Velociraptor attacks

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Larenxis said:
(Actually there's a book about how Jurassic Park couldn't happen. I haven't read it, because I don't suck.)

Sorry if I haven't read all the posts, but how many velociraptors are we talking about?
Enough to rip your face off before you even knew they were coming.

There are that many.

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
Kovash86 said:
Oh and wikipedia states that the velociraptor was actually about the size of a chicken which is fairly harmless to a human, the things in Jurassic park are something completely different.
That's why I put in that photo (for comedic effect). And, yes, I do know the actual size of chickens aren't that large.

Alotak

May 14, 2008
The thing about them is that we are able to clome things from DNA but the clones have a very short life span, only 2 or 3 years but if said raptors escaped into the forests in america or the jungles in south america, then they would breed and there children would be normal raptors with new cells.
Does anyone know what happened when boar was introduced into the land of Aus and cane toads, they would destroy the foodchain and become the top predator, within two years we would not be able to go into the jungels or woods without lots of guns.
Mace may stop a solitary bear if your lucky but a pack of 10 to 30 raptors your boned.

Edit; Also the main genetic research into reviveing prehistoric creature is to splice the gene with the most related modern creature. And for Dinos this is birds, Now think about the experiments perhaps resulting in a winged raptor, then if it escaped along with a normal one?
What if the wing gene was prominant? HELECOPTERS ARE NO LONGER A VIABLE OPTION!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Rumor has it that Lev Nikolai Tolstoy favored riding raptors over horses, but this exiting new development has yet to be confirmed.

Fun fact: Contrary to popular belief Jurassic Park did occure in real life, but the movie is a cover up. The real incident happened in north-eastern Maine.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Lazy Lemon said:
Anyone who uses the argument that they don't exist has obviously never seen Jurrassic Park. It could happen quite easily, and when it does, we'll be the ones that don't exist anymore.
yes it could happen but is very unlikely.
movies that arn't based on actual events or arn't documentaries arn't very good for saying what could happen.

cloning an animal requires a complete gene to place inside an empty egg. now if it is a living animal then that is easy because there are many of them

if you wanted to clone an extict animal it would be tougher because you still need a complete gene which would be harder to get. skeletons of dinosaures are not really the bones, they are materials which replaced the bone when it finally started to decompose.

And you could use some DNA from a living animal but then it might not even live because of horrible mutations (or it could be stronger but that is very very very very very unlikely)

And like someone said clones only live to be 2 or 3 years which may not even be time for the clone to reach breading age and have normal offspring

And last. the world today is much different from the time they lived. The temperature (it was much warmer back then); the oxygen level (it was much higher); the pray, it would take completely different tactics to catch modern pray; and the biggest killer, modern bacteria and diseases, these would kill a dinosaure as soon as it was born, and if it was born in a lab, as soon as it went outside, just because the air has bacteria in it now that wasn't present when they were alive so there body would have no defence against it.

So to learn all this it would have to evolve to be smaller (oxygen levels), more cunning (new pray), and have a completely new immune system.
And it would have to evolve to do all this in one generation which, to put it simply, DOESN'T HAPPEN. Weather in nature or in a lab.

Hah. I use logic. So SHUT UP!

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
we actually have the technolgy to reverse engineer dinosaurs, manipulating the proteins that control the growth of different traits. When a chick is in the gg it has more vertibrea in the tail, teeth, scales, and hands. So theoretically they could make an emusaurus.

The imune system brings up antoher point to why this couldn't happen, thought this thread is JUST FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES, the new diseases would do to the dinosaurs liek they did the native americans (I can joke about it...you can't whitey [har-har]).

but why neccesarily velociraptors? I'm more worried about deinonychus or utahraptor then velociraptors, they're they same size as my dogs.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
PurpleRain said:
shatnershaman said:
Hey they aren't smart.
"It is more probable that, while intelligent by dinosaur standards, they were less intelligent than modern big cats"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor#Predatory_behavior

My modern day cat always falls for the laser pointer trick. I don't have much hope for a dinosaur avoiding planes.
Scientific mumbo-jumbo. Obviously, they've never faced against the queen Velociraptor.

What you need to do is secure your house. Bourding the windows may provied only temporary defence. They can just as easily brake through wood and glass. Destroying the staircase is usless as they could climb or jump it depending on the size. And of course they can open door knobs...
Dammit, Purple, you're worse than Randall Munroe.

bunkymag

Jun 11, 2008
Lol the perfect thread.. people were taking it seriously halfway down the first page.. nice work Mr. PurpleRain.

Velociraptors are also among the funniest dinosaurs to imitate (see Whose Line is it Anyway?)

Kovash86

May 23, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
Kovash86 said:
Oh and wikipedia states that the velociraptor was actually about the size of a chicken which is fairly harmless to a human, the things in Jurassic park are something completely different.
This is clearly misinformation spread by raptor sympathizers to lull us into a false sense of security. Are you one of them?

- J
I don't have sympathy for anything I can mimic it but I don't have regular sympathy, even when I'm watching T.V. and I see a guy get hit in the crotch my only response is "I'm glad I'm not stupid enough to try what he just did." when the world trade center was hit on 9/11 I didn't think "Oh those poor people." I thought "Who's ass needs to be kicked?", if I didn't have sympathy for that then I damn sure don't have any for a long dead creature.

The monopoly guy: he said velociraptors not Utah raptors those are two completely different creatures, the Utah raptor is still bigger than what they showed in Jurassic park.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
the monopoly guy said:
thought this thread is JUST FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES
Sorry if I got off the point of the thread but it got anoying when people started saying stuff like the Raptor Jesus or other kind of shit like that.

And when people started saying it will happen or it is happening and TRIED to use facts to prove it.

I know I turned into a fact using person but stop saying a raptor will jump out of your computer if you type the wrong thing.

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Kovash86 said:
I don't have sympathy for anything I can mimic it but I don't have regular sympathy, even when I'm watching T.V. and I see a guy get hit in the crotch my only response is "I'm glad I'm not stupid enough to try what he just did."
Really? I usually laugh maniacally for a while and thinks he probably deserved it. Then afterwards I giggle a little and mumble "natural selection".

Anyway if any raptors we're trying to get me I'd prep my house in a good way. Instead of bording up the windows I'd put sharpened sticks behind them pointing forwards so when they jump in they pierce themselves on them. I'd also rig up a lot of traps like knives falling down from the roof, stairs falling apart and dumping the things in the basement. Replace myself with a rubber doll in my size sitting on the two gas tanks in the garage. Then I'd set up a simple electronic remote trigger, write something clever on the wall ("It's too bad you can't read this, because it would be really fun", or something to that effect.) Then I'd sit on the huge chimney a while away, get a webcam filming me and my house, say "Boom!" and press a big red button (which probably wouldn't do anything, and I'd have to trigger the explosion with something else behind my back, but it'd look cool). Then I'd quote a lot of cool characters from video games when all the little pieces were falling down everywhere. "They're going to have to glue YOU back togheter. In HELL!"

Kovash86

May 23, 2008
Natural selection would imply that his genitalia were removed or he died, both of which I would approve of but didn't happen in that scenario. Raptors wouldn't care about that doll of yourself they can smell the lack of meat on such a thing.