Video Game Voice Actors Will Go On Strike this Friday Unless a Deal is Reached

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
I might be wrong in my thoughts on it, but everything I've heard about Voice actors is that they're underappreciated. If it brings about change for the better, then I guess that's okay. Yeah it'll slow down game production, but hopefully after they strike a deal and everyone gets their stuff in order, maybe it won't need to happen again.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Transdude1996 said:
Fox12 said:
Aiddon said:
MoltenSilver said:
I don't understand any of the comments calling them greedy, woe are the other people on the development team, etc. The voice actors are willing to actually roll the dice on their future to be treated better. The idea of 'well everyone gets treated like shit except CEOs so you should too' baffles me. We shouldn't be discouraging this strike, we should be encouraging other aspects of video-game development to start getting demanding too.
Because it boils down to this: "if it gets in the way of a game I am looking forward to being released then clearly the people demanding to be treated more fairly are evil." Gamers don't care about actors, programmers, and devs being treated like crap as long as it doesn't affect their toys.
Not at all. Do you remember their earlier demands? That anyone who doesn't belong to the union doesn't get to work in the industry? In an industry that's already difficult to break into, they wanted to make it even harder. And, if by some miracle you did make it in, then you would have to give some of your money to a union. You would lose the right to negotiate with you employer without them. Here's the thing. Some people don't want to be part of a union. Some people are happier without the hassle. It isn't ethical for them to try and strong arm both companies and other workers. But, corporations are always evil, so I guess the unions are right no matter what they do.

Furthermore, why do VA's deserve residuals? What about their job earns them that? That may fly in film, where big name actors bring success, but certainly not in gaming. Nothing about their work entitles them to that. Frankly, they're being greedy. There are plenty of other positions that deserve that more, but VA's are in the spotlight, so when they act like pre madonnas people pay more attention.

Finally, unions get in the way. Not just in games, but everywhere. You call them toys. I call them art. Either way, it doesn't really matter. Look at George Lucas, for instance. The Directors Guild wanted Star Wars to have credits at the beginning of the film. Lucas wanted them at the end in order to maintain the dramatic opening of the movie. They fined him millions, and refused to let him hire Spielberg for the final film. People complain about how corporations hold back art, but unions can be even worse. They're just another unfeeling bureaucracy that muddles up the works. Please, let's stop pretending that their the good guys.
At least with companies, they have the defence of needing the money to pay the costs of maintaining the company, paying taxes for the company existing, pay for the continuing ownage of their brands and names, paying for taxes of their employees, paying for the salary of their employees, paying for outside companies to figure out how much money they should be paying everyone, paying for the equipment and software that everyone uses, paying for the facilities that the company operates in, paying off the debts of previously failed and cancelled projects, etc., etc., etc., and whatever minimal amount is left is funneled back into the company to fund future ventures.

Meanwhile, with unions, what started out as a fight for "employee rights" became an agenda machine used to line pockets after new laws were made to remove the need for such an organization.
I agree. The problem with unions is that, if they do their job right, then they will cease to exist. Unfortunately, that means that the people working for the union are working themselves out of a job. But the union will never want to shut down, and the people who depend on it for their livelihoods will never want it to disappear. They need it.

