Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Just one question:

Does Kevin's behavior make him a Marty Stu or a Mary Sue?

This is ground-breaking classification determination here, folks. We have precedents to set.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
Of the three, I'll go with robot. I'd hate for my whole life to be an experiment by European beavers who pretended they were humans raising me in America for Scientific or Fetishistic reasons.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
I'll say it now because its going to be said eventually...*sigh*

Hur hur, he can eat more meat than jug head

Now that that's out of the way. I'm glad to see even a staple reminder of the 50's is making the effort to join the new reality we live in. Kudos to the makers of Archie comics for trying to teach the next generation more tolerance than the last :D
ok I am not going to lie that post made my day

O.T. never really read Archie comics but the inclusion sounds like a publicity stunt

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
MercenaryCanary said:
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not.
Yet another example of the sheer brilliance and wit of the Escapist's writers.
I can't disagree.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I never read or heard of Archie comics, but I haven't read a comic strip outside of the internet since I was 8.

Anyway having an openly gay character in a kids comic is a brilliant idea imo, whether it's a shallow attempt to get ratings or not, its still a step forward. Kids need to learn at a young age that there's nothing wrong with gay people.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Oh come on, that's not a very good way to introduce a gay character. The intro seems wrong, especially him beating Jughead. That's just impossible. Who did they let write that story?

There's no point getting worked up about a character who may or may not stick though.

And at least they didn't re-interpret Jughead as gey.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
why does it matter if there is a gay character or not the only problem I have is that he beat Jughead in an eating contest. it's madness!!!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Sylryeth said:
Exactly how old is Archie?
He's been a teenager since the dawn of time. He'll never age or die until someone decapitates him.

Wiki says he's been 17 since 1941.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Hey I resent that robot or raised by beavers thing. First of all, I am/was neither. I've never read a Archie book and can tell you I never intend to.

Second of all, saying someone was raised by beavers like that implies being raised by beavers is bad.

And that is judgmental and anti-beav! You know what that makes you Tom Goldman and by extension all of the Escapist writing staff? Speciest. There I said it.

(Since I can already see people trying to work out Speciest, it is

Species + Racist = Speciest.)

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
yep, the darker and gritter reboot of Archie. It almost saddens me. Sure, this is a huge step forward for people realizing gays are human too and blah blah blah, but they're making a darker and gritter reboot of the frikin' Archie comic book series! And yes, I am happy that they are putting in a gay character, I just find the fact that they have a gritty reboot of Archie as a little off putting. The spinoff Jughead is pretty funny though.

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
CyberKnight said:
Megido said:
Wolfiesden said:
Well, I guess I won't let my granddaughters read Archie. EVER.
Why? Are you afraid they'll turn into gay men?
I thought maybe it was so they wouldn't turn into shallow princesses that drop their fiancés just because they see someone win a burger-eating contest and equate that with "manliness". I mean come on, that's like a plot out of the nineteen fift--- OOOHHH.
If her granddaughters are dumb enough at that point in their lives that they'd dump a fiance for something as trivial as eating hamburgers, then they DESERVE any and all misery that a choice of that nature causes. xD

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Dok Zombie said:
erbkaiser said:
Dok Zombie said:
All I know about Archie comics is from dialogue in Chasing Amy...
That, and the insane The Punisher Meets Archie comic.
Is... Is that a real thing?
[/spoiler]

Incidentally I refuse to consider anything related to Archie on any level beyond superficial humor.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I can remember having read a cover of an Archie comic...when I was a kid, stuck in line at the supermarket with my parents. Methinks the Archie comics is trying to pull in some new readers and desperate for any money it will bring. Seriously, I'm surpised it is still in print.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Starke said:
Sylryeth said:
Exactly how old is Archie?
He's been a teenager since the dawn of time. He'll never age or die until someone decapitates him.

Wiki says he's been 17 since 1941.
Archie is a vampire and soon the Archie comics wil tie in with the Twilight series.