Venting About Valve Again

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
lwm3398 said:
Signa said:
I don't throw this word around lightly, but entitled much? Valve doesn't owe you HL3, and hating them because they haven't announced it is like hating your mom for not cooking a dinner you wanted.

As far as the "mortal sin" goes, depends on who's responding to you, and what you said. Your position in this thread isn't a very strong one.
I don't think he meant his HL3 comment to be taken that way. He isn't annoyed that Valve hasn't announced it; he's annoyed that Valve has been basically teasing its fans for years. They occasionally feed into rumors and speculation when there's no intention of actually announcing the game. I don't see that as a reason to hate Valve since they're probably not doing it for the sole purpose of annoying fans, but I can see why he might.
They don't tease their fans, nor do they feed rumors.
EThree comes around and they say they aren't announcing Half Life Three, so people assume that there is some sort of secret message hidden in the coding for the video being released and come up with a pattern of numbers by random. Valve then says this has no merit because they aren't announcing Half Life Three.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
You missed the point. Have you never asked yourself why you need to be constantly online to play your games?

And in order to use said offline mode you first have to be connected to the internet so it's not really an offline mode after all. Even if you ignore the option is notoriously "buggy". I use the term lightly because Valve had a reason for implementing it as an afterthought.

Again, that's not the point. Why should you have to use the app in order to play your games? Why not make using it optional? Why would Valve force you to depend on a piece of software they made in order to play your games? No other DD service does this.
Why should i complain about HAVING to use something i like? Why would i be unhappy being forced to do something easy and not even note worthy? Ive never cared because its never raised a single issue with me. Hating being forced to use it is like hating having a coffee shops where all hot chocolates MUST have marshmallows! Sure for others its weird if they dont like them and i often ask "why must i have marshmallows" but i dont care. I LIKE marshmallows. If you dont then dont shop here. I like marshmallows so i dont care. Why would i randomly make a fuss about something that has zero impact on me "just because" the system works and benefits me, so why care?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
Why should you be constantly online to play games?

Why should you be forced to use an external applications to play the games you purchased?

Whether you are capable of being constantly online because you have a decent internet connections or that you don't mind having your games wired through and dependant on an external application is irrelevant. I'm not asking you whether you're OK with these things, I'm asking you what the point is.
The simple answer is that its DRM that rewards the user rather than punishes them. The app is unintrusive (unlike an anal probe) and cant lead to anything malicious (unlike an anal probe) and is also totally my choice to use or by from (unlike an anal probe).

I put up with these small negatives because i accept DRM is a usefull tool against piracy when used right. Steam is using it right. I dont mind DRM if it helps me and helps the developer also.

Youve asked me why i accept these negatives. The answer that the negatives dont affect me and the positives outweigh the negatives is a good reason to accept them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If you love a company, you're doing something wrong.

Also, use of the word "steal" here is a meaningless appeal to emotion. That will probably label me a Valve fanboy, which is ironic.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Can you tell us why valve is full of shit? I couldnt care less about gabe. I just enjoy their games and have a LOT of money saved on steam. Thats reason enough for me as a consumer to like them.
The problems with Steam should be obvious. For example, why is it that you're unable to play games you purchased using Steam without being connected to the internet and having the Steam app installed? Incidentally, no other DD service aside from Origin does this. Let me repeat that, no other DD service aside from Origin, powered by the fucking satan of video games, does this.
I love how often i have to bring this up. The online startup confirmation is not enforced by Steam, its an option which developers and publishers can use at thier discretion.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Vivi22 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
I'm on a DIFFERENT account, though. That's the whole reason I had to uninstall Steam in the first place.
This makes no sense to me for two reasons though. First, even if your old email was gone, there's no reason you should have had to set up a new account. You could easily have set up a new email account on your Steam so long as you knew your password. If not then you'd be out of luck, but that would be your fault, not Valve's.

Second, you did not have to uninstall Steam to use another account. You can log into different accounts from the same computer and have access to the games purchased on those accounts.

As for your supposed losses, you're just flat out wrong. Half-Life and your TF2 items are still tied to your old account. Log into your old account and you'll still have all of them. And if you can eventually get a hold of Valve to help with the Deus Ex issue, you'll have that on this new account as well.

Sorry, but all of the supposed issues and losses you've suffered sound like they either don't exist or are the result of error on your part.

To that end, I'll add that I agree with everything Gigastar said.
You summed it up nicely.

And no, OP, I really see very little emotional or other nonsensical responses to the item you posted yourself. You post it here, people respond to it. If you intend to keep not liking what people tell you, you have either the option of not posting things or trying to figure out why the responses tend to not go in your favour. Valve is - to date - not evil, and Valve did not make you lose access to that old/obsolete/defunct email address of yours.

Also, if OP did indeed lose both access to an old email address AND the Valve account password, then it's two substantial faults on OP's behalf.

It's just superbly bad management, and trying to keep blaming Valve for OP's own mistakes/laziness/not giving a damn is really bad style.

The fault of somehow losing access to an email-address linked to an account is a userland problem. User decided not to bother to contact support and have email address updated/changed, user decided to set up a new account. Not sure why any stuff bought with one account should miraculously pop up in the other, new account. I have not yet heard of moving one accounts contents to another account outside of hacking.