Guilds and Unions have always had a dark side. Even in the middle ages, where they would cut out competitors. I see now that nothing has changed. The reality is that unions don't care about workers rights, they just care about the rights of their members. Some people have argued that it's not fair for non-members to enjoy the benefits of union activity when union members are the ones who did the fighting, but the problem is that no one asked them to fight on their behalf.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Mister K said:
Again with generalization....
Then don't generalize in the first place if you don't want a comment that, while snarky, isn't that far off the mark. Unlike most people in this thread I actually read what they're asking for and the context of WHY they're asking for it. None of them are unreasonable. When you have people frequently vomiting, coughing up blood, or losing their voice due to the stressful sessions that these game makers frequently demand then it was going to come back to haunt them. Fact of the matter is this: this needed to happen and it was long overdue. The gaming industry, if it's going to keep wanting professional VO in its products, has to learn to WORK with actors instead of just treating them like a tool to exploit and throw away. It might also help open discussion as to why the does nothing to solve the image of companies being exploitative to not only VAs but to their own employees. The gaming industry seriously needs to start acting like an actual INDUSTRY.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Aiddon said:
Mister K said:
Then don't generalize in the first place if you don't want a comment that, while snarky, isn't that far off the mark. Unlike most people in this thread I actually read what they're asking for and the context of WHY they're asking for it. None of them are unreasonable. When you have people frequently vomiting, coughing up blood, or losing their voice due to the stressful sessions that these game makers frequently demand then it was going to come back to haunt them. Fact of the matter is this: this needed to happen and it was long overdue. The gaming industry, if it's going to keep wanting professional VO in its products, has to learn to WORK with actors instead of just treating them like a tool to exploit and throw away. It might also help open discussion as to why the does nothing to solve the image of companies being exploitative to not only VAs but to their own employees. The gaming industry seriously needs to start acting like an actual INDUSTRY.
Its all fine and dandy, but I doubt that VA's have levelage to put any pressure. Nobody says "Hey, John Doe voiced this guy, I am totally buying the game now". People like them don't sell games, gameplay, artstyle, characters and writing do. Voice actors are as far from essential element of gaming industry as one can be while still having some relevance.

If programmers went on strike, or artists, it would've been problematic because it is hard to find adequate replacement for people who actually make games. With VA's, it is not so. They are like media players in cars: rather nice to have, but not neccessary.

As I've said, I'd preffer to see them come to some agreement. But if anything bad happens as a result of it, I am more than sure that it will be lack of voice acting in games made by aformentioned companies, or unprofessional one.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
I'm pretty on-board with all their demands except the royalties one. In the event the game has a persistant cash flow such as Free to Pa...Play, or Subscription based, there's a potential argument there, but for a regular 'it's released and it's done until new content happens', I 100% disagree on them getting royalties. They were paid for the work they accomplished, just like the developers.

Everything else seems pretty fair - especially less brutal scheduling when dealing with especially stressful sessions. Permanently destroying your voice because of an overlong session is an incredibly fast way to end your career.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Mister K said:
Its all fine and dandy, but I doubt that VA's have levelage to put any pressure. Nobody says "Hey, John Doe voiced this guy, I am totally buying the game now". People like them don't sell games, gameplay, artstyle, characters and writing do. Voice actors are as far from essential element of gaming industry as one can be while still having some relevance.

If programmers went on strike, or artists, it would've been problematic because it is hard to find adequate replacement for people who actually make games. With VA's, it is not so. They are like media players in cars: rather nice to have, but not neccessary.

As I've said, I'd preffer to see them come to some agreement. But if anything bad happens as a result of it, I am more than sure that it will be lack of voice acting in games made by aformentioned companies, or unprofessional one.
Hmm yes, I suppose that's why Kiefer Sutherland is Big Boss now. Because that doesn't matter at all I suppose. He's just some dude they hired. No problem here.

Hmm also I wonder why they keep going to the same people for not only video games, but cartoons and other works where you need voice work. No it can't be because they are either good or might clue people into the fact that "At least the voice work will be good". NOPE. It's just some odd reason to keep using them. Can't think of a reason.

Sorry, Voice actors might not get the high budget advertisement most the time(Cough, PETER DINKLAGE PETER DINKLAGE WE HAVE PETER DINKLAGE, Cough), but they do end up having an effect on a game.

And we don't have numbers. How many programmers and artists are trying to get a job? How many compared to Voice Actors? How many of both would be qualified to fill their post(And no, not everyone can voice act or sound good. Hence why I've never tried to have a youtube channel)? I hear more stories about programmers being chewed up and spat out than I do voice actors, so there must be a decent number of ready and able replacements somewhere.

