Video games once again responsible for all the ills in the world.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
French president urges parents to keep teens at home as government orders buses to stop at 9 p.m. | AP News

Relevant quote:
“We sometimes have the feeling that some of them are living out, in the streets, the video games that have intoxicated them,” he said of rioters.
Look at all these things caused by video games:
List of incidents of civil unrest in France - Wikipedia

'Member when Marie Antoinette said "Let them play Atari!" and they cut off her head? Damn vidja games!

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Of course the policemen who go "i'm gonna put a bullet in their head" before shhoting kids dead are not the ones suspected to play out their fantasies.

Anyway, it's Macron. That guy is a notorious piece of shit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah yeah, I remember hearing this shit when very serious people in very serious suits swore that video games were going to make me grow up to walk shirtless down the street to the right, beating up everyone in my way and eating floor chicken.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Ah Yes, video games, the tool of the bourgeoisie.
Based on your first post I'll assume you're simply ignorant rather than arguing in bad faith so I'll explain my reply in detail:

Macron said it's video games.

You said he said it instead of racism.

I said he said it instead of wealth inequality.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Based on your first post I'll assume you're simply ignorant rather than arguing in bad faith so I'll explain my reply in detail:

Macron said it's video games.

You said he said it instead of racism.

I said he said it instead of wealth inequality.
Well it's pretty cut and dry this is mainly racism, they shot a 17 year old Algerian kid. French police have a history of being racist. The police force has a systematic racism problem. Simple.

Last edited:

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Well it's pretty cut and dry this is mainly racism, they shot a 17 year old Algerian kid. French police have a history of being racist. The police force has a systematic racism problem. Simple.
I'm just not going to get into it with someone who uses the word "simple" when discussing socioeconomic and racial issues.
Either way, wasn't video games.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reminds me of when Jack Thompson was doing his thing, which coincidentally was 20 years ago. It's the 20 year pop culture cycle rule, baby. What's old is new again.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reminds me of when Jack Thompson was doing his thing, which coincidentally was 20 years ago. It's the 20 year pop culture cycle rule, baby. What's old is new again.
Give us back grunge and plaid and leave Thompson in the dumpster.
And then Sarkeesian became the new Jack Thompsons. Ironic, because the most the Thompson haters had somewhat nostalgia for the man, or had more respect for him compared to Sarkeesian. They and the French president are nothing more than schemers who think they know everything, and trying to fool delusional or desperate idiots into following their every rhetoric and word.

The only good thing I can say is, most people aren't buying his shit. So he can fuck off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
To be fair many of us will say the same about next-generation AR/VR games, and whatever new thing comes along.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Hm, this is probably a good thread to talk about the French protests themselves.

EDIT:
The lockdown order was fake.

Last edited:

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So, here's the thing. As someone who plays a lot of games, and has done so all my life, games frighten me. They have a power over people that I do not think any other medium has. They can convince people to spend tens of thousands of dollars they don't have on microtransactions. They can function as extremely effective propaganda, and create political identities so strong people start planning actual terrorism against anyone they think is trying to take their games away. Games cut really close to the way human brains fundamentally work, and because of this they open up incredibly dark possibilities. Games can become (and are becoming) a form of psychological manipulation, and I think one of my biggest fears is that over time more and more areas of life will be gameified into vehicles for psychological manipulation at the expense of human freedom.

That's what bothers me. There are real problems, but these people are too dumb and out of touch to even realize what those problems actually are.

Like, the weird thing is, if you were going to accuse anyone of being influenced by video games in this situation, wouldn't it be the cops? They have guns. They shot and killed someone seemingly without thinking. In the past, people in combat situations who were experiencing derealization would describe feeling like they were in a movie, now they describe it as feeling like a video game. Actual militaries invest heavily in games and keep trying to use them as recruitment and training aids. Games didn't cause people to experience states like derealization, but they do influence how we interpret the experience. This thin blue skidmark is going to go to court and claim he felt threatened and acted on instinct, where did that instinct come from?

I mean, probably not from video games, but it's still a better argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent