Video games may be curbing crime in the U.S

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
This article by NBC says there is a "Xbox effect" Causing youth to stay inside and play video games instead of going out side and causing crime. http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/04/22177302-are-the-xbox-and-unleaded-gas-helping-keep-you-safe-from-violent-crime?lite

So suck it Politicians who blame video games on corrupting the youth. Although I do think it may lead to bad eating habits when Taco bell, mountain dew and Doritos are always the sponsors for a popular video game. I am happy that Uncharted was sponsred by subway at least some gamers are being advertised to be healthy

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
kilenem said:
Although I do think it may lead to bad eating habits when Taco bell, mountain dew and Doritos are always the sponsors for a popular video game. I am happy that Uncharted was sponsred by subway at least some gamers are being advertised to be healthy
I don't really see the relevance of this to the rest of your post, and how is subway healthy?

I don't really see how this makes anything more than a short term change, less people committing crimes to play games today doesn't matter as tomorrow they may not have any more games to play, and crimes of necessity wont be hindered by games.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
kilenem said:
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:
Although I do think it may lead to bad eating habits when Taco bell, mountain dew and Doritos are always the sponsors for a popular video game. I am happy that Uncharted was sponsred by subway at least some gamers are being advertised to be healthy
I don't really see the relevance of this to the rest of your post, and how is subway healthy?

I don't really see how this makes anything more than a short term change, less people committing crimes to play games today doesn't matter as tomorrow they may not have any more games to play, and crimes of necessity wont be hindered by games.
I got off topic but subway is healthier in comparison to other fast food restaurants. I wonder whats inside of tacobell's meat.
Probably the Same thing as Subway's meat: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1365424/Subway-vs-McDonalds-The-artery-clogging-truth-favourite-fast-food-chains.html
(Ignoring the heavy writer bias these are the important factual bits)
In fact, the company has admitted sourcing its chicken and meat from ten different countries including Thailand, Uruguay, Germany, Denmark and the UK. The imported meat is frozen and can take at least a month to reach the UK.

So much for fresh.

In its defence, Subway says by ?fresh? it means that the sandwiches are freshly made in front of customer, not that the ingredients are fresh. It also says that, where possible, it sources meat from the UK. Not that its meat is 100 per cent meat: Subway told me its ham contains pork rear-leg meat, water, salt, stabilisers, dextrose (sugar), lactose, smoke flavouring, preservative and antioxidant. What goes into the flavouring, it did not divulge.

The chicken strips are made of chicken breast, sunflower oil, salt, potato starch (a thickener) and paprika.
One company that supplies the chain with processed meat is Dawn Farm Foods, in Co. Kildare (if you recognise the name it might be from the publicity they received over a salmonella outbreak in their factory a couple of years ago, which led to Subway having to remove some ingredients from its stores).

Although Dawn Farm does not list its ingredients on its website, and there was nobody available to talk to me, it does announce that, when it comes to processed meat, ?If you can imagine it, we can make it happen?. The slogan is illustrated with slices of meat shaped like a pear and, erm, the Colosseum.
When your supplier can process your 'meat' into the shape of the Colosseum... that ain't fresh meat. Also Dawn Farm Foods were found guilty in the hilarious horse meat scandal, so some of that fresh UK Subway 'beef' was actually illegal horsemeat. Yummy!

So, how healthy ? or otherwise ? are Subway?s offerings? According to the company?s figures, a 6in Meatball Marinara sub has 511 calories, 21g of fat, of which 9g is saturated, and 3.3g of salt. That?s 30 per cent less salty than it used to be, Subway boasts ? but it is still the equivalent of six packets of Walkers ready salted crisps and more than half of an adult?s maximum daily recommended intake of salt. In fact, it has more calories and salt than a Big Mac.

The Italian BMT is slightly better, with 431 calories, 20.5g fat and 2.7g salt, but the Spicy Italian has a whopping 506 calories, with 29g of fat, almost 13g of it saturated, and 2.8g of salt.

All of those figures ignore the extra cheese and sauce. And remember, the foot-long version has double the calories, fat and salt, putting it into terrifyingly high figures.
And then there's this asshole:

Don't get me wrong, I love eating at Subway, but don't mistake it for being any healthier than McDonalds or KFC, because it's using the same cheap reconstituted crap as the rest of them.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
kilenem said:
snip
I got off topic but subway is healthier in comparison to other fast food restaurants. I wonder whats inside of tacobell's meat.

