Victim of Technocide

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I definitely agree.

I mean, why do people think that casual PopCap games on PC are doing so much better than games like Crysis or the newest Unreal Tournament?

People can actually play Bookworm Deluxe on their PC.

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
scobie said:
onelifecrisis said:
My real problem with consoles is actually the games themselves. I think I'm not alone in this, given the number PC gamers who describe console games (and console ports) as "dumbed down". But consoles have only (relatively) recently risen to the forefront of gaming, and gaming itself has only recently risen to the forefront of the entertainment industry, and so now we enter into an interesting time: the console gaming generation are growing up, and I wonder whether they will grow out of games or not. If not - meaning, if a significant number want to carry on playing games into their adulthood - then we may see a shift in the consumers towards console games that aren't so "dumbed down", and then it would only be a matter of time before the industry responded to that shift. If and when that happens I just might be tempted to make the jump to console land.
Interesting idea. However, I'd like to make the point that a great many console owners are already adults.
I'd like to make that point that a lot of the adults with consoles were PC gamers when they were young. ;-D
Har har, very funny. Nonsense, but funny. :p

More seriously, this little exhange gave me pause for thought and I did some digging. I found this:
http://www.webmediabrands.com/corporate/releases/02.11.06-gamerep.html
Note the date - 2002! That report is based on the US market, and from what other info I could gather it seems the average age is slightly younger in the global market taken as a whole, but even taking that into account it seems I'm well behind the times.

That article drew similar conclusions to mine - that content would have to mature - and yet it seems we were both wrong. Seven years after that was written the content hasn't matured at all (unless "matured" just means more blood and sex). I guess I can forget the idea that "Serious Games For Grown-ups" will ever materialise on consoles. Oh well...

Sorry for going OT, Shamus.

Feb 13, 2008
Having been around for a long time, I still remember the drunken conversations in the pub where I was the only person not really excited about the release of Windows 3.1.

Also the time where my techy friend told me that 3dfx cards were a waste of time, and then wondered why I started thrashing the hell out of him at Quake, because I could actually see the incoming rockets.

I wouldn't say it was the GPU that killed it though, rather the final stake through the heart.

Going back to the earlier days and the all encompassing genius that was around Elite. (A graphical shoote em up trading game in 32k???? That's nearly a millionth of normal hard disks now) It was the pressures of fitting things into the miniscule memory that really brought out the genius to the games market. Titles like The Last V8 (By the preformed Codemasters) and Kickstart which included stunning tracks by Rob Hubbard, graphics just on the side of visible but gameplay off the scale. And all because you simply didn't have that much to work with.

Knock it forward to today and you only really get the genius like L4D or GTA:VC in titles that have had an entire company dedicated to them. (Titles like The Path not withstanding), so recuperation of sales has become more important than player base. That's why the consoles took off, and were saturated with characters to sell them. (Even Commander Keen never really represented the PC)

People like things simple, and they were prepared to wait 7 minutes to load in a game as long as it was there to play and not to dissect. Atari's cartridges showed that, (4K a game!) but ultimately the push towards the computer illiterate, started by Windows WYSIWYG, that killed the PC. Once you've homogenized the product, the peripherals have to follow.

Sony can't do an RTS to save their life (and can only just cope with an MMO), but if they can throw pretty characters at you, why should they? Same with Nintendo.

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
onelifecrisis said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
scobie said:
onelifecrisis said:
My real problem with consoles is actually the games themselves. I think I'm not alone in this, given the number PC gamers who describe console games (and console ports) as "dumbed down". But consoles have only (relatively) recently risen to the forefront of gaming, and gaming itself has only recently risen to the forefront of the entertainment industry, and so now we enter into an interesting time: the console gaming generation are growing up, and I wonder whether they will grow out of games or not. If not - meaning, if a significant number want to carry on playing games into their adulthood - then we may see a shift in the consumers towards console games that aren't so "dumbed down", and then it would only be a matter of time before the industry responded to that shift. If and when that happens I just might be tempted to make the jump to console land.
Interesting idea. However, I'd like to make the point that a great many console owners are already adults.
I'd like to make that point that a lot of the adults with consoles were PC gamers when they were young. ;-D
Har har, very funny. Nonsense, but funny. :p
Wow--did not know that me and my friends are funny nonsense
You and your friends are atypical and that makes your comment nonsense, assuming that by "a lot" you meant "a representative proportion" (and if you didn't then your post is relegated from "nonsense" to "pointless").

