Vancouver, worse than it seems.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Vancouver has turned to mayhem, after losing the Stanley cup. I live just a boat ride from the city, and it's all that's on the news. These riots are crazy, there's everything from cars being set on fire to attempted suicides, and people getting gang beaten for no reason. Shops are being vandalized, there are looters trying to steal anything they can that will cause more damage. There are riot cops in full gear trying to contain crowds, not even rubber bullets have deterred them stop this mess. Anything that the cops can legally throw at them tear gas, attack dogs, I've heard rumors of fire hoses. There were a few news reporters who were stuttering with fear, the only one I saw had been close to an explosion, and seemed extremely shaken up. So, for discussion, what do you think of this? Does anyone know anything else about it? Why do you think people behave this way?

*EDIT* I can see the rioting and fires through a low powered telescope that I just happen to own.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
It's probably much worse for those who actually live there...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I find the suicides pretty surprising.

I can see getting caught up in mass hysteria and mob rules agreeing to destroy a lot of things.

But Suicide is something that is well, a solo affair, and well, If I were to commit suicide I think I would want it to be for something more important than a hockey game.

/sigh, but alas, some truly have no grip on reality.

Apr 28, 2008
Suicide? Really? For coming in second place?

Wow.

I really doubt people were trying to commit suicide. Probably just a rumor that got a boost because of the rioting.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Alas, this was sadly inevitable.

I live in Victoria now, but I was born in Vancouver and I remember the same thing happening back in '94.

As noted above: some people are just idiots. This should not reflect on the real fans and certainly not on the Canucks, who played an amazing season AND playoffs.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
wow

are there really 2 people in this thread who live on the island plus me?

Hi friends!!lol

HyperDalek

May 30, 2011
Dimitriov said:
some people are just idiots. This should not reflect on the real fans and certainly not on the Canucks, who played an amazing season AND playoffs.
Thank you for recognizing the Canucks' effort. I feel really sorry for them having to suffer a loss and then their city ruin its reputation on a continental stage.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Some people will look for any reason to riot. The funny thing is it would be no different had they won. Whether the excuse is anger or euphoria, they'll still riot.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
The fires are so bad you can see them from just about anywhere. I live in North Vancouver and I walked out of work at 9:30. The sky was just black over downtown. It's 1994 all over again.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
I was hoping the Canucks would take the Cup, but really? I've never been so caught up in either winning or losing, and riots due to either outcome of a sporting event just don't seem like cause to disregard one's humanity.

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
Being someone from B.C. I have to say that the people rioting in Vancouver are fucking idiots, and it's embarrassing. Though I really think you're exaggerating in your description, the few people getting beaten were resiting arrest, and all the reporters I've seen/heard are pretty calm.

As for why people do this? They're just assholes looking for an excuse to riot.

Altorin said:
wow

are there really 2 people in this thread who live on the island plus me?

Hi friends!!lol
Vancouver island? Yeah bro, represent! I'm from Campbell River. It's surprising to see people posting who live so close.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I'm talking with my friend about it over twitter. He lives there, and it doesn't look good

I do have to wonder if this would have occured if they had won though?

Judgmentalist

Oct 31, 2010
I am un-proud to have attention drawn to my resident city on this happy occasion. And before you ask, this is the real face of Vancouver coming out. If you visit here, you will see a lot of mentally absent, seemingly flaky happy people, who hide THIS sort of thing inside of them.

Is it any wonder no one wants to move here anymore?

I apologize on behalf of the city.

Judgmentalist

Oct 31, 2010
Bobbety said:
Being someone from B.C. I have to say that the people rioting in Vancouver are fucking idiots, and it's embarrassing. Though I really think you're exaggerating in your description, the few people getting beaten were resiting arrest, and all the reporters I've seen/heard are prett
Bobbety said:
Being someone from B.C. I have to say that the people rioting in Vancouver are fucking idiots, and it's embarrassing. Though I really think you're exaggerating in your description, the few people getting beaten were resiting arrest, and all the reporters I've seen/heard are pretty calm.
I don't think they're tlaking about those the cops have beaten. They're talking about those who have been beaten by others in the mob, which is LOTS as of this posting. My brother was down there applying first aid and body guard duties to some dude with a bleeding eye and 2 terrified young women. He's missing work because he stayed to help. It's really a fucking nightmare down there.

Watch the news online; it's pretty awful.

Also, all public transit has stopped downtown. Not only are there too many hysterical people in one place, they now have no real way of leaving.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Well, the attempted suicides are probably a result of the loss (some people are huge sports fans), which is just escalated by the violence and rioting, as opposed to the actual rioting, which is more like a viral behaviour (I think people also call it mob mentality). I've never been in a riot situation before, so I have no first hand experience, but I don't think I'd get involved (most of my friends would, something about being a male teenager that I can't seem to grasp[footnote]I'm a male teenager, so I think I just missed the memo[/footnote]).

EDIT: Actually, something I have always wanted to know is how mob mentality can somehow overrule basic compassion and empathy. I mean, at what point does what essentially amounts to peer pressure and a lack of consequence make people lose sight of their fellow man/woman?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Man, for all the bad rap the US gets for being violent -- and for being way too interested in things like high school sports -- I've never heard of rioting over a sports game. Parents getting into a fist fight because their kid lost a little league game, sure. But Canadian or European style rioting because some team lost? Never. I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, it's just something that's always confused me -- if Canadians and Europeans are so much less violent than Americans, why is it that we don't have sports riots over here?

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
I feel bad for the team. Not only do they have to deal with the loss, but I imagine they somehow feel responsible for this idiocy, and thus more disgusted than the rest of us.