Personally, I hope this works out. Maybe not all the demands but something. Anything to hopefully get this ball rolling so that more people that work in the industry end up getting treated better. Maybe the artists might follow up and ask for better pens and tools.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I wonder if they considered that game companies may just shrug their shoulders and go back to unvoiced games as a "new", "innovative" style of storytelling... or using devs as voice actors as some companies do... or people looking to break into the voice acting industry.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
MerlinCross said:
Mister K said:

Hmm yes, I suppose that's why Kiefer Sutherland is Big Boss now. Because that doesn't matter at all I suppose. He's just some dude they hired. No problem here.

Hmm also I wonder why they keep going to the same people for not only video games, but cartoons and other works where you need voice work. No it can't be because they are either good or might clue people into the fact that "At least the voice work will be good". NOPE. It's just some odd reason to keep using them. Can't think of a reason.

Sorry, Voice actors might not get the high budget advertisement most the time(Cough, PETER DINKLAGE PETER DINKLAGE WE HAVE PETER DINKLAGE, Cough), but they do end up having an effect on a game.

And we don't have numbers. How many programmers and artists are trying to get a job? How many compared to Voice Actors? How many of both would be qualified to fill their post(And no, not everyone can voice act or sound good. Hence why I've never tried to have a youtube channel)? I hear more stories about programmers being chewed up and spat out than I do voice actors, so there must be a decent number of ready and able replacements somewhere.

Personally, I hope this works out. Maybe not all the demands but something. Anything to hopefully get this ball rolling so that more people that work in the industry end up getting treated better. Maybe the artists might follow up and ask for better pens and tools.
And how many people bought games with Sutherland and Dincklage becausethey were in them. I highly doubt that many, if any. Maybe it actually was a part of a plan to advertise games to masses, but I doubt that many "casual" gamers (i.e. people who don't have games as main hobby) cared enough about said actors to buy games with them, and "core" audience doesn't really care about big names (as far as I am aware, at least). And I doubt that many "bros" went mad (in positive sense) over Kevin Spacey in new CoD.

Also, you are trying to compare role of VA's in animation, which people wish to experince for acting and story, with their role in games, where people mostly want to experience gameplay and story.

I'll agree with you on programmers though.

As I've mentioned, I want both parties to end up sattisfied with the results, though I doubt that VA's have enough levelage in this matter.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Considering the voice actors were the reason MML 1 and 2 were so hard to get re-released on the PSN I kinda have a hard time rooting for them.

Plus I'm worried about how this will go down the road. What about indie games? If they get their friend who wants to get into VA in the game is the VAG(?) gonna make it so this indie game can't be sold on Steam/PSN/XBL because they didn't go through the right channels?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah, I don't see this going in their favour. They're demanding privileges that even game programmers don't get. I think they're compensated well enough, respective to the amount and difficulty of the work they do.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Considering everyone in the games industry is underpaid besides the executives, it is nice to see someone not afraid to start fighting for better wages (remember how much gta 5 made?).

That said, I do hope the voice acting gets better, but considering how many of the games are starting to use motion capture not just for bodies, but faces, it is definitely a lot more involved (plus games are getting longer).

I would say I hope the strike doesn't ruin anything, but considering so many of the games over the last couple of years that had everything going for them only to fall flat on there faces I'm not too worried.

