Vancouver Rioting?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
People wonder why I don't follow sports... it's because I keep seeing these news stories.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
They're only rioting because it was expected of them, I was more worried about what would happen if they won. It's sad and a bad reflection on them and the sport, the people that started it aren't real fans, same way I feel that those who booed during the cup presentation aren't real hockey fans. mostly it's the mob mentality causing the problem, if everyone just walked away quietly instead of running and encouraging the idiots...

Sheppard

Apr 9, 2008
Really, to only people who are rioting are people who went down just to riot, without caring about the game.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Well it happened back in 1994 too. I'm not surprised about this, I was actually expecting it by the 3rd Period. At least in 1994 it was in New York, but now. They won the President's Trophy, were favorites to win it all, and now got blown out in Game 7, It was a foregone conclusion

HyperDalek

May 30, 2011
Speaking as a Vancouver resident and a Canucks fan, yeah we lost but...so what? We came in second. that's pretty darn good. I don't see the need to a(damage our beautiful city. b( cause a whole lot of damage and possibly injure someone. c(embarrass the Canucks any further. I for one am sad to see them lose but come September I'm still gonna cheer them on. GO CANUCKS GO! and rioters...GTFO! You're gonna hurt someone.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
So...

Living in Boston (area), you all cannot imagine the riot prevention that had to take place before this. I mean, quite literally, bars closed after second half started, windows were blacked out, cars were removed, and police were posted every few feet.

The only reason Boston didn't riot (in a good, Boston-y type way) is because there was simply no way to do it/nothing to do it against.

Halvhir

Oct 25, 2009
Camaranth said:
They're only rioting because it was expected of them, I was more worried about what would happen if they won. It's sad and a bad reflection on them and the sport, the people that started it aren't real fans, same way I feel that those who booed during the cup presentation aren't real hockey fans. mostly it's the mob mentality causing the problem, if everyone just walked away quietly instead of running and encouraging the idiots...
(emphasis mine)

I was actually curious about this and looked it up, they weren't booing the cup presentation, they were booing the NHL commissioner. Once he handed it over to Chara they started cheering again (or at least stopped booing). The NHL commish is booed in many arenas he appears in due to unpopularity and two lockouts under his tenure, according to the Holy Gospel Wikipedia.

That said, I'm not really surprised about the rioting. They go to major lengths to prevent that crap here in Boston these days too, much of it enacted after any major postseason sporting event ever since a college student died during a riot after game seven in the 2004 Red Sox ALCS series. There was a massive public safety undertaking tonight in the streets.

I stay way the hell away from the city on days like this, the little bar and diner in my home town is plenty loud enough when I feel like going out on a game night.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
I've never understood the reason for rioting after a major team wins or loses a championship. I mean after the Red Sox finally won the World Series after 86 years the most I did was run down the street screaming in excitement. Granted I was only 12 at the time so I really couldn't go into the city and party at all, but even if I was 21 the most I'd do would be hitting the bars and screaming "Yankees Suck" up and down Yawkey Way.

JJMUG

Jan 23, 2010
We did not riot in Buffalo in 99 and we were cheated out of that cup.
Comon Vancouver

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Halvhir said:
Camaranth said:
(emphasis mine)

I was actually curious about this and looked it up, they weren't booing the cup presentation, they were booing the NHL commissioner. Once he handed it over to Chara they started cheering again (or at least stopped booing). The NHL commish is booed in many arenas he appears in due to unpopularity and two lockouts under his tenure, according to the Holy Gospel Wikipedia.
Ah that makes much more sense, I noticed they were cheering or at least applauding/acknowledging (most of) the Boston players so I was a little confused as well, Thanks for sharing :)

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Goddammit guys, you're ruining it for everyone.

Made worst by the fact that most the members of the Boston team are Canadian anyways... XD Though I doubt they were thinking that straight.

At least the stadium seems pretty cool, cheering on people. XD Booing the commissioner.