Cheeze_Pavilion said:
That article drew similar conclusions to mine - that content would have to mature - and yet it seems we were both wrong. Seven years after that was written the content hasn't matured at all (unless "matured" just means more blood and sex). I guess I can forget the idea that "Serious Games For Grown-ups" will ever materialise on consoles. Oh well...
That's because grown-ups keep the PC around for the the 'serious' and 'mature' games. The content does not have to mature on consoles because adults are still inclined to look for that stuff on the PC. The PC market for 'serious' and 'mature' games never went away or contracted: if anything, it's bigger now than it ever was. It's just no longer on display in brick-and-mortar stores.
Bigger now than it's ever been? I wasn't talking about casual games... are you? There's the SIMS, WoW, and casual games... and... what else?

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
onelifecrisis said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Wow--did not know that me and my friends are funny nonsense
You and your friends are atypical
Proof? Source?
LOL, this should be easy...

I'll need a timescale for when you and your friends were "young" and playing PC games. You said you were playing StarCraft? So that gives me 1998 as a rough guide.

A quick google for "number of homes with pcs in 1998" found me this article:

http://news.cnet.com/Use-of-Internet,-home-PCs-surging/2100-1040_3-223399.html

As you can see it says that 40% of homes in the US had PCs in 1998 (and I think it's safe to assume that the US was ahead of the rest of the world in this respect). The same article says that a year later, in 1999, only half of all home PCs had Pentium-level processors. Pentium processors were entry-level for PC gaming in 1999, so that means that only 50% of home PCs were capable of playing games in 1999. Assuming it was also 50% in 1998 that means that while you were playing StarCraft four out of five homes didn't have a PC that was even capable of running it.

Next I changed my google search to "number of homes with gaming consoles in 2009" and the first result on the list was this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/technologyreviews/videogamereviewsandpreviews/4248136/Video-games-eight-out-of-ten-homes-own-a-next-gen-games-console.html

8 out of 10 here in the UK, so probably more like 9 out of 10 (if not 10 out of 10) in the US. Do I need to drill this point home by explaining the math to you? I'd describe you and your friends as "priviliged" although, given how oblivious you are, maybe "spoiled" would be more accurate? XD

Thanks, that was fun.

Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Bigger now than it's ever been? I wasn't talking about casual games... are you? There's the SIMS, WoW, and casual games... and... what else?
Europa Universalis, Victoria, Civilization, Sins of a Solar Empire, Making History: The Calm & The Storm, Mount & Blade...any of this ring a bell? Paradox? Stardock? Strategy First?

Maybe you should give Hearts of Iron II a spin before you give your opinions about what it means for a game to be "dumbed down" ;-D
Yeah... OK... Europa Universalis, released in 2001, is certainly a testament to modern day PC gaming being "stronger than it's ever been". /sarcasm

Next in your list is Victoria which (Wikipedia informs me) was an RTS back in 2003... but I'll grant you that the RTS genre is in a fairly healthy state these days, even if that is only thanks to the fact that console gamers outright refuse to plug mice into their machines thereby forcing developers to come up with... how should I put this... novel ways of using a controller to play RTS games. Anyway...

Civilization and Sins of a Solar Empire are good examples but the two years between their releases mean they're spread a little thin, especially once one discounts the dust-gatherers in your list.

Mount & Blade? Come off it.

Now rather than taking this as an invitation to produce a "better" list of un-heard-of games, why don't you accept your own challenge instead: proof/source.

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
onelifecrisis said:
Do I need to drill this point home by explaining the math to you?
Yes actually: you have to explain how any of that math is relevant to my statement: "I'd like to make that point that a lot of the adults with consoles were PC gamers when they were young. ;-D"
Try reading my posts before replying. I'm not going to quote myself, either read and reply or just don't reply.

As for the math: at most one in five homes in 1998 had a PC used for gaming. Nowadays all homes have consoles. Therefore even if all PC gamers from 1998 now own and play consoles they would only consitute at most 20% of the console playing demographic, which makes them (i.e. you) atypical, like I said.

Thanks for supplying the various numbers and numerals missing from your previous post, but I'm still waiting for proof (with source) of anything you've asserted. Or is your whole argument basically "here is a handful of games I like, QED"?

