Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's my predictions:

Same shit, different day
Always bet on banality.

RE5 Remake is going to happen after RE9 gets done. Like the original, there will be an even bigger focus on melee attacks, the knife will be less powerful and lose the durability system, the tribal levels and enemies will be entirely axed, and Sheva will be given the main focus. Chris will still be in the story and partnering with Sheva, but the player will be going from her point of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Nintendo is about to enter one of its lazy periods again, if it hasn't already. I've mentioned it before, they have that consistent pattern where they release some innovative technology with a handful of great exclusives and then just kinda rest on their success until they have to try again. I think Tears of the Kingdom is gonna mark the beginning of this one the way Mario Galaxy 2 marked the beginning of the last one. If the pattern continues, what I expect is a poorly received followup console to the Switch, a handful of phoned in new installations in their flagship franchises and if we're really unfortunate, less support for third party and indie titles.

Final Fantasy XVI will be reasonably well received, get a lot of backhanded praise along the lines of "The best Single Player FF since XII" but fail to restore the status the FF series used to have. Just like FF XIII and XV, I think the overwhelming consensus on it will be "It had some valid ideas, but failed to live up to its ambitions due to time or budget constraints". Might be wrong about it, because the development doesn't seem to be as messy as it was for XIII and XV but I'm still skeptical.

Starfield is gonna be the same game Bethesda has been making since Oblivion. They are a one trick pony, but that trick doesn't seem to have run its course yet. I never cared much for their games but a lot of people do and that's fine.

Of all the new Silent Hill games they have announced, about half will be cancelled and none will be very good. Most of it just seems like a perfect storm of hackery. Modern Day Konami. J.J. Abrams. Bloober Team. I honestly dread to see what will come out of it. The only one that I think has some potential to be interesting is Silent Hill f, on account of having the same writer as the Higurashi and Umineko visual novels. Which is why I really expect it that one specifically to be cancelled.

The Cyberpunk Expansion has a decent chance of being delayed to next year, and yet still somehow coming out in a really unpolished state. On one hand it'd be a shame, because for all its fault, I think Cyberpunk still beats the hell out of most of the competition. On the other hand it'd be kind of funny.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There will be more games where you do what is actually a job, but they'll pop the word 'sim' on it to make it a game. AccountancySim, BricklayerSim ('You'll get RSI, just like the real thing!'), Gas Safe CORGI Plumber Sim, etc.

I'll probably give them a whirl, except for AccountancySIm because numbers are shit.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
There will be more games where you do what is actually a job, but they'll pop the word 'sim' on it to make it a game. AccountancySim, BricklayerSim ('You'll get RSI, just like the real thing!'), Gas Safe CORGI Plumber Sim, etc.
The best sims are the ones that were originally industry training tools that someone decided to bolt 'game' elements on to. Have fun and pass the theory sections for gaining industry qualifications!

I'm waiting for someone to do TaxidermistSim.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The best sims are the ones that were originally industry training tools that someone decided to bolt 'game' elements on to. Have fun and pass the theory sections for gaining industry qualifications!
Ready for Steam Greenlight: Fatberg Clearance: The Health and Safety Edition.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I have a little difficulty trying to predict how Starfield will turn out. And that difficulty is Fallout 76 and The Outer Worlds. If Starfield had followed Fallout 4, I'd have put money on buggy with the loudest faction being the very vocal minority of haters that harp on all its flaws but never actually played the game, reviewers pointing out bugs and enjoying it "although it isn't as good as New Vegas or Morrowind," and the vast majority of players simply playing it for hundreds of hours and loving it without saying much about it at all.

And that's still a likely scenario. But Starfield follows '76. A massive flop. While Obsidian rattled off The Outer Worlds to modest success as if to say, "see how easy that was." And so, I see two other scenarios based on reactions to that. A: they won't release Starfield until they know for sure it will be a success that surpasses The Outer Worlds. Which means (probably) even more delays, and either a less buggy release... or a cancelation if it isn't possible. Or B: realizing their next success will have to be ES 6 and just a rushed, careless release of Starfield. Just trying to get it out of ES 6's way and out of people's memory as quickly as possible. Meaning it's not mediocre... it is utter crap. The thing about that outcome though, is Microsoft. A second flop in a row, and Microsoft could conceivably give Bethesda an "EA special." Now maybe they wouldn't ever consider that with ES 6 on the horizon, but still conceivable.

