Valves April fools joke

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Nice touch that when you mouse over the page, everything's proper links to steam's regular page, except for the logo, which links to /troll.htm :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A bit too obvious, don't you think?

A fake teaser trailer would've had a bit more impact, me thinks. Though that might've caused actual outrage.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
anian said:
It's funny because, even though they're on the same engine as TF2, L4D games have constant problems with connection and Valve somehow messed that up and then ignores it for more than 2 years...
It's funny because even though they've been on the forums for a long time, and they've posted in plenty of other threads, certain Escapist members (around since 2008 I might add) somehow still mess up and post very random and off-topic comments and ignore doing so for years.

On topic:

Great troll but I can't help but wonder if the reason Valve has the balls to troll the HL fans so hard is perhaps because they have an actual announcement for us to offset the probable fan shitstorm of a response to this prank (that I personally think is brilliant). Because you know a couple hundred loud internet ragers are gonna take this the wrong way.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
had my roommate tell me about this yesterday, I think its an awesome prank but still mean to the people that really want it to come out, still love valve though

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
viranimus said:
Yeah honestly Im thinking this is a tad more sinister than just valve throwing a gag. As in installing malware onto PCs by tricking people into thinking they are actually on a webpage of valves that it simply looks like valves webpage and tries to run an activeX script as the page loads.

Yeah, look before you link.
I doubt this because all the otehr games on the page link to the steam store, so you can't download anything off the site.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Buretsu said:
Dandark said:
Best April fools joke ever.

Can you actully pay for that? DO you get anything for buying it?
If you click on it, it just takes you to a page with art of Gabe Newell pulling a trollface and a standard "April Fool's!" message.
this one to be exact

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Hehe nothing like winding up fan boys for a laugh, now excuse me while i finish explaining why portal and portal 2 were over hyped and not that great to my bro

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
*tips hat to artist*

OT: We'll get it eventually, remember Valve is one studio. They have the Half Life series, Portal, TF2, and the Left 4 Dead franchises all to make updates and/or sequals to. If we seriously all want these games to get faster developement time, more of us need to ante up, learn how to make games ourselves, and put in our resumes there.

Who's with me?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hazzard said:
viranimus said:
Yeah honestly Im thinking this is a tad more sinister than just valve throwing a gag. As in installing malware onto PCs by tricking people into thinking they are actually on a webpage of valves that it simply looks like valves webpage and tries to run an activeX script as the page loads.

Yeah, look before you link.
I doubt this because all the otehr games on the page link to the steam store, so you can't download anything off the site.
You download something off the website the second your on it. It does try to identify and install a plug in of some sort.

Thank god for sandboxing,

Edit: Yes im sure some of the links are indeed valid, Hell thats one of the oldest tricks in the book of virus writers. Go to a trustable webpage, copy that pages source code and then modify the source code to draw people into the point you want them to click. Seeings how the point is to simply get them on the page, mission accomplished.

Not saying this IS virulent. Source code as best as I had patience to check looks fine, Just saying, people have not the slightest clue how the internet works or the damage they do to computers.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Pretty sure cruel and unusual punishments like this are outlawed by the Geneva Convention =\

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
Conisdering that Valve have basically made it clear that there isn't going to be a half life 3, the real joke is that people are still waiting...
Got a source for that?

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
pilouuuu said:
That's not funny at all, especially if they know that we've been waiting so long for it!
I have a feeling it was not valve the website has 2 p's in the address and if this was valve they would have used the real steam store.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Luftwaffles said:
Its not even april fools anymore!!!
They update their site, including all their sales, at a specific time (which I believe is noon in the Pacific time zone, where Valve is located), so that makes me think that they'll remove this at the same time.