Roflcore

Apr 20, 2009
I completely disagree with Shamus. Back in the day when we played DC or Sim City 2000 nobody used his computer for email and stuff like that. Except for people that bought it for playing. Saying that the GPU is responsible is just..wrong. Call up Dell and buy a PC for around 1000$ and you get a very good machine which can run any game that is out. 1000$ is a lot? True, but back in the day PCs weren't cheap either. Actually for 1000$ you would get a computer that would last half as long (remember how much you payed for that geforce 4? it was junk after 6 month, unuseable after 12. buy a graphiccard today and it is junk after a year, unuseable after 2 and a half). There was just simply no "bad" version without certain incremental parts. I remember paying about 400$ for a 4GB harddrive. And that was a good price. Prices dropped, PCs got more advanced, operation systems got stable finally. there is no need to upgrade our hardware/os for an office pc today. back in the day, there was, windows 3.11 -> 95 -> 98 -> 2000 - those were huge improvements. But today we have XP, which is cheap and reliable. No need to upgrade anything or buy Vista for that matter, it will support everything until the computer breaks down. Oh yeah and of course, gaming got more casual and accepted, just like any other hobby. 1970 watching a zombie-movie made you some sort of socityfreak. Nobody cares now, it's pretty okay with everybody, maybe even popular. Same goes for gaming. And if things become popular, they become less complex. GPU is not the reason why pc-gaming is in decline, its the reason why it got so far.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Virgil said:
Very nice article, with the unfortunate exception that "sink[ing] $200 into the latest pixel-accelerating toaster oven" is (at this point) even up to $400-500. Assuming you only want one card (and not 3 [http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==]).

The most bizarre comparison is that the 'everybody' computer is now cheaper than a high-end GPU [http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwfa1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~inspndt_530s] ($299, and 'good enough' for internets, email, and word processing).
Of course, no one who a: isn't a billionare, or b: has common sense, actually buys the $400 graphics card, considering the next model down is often less than half the price, and gets a difference in frame rates of about 4 FPS. Using the highest possible price is a flawed argument. Of course, even ~$180 is a lot of money for a normal user.

With that said, I think that this article is completely right. Now no matter how you want to game, you need to get specialized hardware in the form of either a console or an upgraded PC. The days when you could use an "everyman" pc to do major gaming are long gone. (Though I gamed for years on a pc that was far less than "everyman", I doubt many other people enjoy playing exclusively pre-2002 games. I just upgraded last year.)

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
man-man said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
if people needed the latest GPU in order to Twitter, PC gaming would look a lot different.
Sweet Zombie Jesus... Windows Vista was an attempt to save PC gaming.
You're actually not that far off, strange as it sounds. Microsoft is intentionally trying to raise the minimum bar of PC hardware capabilities, because it's in their best interest to have better hardware to run their OS, and also in their best interest to see gaming become more accessible to the general public.

People that games on PCs almost invariably run Windows, and many of the games they play don't run on other OS's. If they can get more people to play games on PCs (instead of generic web-based games) they can decrease the chance that those people will switch to another OS. And to do that, they need to make sure there's a better minimum hardware standard, and make things easier (hence the dedicated games section in Vista, the built-in benchmarking, etc).

Liverandbacon said:
Of course, no one who a: isn't a billionare, or b: has common sense, actually buys the $400 graphics card, considering the next model down is often less than half the price ...
But that's not the "latest pixel-accelerating toaster oven" - not my words, his :p

I didn't claim that it is logical, just that it is true.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Europa Universalis III came out in January 2007. Expansions were released in August 2007 and May 2008.
There's also Europa Universalis: Rome and its expansion Vae Victis, the latter which came out just a few months ago. Hearts of Iron III is being released this year by Paradox, not to mention the point and click adventure genre hasn't been this healthy in years (Ceville, Vampyre Story, The Experiment and the upcoming Syberia III for instance).

karpiel

Apr 18, 2008
As someone who played through the glory years of the PC, I find this article to be an astute and accurate rundown of the platform's major weakness, cost and accessibility. Luckily, I keep a pretty bright outlook for the future: Game graphics have seemed to reach a plateau, and now it's time for the big-dollar GPU's to slim down in price and yet still deliver the goods on the latest games. The implementation of better integrated video chips would be excellent towards this end, as it has been a long time since the average video game player was a hardware hobbyist as well. Making the PC a turnkey gaming platform again could be wonderful.

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
Unless people are ripping numbers out of their arses, this thread is full of a lot of sad and/or ignorant people. Unless you're buying a Dell (in which case... lol,) there is no reason why you should really spend anywhere over $1200 or so for a new box.

