're not with a pre-made group you're going to suffer.
Also makes things less interesting as even if you have a 5 man there is a chance someone on the other team would have a controller so it becomes a boring stomp.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
its cool and everything and im happy valve are doing some cool stuff with steam os steam machines and their controls pads its alot of work. But......We are still waiting on that half-life 3 and maybe a proper sequel to Counter-strike. And just some news on some GAMES

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
josemlopes said:
Wait, DOTA 2 (and MOBAs in general) are complex for a controller? Are there really that many inputs in these games that a controller cant handle?
It's not the amount of inputs. Its the lack of precision controllers generally have vs. KB+M. Especially for a game that pretty much controls like an RTS.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
You know what was a good idea? Starcraft 64.

Actually no, that was a terrible idea.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
josemlopes said:
It's not the amount of inputs. Its the lack of precision controllers generally have vs. KB+M. Especially for a game that pretty much controls like an RTS.
Wouldnt the game control almost like any other top down shooter, almost like Diablo 3 does on consoles? Or Torchlight.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Vaccine said:
Kheapathic said:
Vaccine said:
Given a reasonably effective matchmaking system, method of input wouldn't matter. If you were to find yourself stuck playing against people using an inferior control interface in that case then it would mean you need to improve, not that the controller has ruined your game.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
josemlopes said:
At the most basic level; you need the mouse to select units, move the character, move the camera and aim your skills. "QWER DF"(default) for skills and "123456"(lol) or "zxcvbn"(dota2) to use the items. Not to mention "tab" or "°" to show the score board "A" for propper lasthitting/denying, "S" for stoping or animation cancelling(dota2) and things get really nasty when you include the micro required to play certain heroes or use certain items in both Dota2 and LoL. If you want to play something like legacy Invoker that requires 14 keys just for the skills that's just out of the question.

Anyway, I don't think it's impossible, they need to think outside the box. Just mapping the keys on the controller won't be enough, they'll have to add workarounds in the game for a controller interface (a good idea would be mapping the movement on the left trackpad). And for the record, it would be somewhat easier to get that controller working for LoL or Smite than Dota2.

It would have to be something close to Guardians of The Middle Earth on consoles, but a lot less ass.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
josemlopes said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
josemlopes said:
Wouldnt the game control almost like any other top down shooter, almost like Diablo 3 does on consoles? Or Torchlight.
Again, the controls being converted isn't the issue. It's the precision that controllers lack. Keep in mind that DOTA 2 is a very team based game. If even one person using a controller isn't precise, the whole team fails.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Maerx said:
josemlopes said:
And for the record it would be somewhat easier to get that controller working for LoL or Smite than Dota2.

It would have to be something close to Guardians of The Middle Earth on consoles, but a lot less ass.
With emphasis on Smite, lol.

Yeah... Due to it being a super track pad of some sort, you might be able to get the precision bit, but trying to get all the keys DOTA needs onto that controller's gonna be a *****... Though I suppose they could do something like holding the shoulder buttons down to "change" what the right touch pad does, and that gives you 20 options there.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
With emphasis on Smite, lol.

Yeah... Due to it being a super track pad of some sort, you might be able to get the precision bit, but trying to get all the keys DOTA needs onto that controller's gonna be a *****... Though I suppose they could do something like holding the shoulder buttons down to "change" what the right touch pad does, and that gives you 20 options there.
Or something like an item wheel.

They're Valve anyway. Embracing feedback is one of their strengths.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
josemlopes said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
josemlopes said:
Again, the controls being converted isn't the issue. It's the precision that controllers lack. Keep in mind that DOTA 2 is a very team based game. If even one person using a controller isn't precise, the whole team fails.
I assume DotA 2 has a rank based matchmaking system, so you should only be matched with people of a similar skill. If users of controllers are terrible, then they'll get automatched with terrible players of both the mouse and keyboard and the controller variety.

In my HoN experience, lesser skilled players are way less of a hindrance to the team than the asshole who doesn't shut up about lesser skilled players and how they're ruining their stats. Lesser skilled players have the chance to improve, while the assholes will continue to blame everyone but themselves and never learn how to improve.