If people have access to a computer at the library they can play a large amount of games for free. I live in Detroit and a large amount of my friends would run emulators and bootleg games because we didn't have money for a 360 or even a DS. Someone bought HALO for PC in 2008 and the people I hung out with Cracked it. It was was less then 2 GB and ran on CD rom so people could run it off of thumb drives. It probably was pirated to around 50 people. There were 16 player lans in the library. Less violent crimes but increase in cyber crimes.
saying subway is healthier in comparison means very little, yes flu is healthier than cancer, but I wound't say it's healthy.
Having a large amount of games to play doesn't change much, people can still be bored or just only want to play select titles meaning there shouldn't be a huge impact, furthermore how long has torrenting been around? That has the same effect.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
kilenem said:
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:

Probably the Same thing as Subway's meat: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1365424/Subway-vs-McDonalds-The-artery-clogging-truth-favourite-fast-food-chains.html
In fact, the company has admitted sourcing its chicken and meat from ten different countries including Thailand, Uruguay, Germany, Denmark and the UK. The imported meat is frozen and can take at least a month to reach the UK.

So much for fresh.

In its defence, Subway says by ?fresh? it means that the sandwiches are freshly made in front of customer, not that the ingredients are fresh. It also says that, where possible, it sources meat from the UK. Not that its meat is 100 per cent meat: Subway told me its ham contains pork rear-leg meat, water, salt, stabilisers, dextrose (sugar), lactose, smoke flavouring, preservative and antioxidant. What goes into the flavouring, it did not divulge.

The chicken strips are made of chicken breast, sunflower oil, salt, potato starch (a thickener) and paprika.
One company that supplies the chain with processed meat is Dawn Farm Foods, in Co. Kildare (if you recognise the name it might be from the publicity they received over a salmonella outbreak in their factory a couple of years ago, which led to Subway having to remove some ingredients from its stores).

Although Dawn Farm does not list its ingredients on its website, and there was nobody available to talk to me, it does announce that, when it comes to processed meat, ?If you can imagine it, we can make it happen?. The slogan is illustrated with slices of meat shaped like a pear and, erm, the Colosseum.
When your supplier can process your 'meat' into the shape of the Colosseum... that ain't fresh meat. Also Dawn Farm Foods were found guilty in the hilarious horse meat scandal, so some of that fresh UK Subway 'beef' was actually illegal horsemeat. Yummy!

So, how healthy ? or otherwise ? are Subway?s offerings? According to the company?s figures, a 6in Meatball Marinara sub has 511 calories, 21g of fat, of which 9g is saturated, and 3.3g of salt. That?s 30 per cent less salty than it used to be, Subway boasts ? but it is still the equivalent of six packets of Walkers ready salted crisps and more than half of an adult?s maximum daily recommended intake of salt. In fact, it has more calories and salt than a Big Mac.

The Italian BMT is slightly better, with 431 calories, 20.5g fat and 2.7g salt, but the Spicy Italian has a whopping 506 calories, with 29g of fat, almost 13g of it saturated, and 2.8g of salt.

All of those figures ignore the extra cheese and sauce. And remember, the foot-long version has double the calories, fat and salt, putting it into terrifyingly high figures.

Don't get me wrong, I love eating at Subway, but don't mistake it for being any healthier than McDonalds or KFC, because it's using the same cheap reconstituted crap as the rest of them.
Kind of wish I didn't learn that.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I don't believe it. This is as ridiculous as claiming that video games are a catalyst for crime. games don't cause crimes, and they don't stop them either.

Why is it that we can't hold people accountable to their own individual actions without giving the credit or blame to some medium. Bored teenagers are not the main factor in crimes, moral upbringing and social and economic situation are main factors.

criminals and law abiding citizens were here long before games ever came into existent.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:
snip

If people have access to a computer at the library they can play a large amount of games for free. I live in Detroit and a large amount of my friends would run emulators and bootleg games because we didn't have money for a 360 or even a DS. Someone bought HALO for PC in 2008 and the people I hung out with Cracked it. It was was less then 2 GB and ran on CD rom so people could run it off of thumb drives. It probably was pirated to around 50 people. There were 16 player lans in the library. Less violent crimes but increase in cyber crimes.
saying subway is healthier in comparison means very little, yes flu is healthier than cancer, but I wound't say it's healthy.
Having a large amount of games to play doesn't change much, people can still be bored or just only want to play select titles meaning there shouldn't be a huge impact, furthermore how long has torrenting been around? That has the same effect.
Tormenting was around
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:
snip

There are a large amount people who I knew who only go to the Library to play games and to get a comic and if the computers were down that they left and went home.