Since the economic downturn, video card prices have plumetted. Processors are holding steady at about $200 for the most economical ones. It's now cheaper than it ever has been to fill your mobo to the brim with RAM. For under $300 you can buy a 24" LCD Monitor. Where are people spending $2400+? WATER COOLING? Hah!

My box, which runs Vista Ultimate, can run Crysis in DX10 at near-top settings, cost me exactly $1000 2 years ago. Now my box would likely only cost about $700-800. Currently, I have yet to find a game that strains my computer to the extent of playability and it likely won't happen for quite a few more years.

The problem is that when it comes to PC building, there's a lot of "wizzing" contests going on, and if you take advice from the wrong people you could be fooled into believing that buying a good PC could cost you an insane amount of money.

These are the people who are running a Quad Core Processor, 8GB of RAM, 2-3 Video Cards, Water cooled (when passive is quieter AND cheaper), all the while using Windows XP 32. They're completely oblivious to software bottlenecking and likely are just buying the most expensive parts they can find on newegg so they can brag about it to their friends (or if they have none, message boards.)

I think it's these people that are ruining gamers' perception of PC gaming, because many believe you require such a machine to game. But it's far from the truth.

Speedster4Life

Mar 6, 2009
I resent that last comment. The PC doesn't sit in a retirement home talking about the good old days. Because the PC is still pretty great as a games platform and there are great games that come out for the PC exclusively even though there aren't that many. But other than that the article is pretty interesting take on why the PC isn't the ultimate platform. I guess developers who want their games to sell on the PC as well should try and make games with graphics that are extremely scalable or which have low end graphics in the first place i.e. like world of warcraft or like sins of a solar empire. Game developers have to stop being the graphics rock star when it comes to a platform like the PC, and so far I can think of only three developers who do this i.e. Valve, Ironclad Games, Blizzard.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
onelifecrisis said:
LOL, this should be easy...

I'll need a timescale for when you and your friends were "young" and playing PC games. You said you were playing StarCraft? So that gives me 1998 as a rough guide.

A quick google for "number of homes with pcs in 1998" found me this article:

http://news.cnet.com/Use-of-Internet,-home-PCs-surging/2100-1040_3-223399.html

As you can see it says that 40% of homes in the US had PCs in 1998 (and I think it's safe to assume that the US was ahead of the rest of the world in this respect). The same article says that a year later, in 1999, only half of all home PCs had Pentium-level processors. Pentium processors were entry-level for PC gaming in 1999, so that means that only 50% of home PCs were capable of playing games in 1999. Assuming it was also 50% in 1998 that means that while you were playing StarCraft four out of five homes didn't have a PC that was even capable of running it.

Next I changed my google search to "number of homes with gaming consoles in 2009" and the first result on the list was this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/technologyreviews/videogamereviewsandpreviews/4248136/Video-games-eight-out-of-ten-homes-own-a-next-gen-games-console.html

8 out of 10 here in the UK, so probably more like 9 out of 10 (if not 10 out of 10) in the US. Do I need to drill this point home by explaining the math to you? I'd describe you and your friends as "priviliged" although, given how oblivious you are, maybe "spoiled" would be more accurate? XD

Thanks, that was fun.
+1 point for doing some research. Minus a thousand for being needlessly combative and personally insulting. There is simply no reason to act this way.

And while I'm replying to onelifecrisis, this applies to a lot of other people in this thread. This whole discussion is full of way more venom than is needed for a discussion about technology and market forces. Discussions about gaming, its culture, and technology are fun. "Ha ha ur dumb I win lulz" isn't. I would encourage everyone to stop taking this stuff so personally.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Speedster4Life said:
I resent that last comment.
Case in point to what I was talking in the last comment: There is no reason to get upset about this. I took a hyperbolic jab at the PC as a gaming platform. If you disagree with my conclusions then by all means, post your thoughts. That's what we're here for. But if you feel like I've personally insulted you, then the fault is with you.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
To those who have been taking about World of Warcraft as proof that PC gaming is just dandy: I think you're proving my point. The biggest PC game out there is over three years old and is now aged enough that it WILL run on integrated graphics cards and standard laptops. As an earlier commenter pointed out, I think stagnation in the GPU market would be a massive boon to the PC.

I never said that PC gaming sucked, it that there weren't any good games, or that people who used the platform were closet rapists. I just said its influence had diminished. ("Influence" in this case being big-name titles and press attention. Arguably both are emergent properties of underlying shifts in platform usage.)