I don't know which of those scenarios is most likely, but I'd put money on it being one of those.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Final Fantasy XVI will be reasonably well received, get a lot of backhanded praise along the lines of "The best Single Player FF since XII" but fail to restore the status the FF series used to have.
Which will mostly be from contrarian game journalists who can't review for shit.

Just like FF XIII and XV, I think the overwhelming consensus on it will be "It had some valid ideas, but failed to live up to its ambitions due to time or budget constraints". Might be wrong about it, because the development doesn't seem to be as messy as it was for XIII and XV but I'm still skeptical.
At least FFXVI has an idea of what it wants to be and looks more consistent all the more for it. Yes, it's just another Japanese game copying Berserk, but it looks way more focused and better managed than whatever was going for XIII and XV. Not to mention XV was supposed to be a spin-off/sequel expansion to XIII.

And that's still a likely scenario. But Starfield follows '76. A massive flop. While Obsidian rattled off The Outer Worlds to modest success as if to say, "see how easy that was." And so, I see two other scenarios based on reactions to that. A: they won't release Starfield until they know for sure it will be a success that surpasses The Outer Worlds. Which means (probably) even more delays, and either a less buggy release... or a cancelation if it isn't possible. Or B: realizing their next success will have to be ES 6 and just a rushed, careless release of Starfield. Just trying to get it out of ES 6's way and out of people's memory as quickly as possible. Meaning it's not mediocre... it is utter crap. The thing about that outcome though, is Microsoft. A second flop in a row, and Microsoft could conceivably give Bethesda an "EA special." Now maybe they wouldn't ever consider that with ES 6 on the horizon, but still conceivable.

I don't know which of those scenarios is most likely, but I'd put money on it being one of those.
The second scenario. The first one has way too much wishful thinking on Bethesda's part. Not your fault, but I don't see it happening with the first scenario.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'd throw a dark horse possibility that Armored Core gets a GotY nominee at the very least to go with the inevitable Zelda slobbering.

Speaking of, I suspect a large number of Souls players are going to try and play and bounce off like a sack of bricks (not withstanding whether FROM can actually get out of their 15 year old box at this point and actually make a decent one)

Coin Flip on TotK actually containing something resembling a Zelda game this time, or really any substantial content beyond "here is big thing and 180000 identical collectibles with a bare handful of copy pasted and pallette swapped enemies"

Starfield - If it actually comes out this year, assuming Bethesda doesn't get shy/choked in line by daddy MS to delay it til it vaguely resembles working. Will probably be a bug ridden mess wrapped around a general meh. But the usual fanboys will insist the modders fixing it somehow makes it good. Though hey, at least I haven't even heard of them lettign Todd Howard talk so it can't be full of unfilled feature promises (or maybe I'm not paying attention)

Despite Dredge getting an odd amount of hype (it was fine... but almost at what I'd call a mobile game in terms of gameplay, if a better example of that), and Darkest Dungeon 2 being out now (probably de-hyped from Early Access forever syndrome) whatever the indie darling of the year is likely hasn't been chosen yet.
The indy darling of the year will be Silksong. I know it's become a joke that it's not coming out and they just announced (confirmed) it's delayed, but I predict it will come out and, similar to Tears of the Kingdom, will be beloved by those who already love their predecessors.

Which leads me to my next prediction: I am going to enjoy Street Fighter and Armored Core (both 6 lol), and they will be critically acclaimed, but Silksong and Tears are hitting that critical acclaim sweet spot. And I don't like those games though I am taken aback by the harsh cynicism toward Zelda here tbh. Anyway, this year is looking to be one of those years where the award winners are, to me, interesting at best, while I love other mainstream stuff. And that's fine.

It's just the trend I'm seeing towards highest acclaim is that for the AAA space it's open worlds without map markers is the highest achievement, and for the indie space it's obscurity and theme.

Btw I watched SkillUp's review for Tears and I gotta say how much I respect what Nintendo did with it and that it confirms how little I want to play it. We like to complain about studios trying to make bland things that appeal to everyone and lemme tell you- Nintendo is ALL IN on whatever Breath of the Wild was.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I have a little difficulty trying to predict how Starfield will turn out. And that difficulty is Fallout 76 and The Outer Worlds. If Starfield had followed Fallout 4, I'd have put money on buggy with the loudest faction being the very vocal minority of haters that harp on all its flaws but never actually played the game, reviewers pointing out bugs and enjoying it "although it isn't as good as New Vegas or Morrowind," and the vast majority of players simply playing it for hundreds of hours and loving it without saying much about it at all.

I just cannot imagine canceling or rushing Starfield. Too much hype.
I also must insist that there is a real possibility that this game will be great, it's honestly annoying that it's conventional wisdom to just laugh at this game being made by prominent studios and just shitting on it already.
For sure it will have "bugs" and patches- hi, welcome to video games since, like, I dunno, 10 years ago? But this assumption that like all the planets are shit and the combat sucks and whatever that I'm seeing everywhere- I mean of course it's possible but the development history and even marketing is NOT Redfall or whatever.

So.. my personal current Starfield prediction in terms of quality? And this is just wild guessing now, and to put it in terms of comparing to another game:
Halo Infinite. You know, how at it's core it's pretty damn good but then people were hoping for more? That.

Reactions: Kyrian007

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is there much hype for starfield? Other than being the first single player RPG from Bethesda in fucking forever, I don't think there's many people interested in it. Compare it to how high the hype for cyberpunk 2077 was, it"s practically silent.

Reactions: Kyrian007

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Is there much hype for starfield? Other than being the first single player RPG from Bethesda in fucking forever, I don't think there's many people interested in it. Compare it to how high the hype for cyberpunk 2077 was, it"s practically silent.
I think Fallout76 really hurt them. Much the same way that Cyberpunk hurt CDPR.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Btw I watched SkillUp's review for Tears and I gotta say how much I respect what Nintendo did with it and that it confirms how little I want to play it. We like to complain about studios trying to make bland things that appeal to everyone and lemme tell you- Nintendo is ALL IN on whatever Breath of the Wild was.
Didn’t watch, but guessing they didn’t do shit to address the weapon durability.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I just cannot imagine canceling or rushing Starfield. Too much hype.
I also must insist that there is a real possibility that this game will be great, it's honestly annoying that it's conventional wisdom to just laugh at this game being made by prominent studios and just shitting on it already.
For sure it will have "bugs" and patches- hi, welcome to video games since, like, I dunno, 10 years ago? But this assumption that like all the planets are shit and the combat sucks and whatever that I'm seeing everywhere- I mean of course it's possible but the development history and even marketing is NOT Redfall or whatever.

So.. my personal current Starfield prediction in terms of quality? And this is just wild guessing now, and to put it in terms of comparing to another game:
Halo Infinite. You know, how at it's core it's pretty damn good but then people were hoping for more? That.

Could it be great? Sure.

Have they made any indication that it will be? No

What little they have had to hype (other then being different by its noticably low presence) says business as usual at Bethesda but now in space.

And business at usual in Bethesda is using their shambling Frankenstein of an engine that stoll has Morrowind bugs embedded in its code, a pretty but generally lifeless world. And open world and "non linear" to the point that nothing matters and there is no logical difficulty (which then spins into having no mechanical complexity worth noting).

An expectation they've basically been cultivating for like 20 years now, just its grown over time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Life by You will be decently received, both financially and critically. Not enough that Paradox will call it a success, and most certainly not that it will challenge The Sims, but enough for expansion packs to come out and enough that they feel confident to release a sequel eventually.