Valve's Steam Deck

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Obviously this will come with inconvenience of getting Windows (£120 for law abiding citizens) and then doing things to Windows so that you don't have to plug a keyboard in every time you want to use it, so this is probably something for more niche users.

That said this is probably going to be an indie game machine like the Switch and a lot of them have Linux support anyway so spotty support for Windows games may not be that much of an issue.
As Dwarvenhobble pointed out already, Windows does have support for touchscreens, but you're probably still right that turning a Steam Deck into a portable Windows pc is a level of tinkering beyond what most people interested in a handheld console would be willing to. Possibly many pc gamers too, for that matter.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
As Dwarvenhobble pointed out already, Windows does have support for touchscreens, but you're probably still right that turning a Steam Deck into a portable Windows pc is a level of tinkering beyond what most people interested in a handheld console would be willing to. Possibly many pc gamers too, for that matter.
One of consoles biggest strength is convenience and the deck seems to lack this if you really want to get everything out of it

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
One of consoles biggest strength is convenience and the deck seems to lack this if you really want to get everything out of it
Realistically you won't have to get everything out of it to have a good experience though, since it'll have compatibility with a lot of games out of the box, it'll just offer more to the people willing to put the effort in.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Its crazy that if you look at the specs, its claiming it will be more powerful that the GPD WIN 3 which just came out and is like $1300 dollars. Value is gonna take a huge loss on this one even if it sells well. They are all in on this one.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Linus has a good vid with a hands on with an early model.
That's cool and almost gets me excited until I remember I have literally no use case for it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's cool and almost gets me excited until I remember I have literally no use case for it.
Yeah, thats the annoying thing, I really want one and I did get an early preorder but... I don't travel much and I have a powerful desktop so its more of a neat thing that I would have to find a use for, then something I have a need for.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Rezzing this thread as it's supposed to release in two weeks.

I got my reservation the day it went live. Took me a straight Hour of plugging away and I finally got through.

You know, I don't think people have talked about what the Steam Deck is. I mean, we talked about Specs. We talked about Nintendo being afraid. But I don't think i've seen anyone talk about what the Deck is.

It's a Clap Back. A horribly powerful one at that. People kept wondering what Steam was actually going to do against Epic. Epic kept pouring money into developers to get exclusives first and to try to eat up Steam's edge. And for a while, it seemed to be working. People just wondered why Steam was silent.

Silence meant work. If the Deck can run my current library, the hell with everything else. I'm going getting a ps5 now for the psvr 2. If the deck is even half way decent, this will be a win the likes of which Epic will have to scramble to make up for.

... not really, they still have Fortnite. Deck is still a huge Clap Back, though.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

I got my reservation the day it went live. Took me a straight Hour of plugging away and I finally got through.

You know, I don't think people have talked about what the Steam Deck is. I mean, we talked about Specs. We talked about Nintendo being afraid. But I don't think i've seen anyone talk about what the Deck is.

It's a Clap Back. A horribly powerful one at that. People kept wondering what Steam was actually going to do against Epic. Epic kept pouring money into developers to get exclusives first and to try to eat up Steam's edge. And for a while, it seemed to be working. People just wondered why Steam was silent.

Silence meant work. If the Deck can run my current library, the hell with everything else. I'm going getting a ps5 now for the psvr 2. If the deck is even half way decent, this will be a win the likes of which Epic will have to scramble to make up for.

... not really, they still have Fortnite. Deck is still a huge Clap Back, though.
It's a PC, you can download games from the Epic store to play on it as well.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It seems awesome. I'm glad I got my preorder in on the first day for the expensive model.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Not really this is Valve's latest bizarre move in what used to be called in tech "The war for the living room".

The idea being that many companies want to be "The one" to dominate the living room and own all the market associated with it one way or another.

It's why so many companies suddenly are getting into gaming more. Amazon, Google Apple. All suddenly also having games that are meant to work with their devices.

Valve was sort of in this war too with the Steam machines and Steam link only it was trying to go the other way. Ever wonder why films were appearing on Steam for a while then Valve just sort of dropped that idea? War for the Living room only Valve being a gaming company were trying to work the opposite way and ever into the TV and film sales game which Apple, Amazon and Google are already pretty established in with I'd bet them being the main 3 in terms of market share for digital sales of TV and films, well them and Vudu in the USA and maybe Sky in the UK.

The Steam deck honestly I'd say was Valve trying to enter the portable market because well it's pretty wide open and waiting for competition right now with Nintendo dominating so much that no-one else will go near it really other than some small time competitors. Also it's an alternative of sorts to the Steam Machine idea as you can plug the Steam deck into a monitor / screen apparently and use it like a fairly powerful little PC.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Steam deck honestly I'd say was Valve trying to enter the portable market because well it's pretty wide open and waiting for competition right now with Nintendo dominating so much that no-one else will go near it really other than some small time competitors. Also it's an alternative of sorts to the Steam Machine idea as you can plug the Steam deck into a monitor / screen apparently and use it like a fairly powerful little PC.
Not really, I mean Valve is trying to get into the portable market, but there are actually lots of competitors there, none of them have really made much of a splash though aside from Nintendo. We had the stadia thing, we had nvidias handheld thing, we have other switch like pc things. The thing that really sets the steam deck apart is cost and Valve making their own os for it. Most of the devices that are close to the steam deck run windows and are priced close to a laptop, the steam deck is priced like a console where Valve might not be losing money on each unit sold, but the margins have to suck and they hope to makeup for it with game sales, which they will.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
It's a PC, you can download games from the Epic store to play on it as well.
I get that. You can get anything on it.

But it's still a response that outstrips the Epic store and it's buying up timed exclusives. Because you're either giving money to steam by buying the games from Steam, or buying the system itself.