A lot of people don't know how to torrent, pirate or crack games. I had a modded Xbox and didn't know. It had this weird logo that said evo X and a weird screen would pop up when I would press some buttons when it loaded. I know that it was moded know because I later learned that EVO X is a mod program and that weird screen was probably the menu for the mod. tools. It was only a few people who would find the emulators and ways to pirate games and distribute it to everyone else.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
O maestre said:
I don't believe it. This is as ridiculous as claiming that video games are a catalyst for crime. games don't cause crimes, and they don't stop them either.

Why is it that we can't hold people accountable to their own individual actions without giving the credit or blame to some medium. Bored teenagers are not the main factor in crimes, moral upbringing and social and economic situation are main factors.

criminals and law abiding citizens were here long before games ever came into existent.
A lot people play video games for stress relief I don't see why that wouldn't cause people to be less aggressive. Socail and Economics are a big part but even with Detroit going bankrupt and has a complete crap education system. Detroit is no where near its murder rate when it was the Murder Capitol of the world. The averages of crime in Detroit are going down.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I think it'd be worth noting that, Daily Mail aside, that's not necessarily applicable in the US.

Not that I'm saying it would be any better here, of course. But, for instance, all information I can find on a quick, lazy Google search points to Dawn Foods not exporting meat to the US, meaning Subway over here would be using ingredients from different sources.

And frankly I'm not sure why it would be surprising that a 6 inch sub contains more calories than a McDonald's burger, as terrible as they may be for you. Especially one that contains beef itself. I don't know about everyone else, but if I'm going to be getting something from Subway, I generally treat it as an entire meal. And I don't even get the drink or junk food.

Also additives and preservatives are going to be in practically everything you eat unless you only eat home-grown foods, so... you know.

OT: Er... you know, I really wish people could just leave behind the idea that video games actually cause any sort of behavior one way or the other. At worst, they're usually just a catalyst for something that was liable to happen anyway. At best, they're a way to vent things that might otherwise have come out as something worse that would've happened anyway.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
O maestre said:

I do see where you're coming from. These studies rub right up to our confirmation biases while the studies claiming that video games cause violence/anti-social behaviour go right against them.

There is a chance that the OP is onto something in the sense that teenage boys/young men may be now more encouraged to stay inside. That may have some effect in the same way that, as some studies claim, India's birth rates started to fall once television was introduced. The theory goes that television became the primary form of entertainment:

http://www.geocurrents.info/population-geography/indias-plummeting-birthrate-a-television-induced-transformation

http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/voices/michael-shellenberger-and-ted-nordhaus/how-electricity-and-tv-defused-the-population-bomb/

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
[quote

just
kilenem said:
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:

So much for fresh.

just gotta point out that an italian bmt is the same thing as a spicy italian but with ham. so how does the bmt have less calories and fat then a spicy? there numbers are kinda effed up

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
O maestre said:

The crimes that are no longer being committed are things like nuisance crimes (vandalism, battery, drug dealing) because these people have something to do aside from go out, congregate, and try to find something to do.

Crimes of necessity are not necessarily the ones that are falling. Crimes that would normally committed by people who are bored are the ones going down.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
kilenem said:
O maestre said:

A lot people play video games for stress relief I don't see why that wouldn't cause people to be less aggressive. Socail and Economics are a big part but even with Detroit going bankrupt and has a complete crap education system. Detroit is no where near its murder rate when it was the Murder Capitol of the world. The averages of crime in Detroit are going down.
Or it could be that people are fleeing Detroit slowly depopulating it... also what the hell is there to steal or maim in a empty bankrupt city?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
DocMcCray said:
O maestre said:

The crimes that are no longer being committed are things like nuisance crimes (vandalism, battery, drug dealing) because these people have something to do aside from go out, congregate, and try to find something to do.

Crimes of necessity are not necessarily the ones that are falling. Crimes that would normally committed by people who are bored are the ones going down.
I am going to need a source for that, that crimes like vandalism and drug dealing(?!!) are being prevented through games. Second of all the article is talking about violent crime primarily, crimes that rarely fall into the category of "crimes of necessity" and more in the lines of "because sociopathic assholes exist"

Look bad apples and youth delinquency is going to exist regardless of the medium around them, angry violent anti-social youths will harm other people video games or not. There is no praise or blame to be given to any entertainment medium only the actions of the individual.