It's not like we'll get another transformers revenge of the fallen level disaster. ROBOT BALLS :mad:

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Zydrate said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I know nothing about the situation, so I really don't know what to feel.
If it becomes anything like the Writer's Strike, it has the power to derail great games.
Heroes died because of a shitty season (and a half) and I think Lost took a narrative hit but I don't remember.
Less than 25% of gaming VA's are SAG members and in general nobody gives a flying fuck about who's voicing a lead character. If this drags on publishers will simply turn to anime VA's who are also non SAG. This could quite easily backfire on SAG.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MerlinCross said:

Precisely; the industry in general treats its own employees terribly and it's never had to deal with that reality, being almost in a state of arrested development. Furthermore the games industry also has a serious identity problem as while gaming is actually supposed to be entertainment too many companies act like they're the tech sector, leading to gigantic problems in structure that can't last forever. Anyone who has ever complained about how the games industry treats its employees or how they operate should in fact be rooting for this as it's a long overdue wake up call and could get the ball rolling on people demanding that companies not treat their employees like disposable tools. Game companies are little more than a bunch of spoiled brats who have had to want for nothing for too long and it's about time they got cut down to size.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Zydrate said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I know nothing about the situation, so I really don't know what to feel.
If it becomes anything like the Writer's Strike, it has the power to derail great games.
Heroes died because of a shitty season (and a half) and I think Lost took a narrative hit but I don't remember.
It won't be anything like the writers strike, as this union represents less then 25% of games on the market, they don't have the major stranglehold the WGA did(and they only got away with striking because the economy was still in a good place, had their contract expired in 2008, no way they would've tried striking, as the bad economy derailed an SGA strike in 2010) and there's plenty of other voice-actor groups who will be more then happy to fill for those who are on strike. Honestly this strike could really end up biting these VAs in the ass if publishers discover new and better voice actors(sometimes I think certain voice actors are only used because they are well known and not because they actually fit into the roles they are playing) to replace them with.

Also a lot of programmers are royally pissed about this, as they get treated far worse yet this strike won't benefit them at all and will probably make their jobs much harder:http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/09/not-everyone-is-supporting-a-possible-voice-actor-strike/

Plus voice acting still isn't that big of a selling point for most games, people aren't going to buy a game just cause it has a voice actor they like, they'll buy it because the gameplay looks good.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Aiddon said:
MerlinCross said:

Precisely; the industry in general treats its own employees terribly and it's never had to deal with that reality, being almost in a state of arrested development. Furthermore the games industry also has a serious identity problem as while gaming is actually supposed to be entertainment too many companies act like they're the tech sector, leading to gigantic problems in structure that can't last forever. Anyone who has ever complained about how the games industry treats its employees or how they operate should in fact be rooting for this as it's a long overdue wake up call and could get the ball rolling on people demanding that companies not treat their employees like disposable tools. Game companies are little more than a bunch of spoiled brats who have had to want for nothing for too long and it's about time they got cut down to size.
I'm not exactly rooting for this as voice actors are already treated pretty well to the point where a lot of developers are actually angry at them for complaining, when they get treated so much worse.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Mister K said:
Aiddon said:
Mister K said:

There won't be a lack of voice-acting, just a lack of voice acting from the particular union going on strike, there's other voice-actor who will not be striking

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I wonder who is the "Tara Strong" of gaming? Does gaming even have one? For those clueless, Tara Strong is an iconic voice actress that worked in a decent fraction of cartoons of the 2000's like Teen Titans, Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents, etc. She became kind of a celebrity among fans of animation.

The only events around voice actors in recent history was Solid Snake's voice actor accused Kojima of wanting to replace him for someone more "Hollywoodian" early in the series and Samus' voice actress storming out of Nintendo's 2015 E3 after the Federation Force incident and this event.

Nov 28, 2007
Igor-Rowan said:
I wonder who is the "Tara Strong" of gaming? Does gaming even have one? For those clueless, Tara Strong is an iconic voice actress that worked in a decent fraction of cartoons of the 2000's like Teen Titans, Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents, etc. She became kind of a celebrity among fans of animation.

The only events around voice actors in recent history was Solid Snake's voice actor accused Kojima of wanting to replace him for someone more "Hollywoodian" early in the series and Samus' voice actress storming out of Nintendo's 2015 E3 after the Federation Force incident and this event.
Probably the closest thing video games have to that is Jennifer Hale.