Also, I really wonder why OP seems to not have used Steam forums or Steam support, I would be amazed if his issues would not get proper responses and solutions there. This 'venting' seems to want to cast a bit of a shadow on Valve, but that shadow belongs to either OP's ego or OP's unwillingness to play by the rules.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
gigastar said:
I love how often i have to bring this up. The online startup confirmation is not enforced by Steam, its an option which developers and publishers can use at thier discretion.
Are you saying publishers/developers are the ones who are restricting users from accessing their accounts unless they're connected to the internet? Because that doesn't exactly make things any better.
Yes, i am. Ive seen a developer go on record that thier publisher was forcing them to apply the Steam online startup confirmation to thier games on release. Pleasingly said developer has always patched out the startup confirmation thing post release. And i have been able to play thier games without an internet whether Steam was in online or offline mode.

Now the only reason you would need an internet connection to play all of thier current games is to be able to access a Steam-exclusive difficulty mode that autodeletes the save file when you die in game. If youre wondering i would charitably call it a challenge mode.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Wolverine18 said:
Sometimes I don't think posters know what the word "stealing" means.

Sometimes they also like to blame others for their own shortcomings.
Yes, it's true that I made mistakes because I'm not a fucking computer genius, but isn't the point of Steam supposed to be ease-of-use? These kinds of user errors shouldn't be this easy, and the fact that I don't know the inside of my computer tower like the back of my hand shouldn't render me incapable of using such a basic service.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Okay, wasn't it a given that you already lost your items once your email had gone defunct? That's not Steam's fault really it's yours for letting an important email address tied to money and property die.
Also i'm pretty sure most PC gamers know that while a game may not work immediately, any problem can usually be solved by a quick google search. It's pretty rare for me to have a PC game that works automatically without having to make a few tweaks. Also it's generally up to the consumer to make sure the product works on their computer, whenever you buy a retail PC game I always get asked whether I know my pc and specs are up to scratch to play the game. The same generally goes for online.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
bigfatcarp93 said:
Spitfire said:
Why? Do you receive an error message?
Yeah, it says "Unable to Find Steam."

WTF?
Well, I've looked around the internet for a bit (i.e. I ran two searches on Google), and I've managed to come up with 3 potential solutions for this issue:

1.Restart Steam (fairly obvious).

2.The complicated way [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26798133&postcount=4].

This will solve a bug that's apparently affecting a number of older games on Steam. However, if you don't plan on playing a whole lot of those, you can ignore this, and try the next thing.

3.The easy way. [http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm#downloads]

This is a mod that is pretty much essential for running Deus Ex on a modern system, and you should install it anyway.

Hope that helps.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Spitfire said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Spitfire said:
Why? Do you receive an error message?
Yeah, it says "Unable to Find Steam."

WTF?
Well, I've looked around the internet for a bit (i.e. I ran two searches on Google), and I've managed to come up with 3 potential solutions for this issue:

1.Restart Steam (fairly obvious).

2.The complicated way [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26798133&postcount=4].

This will solve a bug that's apparently affecting a number of older games on Steam. However, if you don't plan on playing a whole lot of those, you can ignore this, and try the next thing.

3.The easy way. [http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm#downloads]

This is a mod that is pretty much essential for running Deus Ex on a modern system, and you should install it anyway.

Hope that helps.
Okay, "Restart Steam", what exactly does that entail? How would I go about that?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MasochisticAvenger said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Finally the gamer attitude of "I'm not responsible for my own stupid mistakes" comes full circle against gaming's favorite snuggle-bunny.

I want everyone to know that I called it!
People have always bitched about Valve. You just don't see it as often, since so many people love and religiously defend them.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a mass amount of comments blasting the OP for speaking negatively about Valve. I mean, aside from the Original Poster himself, the comments have been rather mature.

I think someone should do a test. Come up with two similar scenarios - one involving Steam/Valve and one involving EA/Origin - and see what the comments for each are like. It would be interesting, if nothing else.
It really wouldn't be that interesting. Just go look at the ToS changes thread for each, where they included the clauses about no more class action suits.

EA was hailed as Satan, and Valve was applauded as making a smart business move.

It's beyond cringe worthy.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
The simple answer is that its DRM that rewards the user rather than punishes them.
How does it reward the user?

Seeing as you're forced to use it if you want to access your games that's debatable.

Apart from voiding your legal rights that is.

But Steam doesn't stop piracy, even games using Steam exclusively are regularly cracked. Just look at Civ5. Even if it did, piracy is a non issue.

How does steam help developers and how does it help you?

I never asked you that, I asked you what the point of them was.
In order:

It rewards the user by having useful properties to the app.

You dont have to buy any of your games through steam, its your choice to use this third party to save you money.

The day my legal rights are voided ill get upset, until then i have every reason to believe they wont be.

Steam does work at rather effective DRM, im gonna use anicdotal evidence but the cheapness of sales means my few very pirate-y friends actually buy games to use on steam rather than pirate them. It helps me through the many positive aspects ive already listed that i wouldnt get had i just gone to the shop and bought it on CD.

You need to be online once to validate your game for offline play. You say that doesnt count as offline but seeing as you need to download the games through steam to use steam youre gonna need internet anyway. Steam is for people with internet, internet long enough to download a game. If you dont have ANY internet you cant use steam. If you have some internet download a game, leave the internet up for a few mins after it downloads and offline play is yours. I mean saying its unfair you need internet to use an online provider is a bit silly. The constant internet isnt required to play your games, offline mode does exist.

I can choose not to use steam if i wish, the third party app is optional i can always go buy a game on CD. I can choose to use steam to download single player games, validate them once and then use offline mode forever. The internet part is optional. Honestly no one is being forced to do anything anywhere. Its always a consumers choice.