Valve's Newell Predicts The Future

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Conduit is third party, Madworld is third party, No More Heroes is third party. That's not Nintendo, that's the companies behind the games. No confirmed first party titles (i.e. the ones that would mean that Nintendo actually were attempting to do anything other than continue to regularly dish out sub-par simulators with no value as games) show a level of depth that you're talking about.
You only really need to look at how games on the DS evolved to realize what's going on. Any game, 3rd party or not that introduces more complex mechanics on the Wii will bring the non-gamer Wii players closer to our level of gaming.
Thats only if we assume that the people buying the Wii now are the exact same people who bought the Ds, which you seem keen to do.
Not necessarily. I mean we obviously have some DS gamers that also have a Wii, I have no doubt that there are many. What Nintendo did with the DS was release some very basic games that had appeal to those who have never touched a video game before. They then went on to introduce some pretty advanced multiplayer games. We got Mario Kart DS, and of course the Zelda game. I'm not sure what else is slated for release on the DSi, but you can be sure that it's not a load of mini-games.

Despite their rather lame presentation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIjEnPJflQ] I was rather impressed with the sword fighting. I actually look forward to the Wii Motion plus. Now a lot of people are dismissing this peripheral as a band-aid fix to the Wii-mote's mediocre motion recognition. Personally I think it's simply an add-on that adds a crapload more functionality to the Wii-mote.

You'll also notice in this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs] demo some more of Wii Motion Plus' tracking abilities. To me it's clear that this isn't really a fix but a huge upgrade for the Wii. Conduit will support Wii Motion plus in some way, most likely to refine the controls somewhat. Of course the games that take full advantage of it haven't been announced yet.

Anyways, Nintendo's idea to introduce non-gamers to the world of gaming works. I mean let's face it, if Nintendo was to only release more games like Wii Sports, or Wii Play people would get bored and stop buying them so really it just makes sense for them to have more complicated games come out on the Wii.

Soulreaverm

Jan 15, 2009
sheic99 said:
Jumplion said:
sheic99 said:
bue519 said:
FREQUENT CONTENT UPDATES!!!! WHERE IS EPISODE 3!!!
But, I do like the updates that valve hands out for games like TF2 and Left4Dead. Although I would appreciate it if they released an SDK for Left4Dead.
The SDK is coming out in the spring and as for Episode 3, I believe that's due sometime in the winter.
Of 2011.

Seriously, the frequency of VALVe delaying their games is a lot to put it nicely. It's fun to ZING their date lines :D
Well, I've heard anywhere from '09-'22, so I guess when they feel like it.
As long as it's absolutely awesome when it's finished, i don't care how long it takes.
And Valve won't release it until it's absolutely awesome. As for release dates, remember Half Life 2? Gabe is never giving out a release date again :)

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Conduit is third party, Madworld is third party, No More Heroes is third party. That's not Nintendo, that's the companies behind the games. No confirmed first party titles (i.e. the ones that would mean that Nintendo actually were attempting to do anything other than continue to regularly dish out sub-par simulators with no value as games) show a level of depth that you're talking about.
You only really need to look at how games on the DS evolved to realize what's going on. Any game, 3rd party or not that introduces more complex mechanics on the Wii will bring the non-gamer Wii players closer to our level of gaming.
Thats only if we assume that the people buying the Wii now are the exact same people who bought the Ds, which you seem keen to do.
Not necessarily. I mean we obviously have some DS gamers that also have a Wii, I have no doubt that there are many. What Nintendo did with the DS was release some very basic games that had appeal to those who have never touched a video game before. They then went on to introduce some pretty advanced multiplayer games. We got Mario Kart DS, and of course the Zelda game. I'm not sure what else is slated for release on the DSi, but you can be sure that it's not a load of mini-games.

Despite their rather lame presentation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIjEnPJflQ] I was rather impressed with the sword fighting. I actually look forward to the Wii Motion plus. Now a lot of people are dismissing this peripheral as a band-aid fix to the Wii-mote's mediocre motion recognition. Personally I think it's simply an add-on that adds a crapload more functionality to the Wii-mote.

You'll also notice in this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs] demo some more of Wii Motion Plus' tracking abilities. To me it's clear that this isn't really a fix but a huge upgrade for the Wii. Conduit will support Wii Motion plus in some way, most likely to refine the controls somewhat. Of course the games that take full advantage of it haven't been announced yet.

Anyways, Nintendo's idea to introduce non-gamers to the world of gaming works. I mean let's face it, if Nintendo was to only release more games like Wii Sports, or Wii Play people would get bored and stop buying them so really it just makes sense for them to have more complicated games come out on the Wii.
The lacklustre sales of No More Heroes disagrees - the truth is that a large portion of the Wii fanbase are buying it only for things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit - they have no incentive to advance, and probably won't.
But wasn't that Suda 51's best selling game to date? His games seem to have a string of lack luster games that appeal to the more hard core crowd.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Soulreaverm said:
sheic99 said:
Jumplion said:
sheic99 said:
bue519 said:
But, I do like the updates that valve hands out for games like TF2 and Left4Dead. Although I would appreciate it if they released an SDK for Left4Dead.
The SDK is coming out in the spring and as for Episode 3, I believe that's due sometime in the winter.
Of 2011.

Seriously, the frequency of VALVe delaying their games is a lot to put it nicely. It's fun to ZING their date lines :D
As long as it's absolutely awesome when it's finished, i don't care how long it takes.
And Valve won't release it until it's absolutely awesome. As for release dates, remember Half Life 2? Gabe is never giving out a release date again :)
Alright then, keep getting your hopes up for Duke Nukem Forever ;)

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Soulreaverm said:
sheic99 said:
Jumplion said:
sheic99 said:
bue519 said:
Of 2011.

And Valve won't release it until it's absolutely awesome.
Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2 would beg to differ.
Episode 1 was alright, it wasn't amazing but you have to admit that Episode 2 was a lot better. I mean I loved Episode 2. Then again, maybe playing them on your PS3 was a mistake. :p

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Blah Blah Blah. All I hear is more of Valve with their foot shoved in their mouth again.

GO BACK TO MAKING EPISODE 3, YOU MORONS.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Concept art is good: There's nothing that builds a better "buzz" than seeing things in development. It also gets you in touch with your consumer base.

Ummmmm....ok. I agree. So how about some Episode 3 concept art?