For the sake of argument lets say you are right and video games influence criminal behavior, are we not saying that Jack Thompson was right all along, that we can profile people by the entertainment that they consume, or don't consume? That we are indecisive muppets with no will. Can you imagine a kid being court ordered to play video games because of his violent tendencies?

The idea that when people become bored they turn into violent lunatics is ludicrous. Violent crime is committed by individuals who have a predisposition to it due to either mental malfunction, lack of morals or empathy, these people will find a way to hurt others no matter how great the new Wiistation One is.

I'll reiterate that before games there also existed law abiding citizens, that didn't go mad in violent rage because of lack of stimulation, or they used their free time on something that wasn't criminal. You make it sound like our parents generation were living in anarchy.

I know it is tempting to jump on this story and have it as a badge of validation for our pass time, but you can't have it both ways. This kind of "study" or rather assumption as far as I could tell from the source, is just as harmful for diluting the discourse about violence and its cause, prevention and remedy. There are no quick fixes to society's problems.

The article also goes on to talk in depth about concurrent social changes like demolishing of project housing and online illicit drug trade instead of street corners. Not attributed to games but rather societal and technological changes.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Does anyone else remember seeing the graph that shows this?

Or am I delusional from sleep again?

Though as a PS user, I find the term 'Xbox Effect' mildly insulting, it's not like there are two other manufacturers of gaming consoles... Oh, wait

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Caiphus said:
O maestre said:

I do see where you're coming from. These studies rub right up to our confirmation biases while the studies claiming that video games cause violence/anti-social behaviour go right against them.

There is a chance that the OP is onto something in the sense that teenage boys/young men may be now more encouraged to stay inside. That may have some effect in the same way that, as some studies claim, India's birth rates started to fall once television was introduced. The theory goes that television became the primary form of entertainment:

http://www.geocurrents.info/population-geography/indias-plummeting-birthrate-a-television-induced-transformation

http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/voices/michael-shellenberger-and-ted-nordhaus/how-electricity-and-tv-defused-the-population-bomb/
Oh yes the TV/entertainment effect is undeniable, a reversal of the blackouts and the curfews baby boom effect during the second world war.

But still do not think that it is comparable. In both of the above cases sex was used as an entertainment substitutes. Like you said it is tempting to have validation like this, but we can't have it both ways. We can't embrace the same arguments now that they favor us and throw logic away. Violence does not happen just because of boredom, certain individuals are predisposed and prone to violence, the causes can be many and can be complex. These predisposed anti-social individuals will find a way act out their tendencies regardless of what media they consume. That was the factual argument we made and the defenders of free speech made, when the likes of Jack Thompson blamed the worlds ills on our hobby. It was a sound and logical argument then and it still is now.

Lets look at extreme metal music, we have on one side a vast majority of law abiding people who enjoy it and claim that the music mellows them out. Then we have a small minority in the scene that embraces extreme right wing politics, murder and burning of churches. Do we blame metal for the crimes? do we praise metal for the mellow headbangers? or do we blame/praise the individuals for their morals or lack there of?

Media doesn't raise kids, parents and society does, the future generation will be a reflection of our efforts in instilling a good ethical foundation. If anything creative media exists solely to itself reflect the zeitgeist of its consumers.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Or maybe crime is increasing videogames because people don't want to go outside. Think about that.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I like how a small slight at Subway, which was an innocent joke, lead the majority of this thread.

As far as videogames reducing crime rate by reducing motivation to leave the house... HOW IS THIS A TRIUMPH! I'd rather have my kid take up petty crime then have no hobbies outside pushing buttons based on command prompts as his sole and only source of motivation to continue breathing.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
kilenem said:
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:
snip

Tormenting was around
JoshGod said:
kilenem said:
snip

There are a large amount people who I knew who only go to the Library to play games and to get a comic and if the computers were down that they left and went home.

A lot of people don't know how to torrent, pirate or crack games. I had a modded Xbox and didn't know. It had this weird logo that said evo X and a weird screen would pop up when I would press some buttons when it loaded. I know that it was moded know because I later learned that EVO X is a mod program and that weird screen was probably the menu for the mod. tools. It was only a few people who would find the emulators and ways to pirate games and distribute it to everyone else.
Please check your posts before posting. This seems unfinished not to mention you have the same exact quote twice